Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Powergaming / Metagaming.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Powergaming / Metagaming. Empty
PostSubject: Powergaming / Metagaming.   Powergaming / Metagaming. Icon_minitimeMon Feb 23, 2009 7:01 pm

POWERGAMING

Alot of people do mistakes on the "attempts" bit. Let's take an example:

** Mack grabs GeoWulf by the neck, repeatedly hitting him in the face until he falls unconscious. **

See here, I knock Geo out in one /me, meaning he has -NO- way to defend himself. This is unacceptable RP behaviour and will be punished. Now, if I instead go:

** Mack attempts to grab GeoWulf's neck, attempting to bash his face in. **

See this here, Geo has a chance to avoid. Many people think it's stupid to let the other defend himself, "Then they'll just dodge and block everything." Maybe they will, but that would also fall under the description of "powergaming."

Now, if Geo is a good RPer, he could do a compromise:

** GeoWulf gets hit in the face but quickly retaliates and hits Mack right on the cheek. **

Or, he could just let himself get hit in the face, he "submits":

** GeoWulf gets hit in the face over and over until he can barely speak properly **

And the third option is dodging:

** GeoWulf quickly grabs Mack's wrists, pulling him away from his neck. **

Now, if he dodges -EVERYTHING- I do, then that would also be powergaming. Dodging something is fine, as long as it's reasonable and physically possible.

Another note. If for example, you sneak up on someone, or they literally have NO chance to dodge an attack, you do not need to do attempts. Powergaming would be exceeding your own abilities.
But if you're going for a one-/me kill, then that would be powergaming also
Added by Geo: [If you're slayed or are a victim of an administrator command, it is -ALWAYS- an OOC action.]

METAGAMING

Metagaming doesn't happen as frequently but it still ocurrs. Example of metagaming is acting upon OOC information. For example, I have never met GeoWulf in-character, but still knows his name in-character by looking at the nametag above his head.

Neither of these are to be taking lightly and if you see someone do them, report it to a moderator or administrator as soon as possible.

Last edited by Kallistia on Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Powergaming / Metagaming.   Powergaming / Metagaming. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 1:10 pm

I got the stuff about being a victim of admin commands into it. =D Cause I'm the one that mentioned it first. (I don't know about thinking about it first, but I was the first one to mention it Razz)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Powergaming / Metagaming.   Powergaming / Metagaming. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 4:52 pm

Good for you.
Back to top Go down
Icaso

Icaso

Character sheet
Name: Icaso
Race: Earth.

PostSubject: Re: Powergaming / Metagaming.   Powergaming / Metagaming. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 8:05 pm

Richard Crimson wrote:
I got the stuff about being a victim of admin commands into it. =D Cause I'm the one that mentioned it first. (I don't know about thinking about it first, but I was the first one to mention it Razz)

Actualy, Quite Frankly.. Its uhh.. kinda obvious.. But Whatever floats your boat.
Back to top Go down
Matt O'Brien

Matt O'Brien

Character sheet
Name: Matthew Brandon O'Brien
Race: Human

PostSubject: Re: Powergaming / Metagaming.   Powergaming / Metagaming. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 11:29 am

Retro Gaming, Thanks to an Explanation from TRU.

Retro Gaming in a Basic Example is, "Hey, Stop Chasing me or you'll explode." Player 2. - "Huh?" Player 1 - "I put a bomb in your armor earlier." <-- He didn't but He's saying that he did, and probably plans on having it be true. Its completely different from a bluff.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/mattspagebrigantine

PostSubject: Re: Powergaming / Metagaming.   Powergaming / Metagaming. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 04, 2009 1:21 pm

I already posted retrogaming.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Powergaming / Metagaming.   Powergaming / Metagaming. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 12:09 am

I'd also like to point out that it'd be powergaming if you do a /me saying you icly run off and then you just turn around and sprint away non stop, not giving the person a time to react if he/she wishes to stop you. Not to mension bad IC behavior and general bad roleplay.
Back to top Go down
TRUlyjuST

TRUlyjuST

Character sheet
Name:
Race: Golden Retriever

PostSubject: Re: Powergaming / Metagaming.   Powergaming / Metagaming. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 3:14 pm

Matt O'Brien wrote:
Retro Gaming, Thanks to an Explanation from TRU.

Retro Gaming in a Basic Example is, "Hey, Stop Chasing me or you'll explode." Player 2. - "Huh?" Player 1 - "I put a bomb in your armor earlier." <-- He didn't but He's saying that he did, and probably plans on having it be true. Its completely different from a bluff.

Erm....I know this is kinda a necro, but....When did I say that?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Powergaming / Metagaming.   Powergaming / Metagaming. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Powergaming / Metagaming.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Olden Roleplay :: Aeria Section :: Guides to Roleplaying-
Jump to: