Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Child char rules

Go down 
+2
Donixs
Hyperiant
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Child char rules Empty
PostSubject: Child char rules   Child char rules Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 3:54 pm

The ones like they can't be main characters, and can't use magic. Is that in effect yet? I'd like an answer
from ADMINS only.
Back to top Go down
Hyperiant

Hyperiant

Child char rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Child char rules   Child char rules Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 4:07 pm

From my understanding, it isn't.

My main character is and always will be a child, and she's going to begin learning magic.
Back to top Go down

Child char rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Child char rules   Child char rules Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 4:09 pm

More battle kiddies. ;-;
Back to top Go down
Donixs
Basic Administrator
Donixs

Character sheet
Name:

Child char rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Child char rules   Child char rules Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 4:15 pm

Hyperiant wrote:
From my understanding, it isn't.

My main character is and always will be a child, and she's going to begin learning magic.

Exactly why we should ban childern characters.
Back to top Go down
Hyperiant

Hyperiant

Child char rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Child char rules   Child char rules Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 4:19 pm

I've been a respected member since February, and I RP my child characters well. People seem to enjoy RPing with them, they're fun, and they have a good level of depth. My first character was a child.

I see no reason why I can't keep them.
Back to top Go down

Child char rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Child char rules   Child char rules Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 4:47 pm

Okay, any of the "battle kiddies" that were made in this March or later, should be killed off. And then no more
should be allowed. (I feel slightly at fault since I think I started the "fad" of battle kiddies.. (FUCKING POSERS,
TRYING TO COPY MY IDEA!!!))
Back to top Go down
Donixs
Basic Administrator
Donixs

Character sheet
Name:

Child char rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Child char rules   Child char rules Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 5:23 pm

MIGHTY MAGIC BATTLE KIDS, GO

Child char rules A38-104
Back to top Go down
♥Lithium
President of the Gay Bar
♥Lithium

Character sheet
Name: Ahrian de Lioncourt
Race: Human

Child char rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Child char rules   Child char rules Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 6:35 pm

Donixs wrote:
Child char rules A38-104

I lol'd.
Back to top Go down
Hyperiant

Hyperiant

Child char rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Child char rules   Child char rules Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 7:25 pm

Donixs wrote:
MIGHTY MAGIC BATTLE KIDS, GO

Child char rules A38-104
Warning: Don't derail serious threads. This isn't Off-Topic.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
DEAR GOD DON'T LOOK IN HIS EYES
Munroe

Character sheet
Name:

Child char rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Child char rules   Child char rules Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 7:43 pm

I strongly agree with this new rule. Children under 13 (I think this should be 16, but okay) should not be allowed as main characters or to use magic.

It's not a question of whether or not it makes sense. Yes, okay, maybe under some unique circumstances a child could perhaps learn magic or sword-fighting (though they'd most likely suck at it and be weak and useless in combat).

I just think it's silly. A little kid running around casting spells and acting like an adult. They might as well be an adult. Their age is only a cosmetic thing, apparently. What's the point of making a little kid if they're going to act like an adult?

From what I've observed, there are several reasons:
- A simple desire to RP as a child out of interest.
- A desire to look "cute" and / or physically attractive ICly (Ex: wearing high skirts and a school uniform)
- Pedophilia (cybering with children - closely tied to above point)

While I've seen some people follow the top point, most people, it seems, follow the lower two. I'm not naming names, but suffice to say, that's why I don't like child characters.
Back to top Go down
Hyperiant

Hyperiant

Child char rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Child char rules   Child char rules Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 7:48 pm

I follow the first point, and I think child characters genuinely bring a different set of characteristics into play. They're more kiddish and sometimes clueless of the world around them.

The real issue is the sheer amount of people who aren't RPing child characters well.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
DEAR GOD DON'T LOOK IN HIS EYES
Munroe

Character sheet
Name:

Child char rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Child char rules   Child char rules Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 7:55 pm

Indeed. The masses are mucking things up for people who responsibly use child characters.

However, a child character should be at a great disadvantage, being so small and weak. Even with proper training, that's always an insurmountable obstacle. Only time can circumvent it. I don't know many young children that know master sword-fighting, and I doubt a kid can learn any decent magic-use in less than a few years' time. That's just because they're so uneducated and undeveloped mentally.
Back to top Go down

Child char rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Child char rules   Child char rules Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 8:01 pm

And not to mention, children wouldn't be able to build the proper muscles for anything until they start reaching the 14-17 year old range. Which would be quite the obstacle.

I think, in short, you can say:

If you're going to roleplay anyone under the age of 16, you should be doing it for greater depth in your RP. And not so you can have some super-magic battletoad-kid running around and messing things up for the gods.
Back to top Go down
Hyperiant

Hyperiant

Child char rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Child char rules   Child char rules Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 8:01 pm

None of my child characters (or any of my characters, for that matter) yet have the ability to use spells, or even weapons more than picking them up and using them, assuming it's not ridiculously heavy. The exception is Kadi, with a mini-crossbow. She isn't the best aim though, and it's not even a full-size crossbow. It can't pierce armor; maybe get lodged in wood, though. It can kill someone with a direct head shot, but who would she want to kill, and more importantly, who isn't wearing a helmet?
Back to top Go down

Child char rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Child char rules   Child char rules Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 8:30 pm

Quote :
and more importantly, who isn't wearing a helmet?

I can name a few.
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet
Name: Kain Redwell
Race: Human (?)

Child char rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Child char rules   Child char rules Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 9:22 pm

Regardless of details, the point of the argument in here still stands, that point being: Kid characters should be roleplayed correctly. Can they go a little nuts at times and do stupid shit? Sure. But it's ultimately a kid, and when you do something stupid, you pay the price, and kids will have the largest disadvantage there at all times, being the least-respected and most often neglected of all age groups. Really, a lot of us don't seem to have the heart to kill a kid. But, realistically, most folk wouldn't in medieval times wouldn't hesitate to backhand, bash, or inflict other serious harm on a child.

Furthermore, children are more susceptible to diseases- No such thing as vaccines in Aeria, people. Some children will be dead before a certain age, most a lot of firstborn wouldn't survive. When you play a kid, you're going to be facing more than people pushing you around- you still have an immune system to develop.

Must I go on? I think I will, to prove my point.

Roleplaying as a child-a real child- is HARD. If you want a young character that doesn't take much work, settle for a teen at our 16 year-old age limit. If you really want to be a child, go do some freakin' research.

And, Moon, if you see this thread, Kain wasn't lying- lifting all those weights will stunt Richard's growth. He's gonna be a short adult. Kid's shouldn't build muscle and athletic ability, they should focus on acrobatic ability, and limberness, doing stretches and whatnot. Just tossing that in.

On the point of magic, that is about the -only- thing a kid could work and excel at, but let's face it, unless you've bothered to roll a child prodigy that's spent their life studying continuously, your kid character will most likely not be able to compete with a real mage. A child's education is, also, extremely limited- public schools didn't exist save for churches, and likewise, Olden land probably relies on the clerical classes to pass on knowledge. The only other bet you have is a private teacher or professor, or maybe relying on a college- though colleges typically would only accept adult students.

And I'm pretty sure 16 is the medieval age for 'adult,' so when you hit 16, despite being called a kid, you technically are, and are expect to act like, a grown man.

Gah. Ages. This is why I keep to adults, usually. My train of thought wobbled on and off the topic, there, but I hope I got my point across.

/rant.
Back to top Go down
Hyperiant

Hyperiant

Child char rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Child char rules   Child char rules Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 9:40 pm

Kain wrote:
most folk wouldn't in medieval times wouldn't hesitate to backhand, bash, or inflict other serious harm on a child.
It's been stated multiple times that we're not in medieval ages. That's why it's called Fantasy RP instead of Medieval RP.

Interesting points, though.
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet
Name: Kain Redwell
Race: Human (?)

Child char rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Child char rules   Child char rules Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2009 10:59 pm

Yeah, told you moved around a bunch.

Off-topic:
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Hyperiant

Hyperiant

Child char rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Child char rules   Child char rules Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 12:29 am

As well, this is an entirely different universe, and you can't dictate society when it's decided collectively by the people inside it. Meaning, people can RP their viewpoints entirely different than they should or not be.

That being said, I think the real answer to this topic is...

No. There aren't any new child character rules.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

Child char rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Child char rules   Child char rules Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 12:40 am

That's good, we can start killing them off.
Back to top Go down
https://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm161/v4v_bucket2/12325130553

Child char rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Child char rules   Child char rules Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 5:49 am

Quote :
No. There aren't any new child character rules.

Yet.
If it continues at this rate, there's going to be sooner or later.
Back to top Go down

Child char rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Child char rules   Child char rules Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 9:29 am

Kain just destroyed my whole RP experience with Richard on his first post of this page.

I have NOTHING more to say about it.

Requesting total thread lock.
Back to top Go down

Child char rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Child char rules   Child char rules Icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 9:59 am

Locked.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Child char rules Empty
PostSubject: Re: Child char rules   Child char rules Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Child char rules
Page 1 of 1