Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The new map

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

The new map Empty
PostSubject: The new map   The new map Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 2:58 pm

So yeah, I consulted Osk about the map, we started wondering on how we could get rid of the lag. Unfortunatly I have no mapping experiance, but I'll post this to all of you so that maybe one of you could find a solution.

Quote :

Rutalisk [For the swarm!]: yeah, gamekilling lag made me D:
Rutalisk [For the swarm!]: it's prob cuz of all the trees
Rutalisk [For the swarm!]: so, I was just wondering
Oskutin: nope
Rutalisk [For the swarm!]: no?
Rutalisk [For the swarm!]: what causes the lag, or do you know?
Oskutin: village made visleaces in to "paradox" and made it lag
Rutalisk [For the swarm!]: hmm, any way we may fix it?
Oskutin: hmm
Rutalisk [For the swarm!]: because we really want to use this map for helping revive Olden
Rutalisk [For the swarm!]: but, we'd need the lag to be a bit less
Rutalisk [For the swarm!]: for it to work
Oskutin: i can give you the vmf
Oskutin: and you can try to make it lag less
Rutalisk [For the swarm!]: unfortunatly I myself don't have any experiance with mapping, but I could maybe post it on the forums and see if anyone in the community could give it a shot
Oskutin: maybe just recompiling can solve the problem
Rutalisk [For the swarm!]: btw, the castle is godly win, and I adore the new Inn, it reminds me of a sea-shanty style sort of thing
Oskutin: Very Happy
Oskutin: i can give the vmf tomorrow

Also...

Quote :

Oskutin: also when i give the vmf
Oskutin: i have one request
Oskutin: sauna to the village
Oskutin: Very Happy
Oskutin: could be owned by inn
Rutalisk [For the swarm!]: I'll make a point of lettin people know
Rutalisk [For the swarm!]: we could use one of the two or so buildings with no interior
Oskutin: k
Rutalisk [For the swarm!]: if I recal, there's a smaller building in the town square
Rutalisk [For the swarm!]: recall*
Back to top Go down
Psycheandromida
He Who Wears Sunglasses at Night
Psycheandromida

The new map Empty
PostSubject: Re: The new map   The new map Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 3:24 pm

I'm very new to mapping, but I'd be more than happy to give it a whirl

Ps; Ruta, add me on steam.
Back to top Go down

The new map Empty
PostSubject: Re: The new map   The new map Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 3:36 pm

Done and done.

Also, I'm gonna make a list of things to do, so that we know our priorities.

-Reduce number of trees. Since let's face it, there's probably more than there needs to be.
-Remove lag (This takes number one priority)
-Add interiors to ALL the buildings in the village (Only one or two, shouldn't be too hard)
-Make it seem more like a ocean coast, as opposed to a lake (Not really nessesary, but couldn't hurt for the lore's sake. Would probably just consist on tweaking a few things on the background/skybox of the map.)
-Add sauna to town (Goes hand in hand with adding interiors)

Any further suggestions add them here so long as they are reasonable, and that you've actually tried the map and given it a good examination.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
DEAR GOD DON'T LOOK IN HIS EYES
Munroe

Character sheet
Name:

The new map Empty
PostSubject: Re: The new map   The new map Icon_minitimeFri Dec 11, 2009 5:23 pm

Oskutin said something about visleafs. That means the map lags because it has too many brushes / isn't optimized properly.

Ask Oskutin if there's a leak, if there isn't one, I'd focus on the castle in the vmf for anywhere the brush count can be reduced.
Back to top Go down
Oskutin

The new map Empty
PostSubject: Re: The new map   The new map Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 3:16 am

There are no leaks.
And the village (exspecially the roofs) make thousands of vvisleaves and slow down the vvis compile and make the map lag.
Back to top Go down

The new map Empty
PostSubject: Re: The new map   The new map Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 3:36 am

Right. Well he gave me the vmf and of course I have no idea how to map, so it's no good to me. Also asked that I wouldn't publicaly spread it around. So that means one lucky winner will get the vmf on the condition that they DON'T SHOW IT TO ANYBODY! With that said, the one person better know what they're doing. If you think you got what it takes to fix the lag (And maybe do the list of things posted above) either come see me on SF, or post here in this thread. If you -do- plan on tackling the issue, please, for the love of god, talk to Oskutin about how you may go about fixing the problem, and accomplishing the various other tasks. If you are chosen due to being of sufficiant skill, you'll be told and given the link, the link must never be shown to anyone else, I can't stress that point enough.
Back to top Go down
kamaitama

kamaitama

Character sheet
Name: Naria Ordal
Race: Human

The new map Empty
PostSubject: Re: The new map   The new map Icon_minitimeSat Dec 12, 2009 5:33 am

I can do it, send it over.

I actually know what the issue is, it's readily apparent.
Back to top Go down

The new map Empty
PostSubject: Re: The new map   The new map Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2009 6:59 pm

Alright, at this point it's obvious Kam's not going to get any real progress done on the map, since he goes offline every time I ask about it. I'm wondering who else can deal with de-laging of the map?
Back to top Go down
kamaitama

kamaitama

Character sheet
Name: Naria Ordal
Race: Human

The new map Empty
PostSubject: Re: The new map   The new map Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 7:44 am

Rutabega wrote:
Alright, at this point it's obvious Kam's not going to get any real progress done on the map, since he goes offline every time I ask about it. I'm wondering who else can deal with de-laging of the map?

Whoa whoa, hey what the fuck man, hold on.

I've been REALLY busy since a relative of mine died on a plane crash, he was the pilot. I had to catch a flight to a really far away place, and I just returned yesterday. Pat is allowed to take breaks, so why not me too.

And I can guarantee you this, nobody else is gonna work on it, cause nobody else really knows how to work around the engine, except Oskutin. What you're asking is not taking off some props. That would help, but that's not necessary, because the real issue is visleafs, which are HARD to work with, they're no easy stuff, and as far as I can see, the default compiler for visleaf data, VVIS, is fucking up around some edges, causing some visleafs to visleaf themselves, fucking up the whole graph, and making the map compiler just skip VVIS.

You CAN use the map anyway, everything gets laggy on multiplayer, barely anyone will spot the difference.

Since I didn't comment on this, I probably should about now.

Rutabega wrote:

-Reduce number of trees. Since let's face it, there's probably more than there needs to be.

I tried this, it looked horribly empty, leave it as it is.

Rutabega wrote:

-Remove lag (This takes number one priority)

The portal file is a real mess, and VVIS is not helping at all. I'm gonna go ahead and see if doing a full compile with custom settings will fix the problem (It takes several hours )

Rutabega wrote:
-Add interiors to ALL the buildings in the village (Only one or two, shouldn't be too hard)

Adding more props probably would raise the ent limit to something nearing Evocity2. It's not really necessary when you can spawn props anyway to make a room fit your tastes, and, it's far more network efficient to only create props when you want props.

Rutabega wrote:

-Make it seem more like a ocean coast, as opposed to a lake (Not really nessesary, but couldn't hurt for the lore's sake. Would probably just consist on tweaking a few things on the background/skybox of the map.)

That's a REALLY extensive task, and would greatly against Oskutin's intention of the map. It would involve changing a whole lot of textures, probably creating new textures in the way, changing the lighting scheme to make it more coast like, adding an actual coast in the way, changing the trees, probably removing many. It's really difficult, and Oskutin would probably be pissed.

Rutabega wrote:

-Add sauna to town (Goes hand in hand with adding interiors)

Actually, it wouldn't be all too difficult, since there's already a sauna in the map, I'd just have to move it elsewhere within the town instead of within the castle. Then again, is it really necessary? Are we gonna block the castle as a whole?
Back to top Go down
Psycheandromida
He Who Wears Sunglasses at Night
Psycheandromida

The new map Empty
PostSubject: Re: The new map   The new map Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 2:04 pm

Body slammed by Kam.

Also- my condolences regarding your relative.
Back to top Go down

The new map Empty
PostSubject: Re: The new map   The new map Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 4:45 pm

In regards to the Sauna. Osk said that was his request if we were to edit the map. Just passing on what he asked. Anything else there is really give or take on what you feel needs to be done, or feel like spending the time to do.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
DEAR GOD DON'T LOOK IN HIS EYES
Munroe

Character sheet
Name:

The new map Empty
PostSubject: Re: The new map   The new map Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2009 4:55 pm

Sorry about your relative, Kam. Looks like you got the map well under control. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
LawnJesus

LawnJesus

The new map Empty
PostSubject: Re: The new map   The new map Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2009 12:18 am

Good luck, Kam. I share my condolences as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The new map Empty
PostSubject: Re: The new map   The new map Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The new map
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Olden Roleplay :: OOC Chat :: General Discussion-
Jump to: