Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Character Creation

Go down 
+3
BloodStream
Blitz
Jackxter
7 posters

What?
Force people to apply for a character as soon as they join.
Character Creation I_vote1211%Character Creation I_vote14
 11% [ 3 ]
Force people to apply for a character if they seem to be becoming regulars.
Character Creation I_vote1246%Character Creation I_vote14
 46% [ 13 ]
Keep things the way they are. Encourage character creation on the forums but don't force them to do anything.
Character Creation I_vote1243%Character Creation I_vote14
 43% [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 28

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Jackxter

Jackxter

Character sheet
Name: Judith Both
Race: Human

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Character Creation   Character Creation Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 4:50 pm

I've had some conflicting thoughts on whether or not to force people who stay on the server for more then a week to create a character post on the forums to be judged. Hopefully this thread will help me make the best decision. Feel free to voice your opinions below. Keep in mind the vote will not lead to an ultimate determination and that this will be for my own server and not Kali's.

Last edited by Jackxter on Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Blitz

Blitz

Character sheet
Name: Herr Doktor
Race: Doktor.

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 4:55 pm

torn between 2 and 3 since 2 seems kind of harsh and pushy.

2 it is.
Back to top Go down
BloodStream

BloodStream

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 5:07 pm

Blitz wrote:
torn between 2 and 3 since 2 seems kind of harsh and pushy.

2 it is.

That's just due to the way Jacker's worded it. I think he did that on purpose.
Back to top Go down
Jackxter

Jackxter

Character sheet

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 5:11 pm

I didn't have any intentions in mind. You'd be forcing them to create a character through warnings.
Back to top Go down
BloodStream

BloodStream

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 5:16 pm

You could've used less bias language, but I don't really mind. I'll still be punishing people for having stupid characters, either way. We need a major cleanup, from what I've heard.
Back to top Go down
Blitz

Blitz

Character sheet
Name: Herr Doktor
Race: Doktor.

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 5:30 pm

oh, I didn't even notice that, was going to do 2 anyway.
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet
Name: Kain Redwell
Race: Human (?)

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 8:06 pm

How about option 4, restrict the amount of things a non-app'd character can do/have/be, so if people like it, they app for the char (so it becomes official) and can make the char grow and develop from there, but won't be forced to do anything if they're comfortable as is.

Only reason character apps exist is to make sure a character is fair, and makes sense in terms of lore, story, and common sense.
Back to top Go down
Jackxter

Jackxter

Character sheet

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 8:41 pm

Kain wrote:
How about option 4, restrict the amount of things a non-app'd character can do/have/be, so if people like it, they app for the char (so it becomes official) and can make the char grow and develop from there, but won't be forced to do anything if they're comfortable as is.

Only reason character apps exist is to make sure a character is fair, and makes sense in terms of lore, story, and common sense.

We actually did something like that back in the old desert roleplay. People would have to apply on the forums in order to become part of the COA (the military faction). Unfortunately, a lack of a playerbase led to a lack of COA members so we ended up breaking the rule. It may work a lot better this time round. Maybe if we add more incentive then just the ability to join certain factions.
Back to top Go down
Psycheandromida
He Who Wears Sunglasses at Night
Psycheandromida

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 11:21 pm

Let`s keep 3 so Arthurs and co. can continue to spam any and all roleplay with Mary Sues. It`s okay because we won`t be cramping their style.
Back to top Go down
Jackxter

Jackxter

Character sheet

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation Icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 11:54 pm

Psycheandromida wrote:
Let`s keep 3 so Arthurs and co. can continue to spam any and all roleplay with Mary Sues. It`s okay because we won`t be cramping their style.

Arthurs and people like Arthurs have been disciplined in the server for bullshit characters many times. I don't think anyone is suggesting action not being taken against them. This thread is to determine the best course of action against bullshit chars and not to determine if action should be taken at all. Should the problem be solved on the forums or on the servers, basically.
Back to top Go down
LawnJesus

LawnJesus

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 12:02 am

I like option two because of how judgment can occur in server first, before having to wait for a character to be playable through application. That way, admins can suggest to players what should be done to alter the character.

Fuck, I don't even RP on Space RP, but maybe what I said could resonate to the entire Aeria/Olden community.
Back to top Go down
Jackxter

Jackxter

Character sheet

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 12:10 am

LawnJesus wrote:
I like option two because of how judgment can occur in server first, before having to wait for a character to be playable through application. That way, admins can suggest to players what should be done to alter the character.

Fuck, I don't even RP on Space RP, but maybe what I said could resonate to the entire Aeria/Olden community.

Hmmm, it may also make people feel more welcome. Though they may be sticking around on the server because they are enjoying themselves and not garnering criticism, when they create a character that is approved by the community as a whole may make them feel attached to the roleplay in a way, as their character is now 'official.' Hook line and sucker XD.

I'm sort of leaning towards option four a little myself though, as I think an incentive system may have the same effect as above with a similar number of players without isolating those who may not have the time to sign up on the forums and create a character. The last thing to consider is that some people can be truly shy and are not really forum people and yet are still great rpers. Not many, but some.
Back to top Go down
BloodStream

BloodStream

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 2:35 am

Jackxter wrote:
Hmmm, it may also make people feel more welcome. Though they may be sticking around on the server because they are enjoying themselves and not garnering criticism, when they create a character that is approved by the community as a whole may make them feel attached to the roleplay in a way, as their character is now 'official.' Hook line and sucker XD.

I'm sort of leaning towards option four a little myself though, as I think an incentive system may have the same effect as above with a similar number of players without isolating those who may not have the time to sign up on the forums and create a character. The last thing to consider is that some people can be truly shy and are not really forum people and yet are still great rpers. Not many, but some.

I was shy. I didn't want to go on your forums, or post at all when I first joined you. I think it was a conversation with Psyche, ironically enough, that made me realise it wasn't so bad and I stayed.
Nobody's gonna be so shy that they won't want to stay after being on the forums for a while.
Back to top Go down
Markka
Markka

Character sheet
Name: Mirage Silverspine

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 12:36 pm

2/4.

Let people settle and adjust to the server and setting and learn while playing, while not being able to gain extensive abilities, equipments and whatnot until their characters have been approved by the community.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Character Creation Empty
PostSubject: Re: Character Creation   Character Creation Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Character Creation
Page 1 of 1