Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A THREAD REGARDING A MAP.

Go down 
+9
Jack
Markka
Monkeyfisker
B3SERK
PuPeT-KaI
Psycheandromida
Rutabega
Xeloras
Kali
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Edited Lakeland or brand new map.
Lakeland.
A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. I_vote1231%A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. I_vote14
 31% [ 8 ]
Brand new map.
A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. I_vote1269%A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. I_vote14
 69% [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 26

AuthorMessage
Kali

Kali

Character sheet
Name:

A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. Empty
PostSubject: A THREAD REGARDING A MAP.   A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 7:59 pm

so i offered to make a map a while ago to psyche and the feedback i got through him from various people was generally "yeah cool"

i have acquired the .vmf for rp_lakeland and i've been told you guys have permission to edit it, although from prior experience i know i suck pretty hard at editing other people's maps and keeping style & quality completely consistent.

I'd happily try starting one from scratch if i can get a big ol' list of things you guys would want in it written up and agreed on, along with references for visual styles and stuff and layouts where possible. I'll still need a big ol' list of what you want adding/changing to lakeland if you choose that.

all of this will have to wait till i've finished my map for Kodu however, so that leaves plenty of time for planning and shit.
Back to top Go down
Xeloras
Arrogant Prick of an Admin
Xeloras

PostSubject: Re: A THREAD REGARDING A MAP.   A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 10:21 pm

Well what exactly is your concept of a "New map," it's such a vague way to put it. For all I know it could be a map consisting of two small deserted islands sitting on either side of a sea with a wall made of Wallace Breens in the center.
Back to top Go down
Rutabega
Rutabega

PostSubject: Re: A THREAD REGARDING A MAP.   A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 10:39 pm

I figure editing lakeland, it'd take far less time and Oskutin's working on his next medieval map so going to the effort for a whole new map seems somewhat pointless at this stage. And yeah, what Xeloras said, imo pretty much everyone is gonna vote for a new map because it's equally as easy for them to say "new map!" as opposed to simply adding on to a map we already have.

We got the lakeland VMF with permission to edit it, why waste it?
Back to top Go down
Psycheandromida
He Who Wears Sunglasses at Night
Psycheandromida

PostSubject: Re: A THREAD REGARDING A MAP.   A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 11:43 pm

MrClean had a map already in development, but he is often restricted with time, so I wanted there to be no pressure for him.

If anybody remembers the thread I made entitled rp_medievallol, showing pictures of a medieval map in development, you will be happy to know that Kali was the one to work on that map, his work being far from sub par.
Back to top Go down
Rutabega
Rutabega

PostSubject: Re: A THREAD REGARDING A MAP.   A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 12:49 am

Don't get me wrong, I have seen Kali's stuff and I'm not at all doubting how good he is, it's just that with maps already in development do we need another one added to those already on their way as opposed to quickfixing (more or less) a map we have permission to edit until these new releases do come out?

Edit: Had to go back to that old thread to be reminded but I do recall having my balls blown of at seeing them castle screenies.
Back to top Go down
PuPeT-KaI

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: A THREAD REGARDING A MAP.   A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 1:34 am

We could use an edited Lakeland at first, and then over time make a new map to fit more to the communities wants for buildings and homes. Wouldn't have to be fast, but everyone could give a say on what kind of homes would be nice in the maps, and what kinds of building, and so on.
Back to top Go down
B3SERK

B3SERK

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: A THREAD REGARDING A MAP.   A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. Icon_minitimeSat Dec 11, 2010 7:33 am

Edited lakeland, go
Back to top Go down
Monkeyfisker

Monkeyfisker

PostSubject: Re: A THREAD REGARDING A MAP.   A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 8:05 pm

I'd say optimizing Lakeland so it can be used temporarily without anyone complaining about lag, don't get me wrong, Oskutins stuff is great but it generally has bad optimization.
Back to top Go down
Psycheandromida
Psycheandromida

PostSubject: Re: A THREAD REGARDING A MAP.   A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 8:09 pm

I've never seen or heard of any problems with lag in Oskutin's map.

Ever.
Back to top Go down
Xeloras
Arrogant Prick of an Admin
Xeloras

PostSubject: Re: A THREAD REGARDING A MAP.   A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 8:12 pm

I think he's referring to the Jitteriness that happens eventually and takes a map restart to get rid of.
Back to top Go down
Rutabega
Rutabega

PostSubject: Re: A THREAD REGARDING A MAP.   A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 8:28 pm

That's not a problem with the map, happend on mountain too, probably something server related.
Back to top Go down
Monkeyfisker

Monkeyfisker

PostSubject: Re: A THREAD REGARDING A MAP.   A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 8:37 pm

No, if I remember right Oskutin has alot of holes in his maps, generally.
Back to top Go down
Markka
Markka

Character sheet
Name: Mirage Silverspine
Race: Human

PostSubject: Re: A THREAD REGARDING A MAP.   A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 6:18 am

If you're gonna edit Lakeland, PLEASE GET RID OF THE GODAWFUL SPAWN. If two players spawn at remotely the same time, you both get stuck. That sucks some abnormally sized phallus. Thank you.
Back to top Go down
Jack
President of the Gay Bar
Jack

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: A THREAD REGARDING A MAP.   A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 9:14 am

I don't see why we need a new map in the first place.
Back to top Go down
Phry

Phry

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: A THREAD REGARDING A MAP.   A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 9:46 am

Lakeland is an awful map.

We are definitely not going to be using it for very long, so why bother editting it?

rp_mountainvillage suits all of our needs and has a night variant.

I'm sorry but Lakeland just can't compare.
Back to top Go down
Mack
THE GLORY
Mack

PostSubject: Re: A THREAD REGARDING A MAP.   A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 10:14 am

wait wait wait

so people are saying they don't want a new map instead of an edited lakeland, because;

1. it's TOO EASY for us to say "new map" instead of "edit old one",
2. people are already working on OTHER MAPS, (THAT ARE NOT DEDICATED TO OLDEN'S NEEDS)

that's just.. wow.

seriously, i'm going to say make a new map, where we list the things we want in it.
because god knows, if we have a map tailored to our roleplay, made by a good mapper, it's going to be 400^4 times better than any other map that some random guy just smacked together for general roleplay purposes.

and since kali feels that editing lakeland is something that he quite isn't the best at, then i say don't edit it.

and really, everybody hates lakeland.
Back to top Go down
Kali

Kali

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: A THREAD REGARDING A MAP.   A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 11:22 am

Psycheandromida wrote:
I've never seen or heard of any problems with lag in Oskutin's map.

Ever.

it's not lag, it's framerate.

oskutin sucks humongous amounts of dick at optimisation, remember rp_year1595?

when you went over to the smaller island and looked at the main island, your fps would drop like a motherfucker, even more so if people had anything spawned over there.
Back to top Go down
Rutabega
Rutabega

PostSubject: Re: A THREAD REGARDING A MAP.   A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 6:11 pm

Osk isn't "some random guy". Every map we've used has been one of his and we actually did collaborate with him on mountain village via a thread and having people join up the incomplete map to give suggestions and whatnot.
Back to top Go down
Psycheandromida
Psycheandromida

PostSubject: Re: A THREAD REGARDING A MAP.   A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 6:16 pm

Rutabega wrote:
Osk isn't "some random guy". Every map we've used has been one of his and we actually did collaborate with him on mountain village via a thread and having people join up the incomplete map to give suggestions and whatnot.

That's not collaborating, that's giving suggestions.

Kali, you should just do a new map entirely. I've seen lakeland in hammer editor, no result is worth sorting through that.
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet
Name: Kain Redwell
Race: Human (?)

PostSubject: Re: A THREAD REGARDING A MAP.   A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 6:44 pm

This is beyond a vote, really. We're going to need a new map, period. Lakeland makes some people disconnect or crash, and kills one's frame rate worse than other maps. That, and we may need to move in the future, so it'd be better to have something ready rather than spruce up a map we might abandon later on, anyway.
Back to top Go down
LawnJesus

LawnJesus

PostSubject: Re: A THREAD REGARDING A MAP.   A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 8:45 pm

I agree that we need a new map, but for the time being couldn't we switch back to a map like forestvillage?
Back to top Go down
Mack
THE GLORY
Mack

PostSubject: Re: A THREAD REGARDING A MAP.   A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 10:46 am

LawnJesus wrote:
I agree that we need a new map, but for the time being couldn't we switch back to a map like forestvillage?

i say stick with mountainvillage until the new one is done. forestvillage was a framerate rape beyond repair.
Back to top Go down
PuPeT-KaI

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: A THREAD REGARDING A MAP.   A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 4:53 pm

I miss forestvillage ;-;
I still remember the whole map.
Back to top Go down
LawnJesus

LawnJesus

PostSubject: Re: A THREAD REGARDING A MAP.   A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 5:53 pm

I wouldn't mind switching back to any of the previous maps. I'm just kinda tried of the framerape.
Back to top Go down
Phry

Phry

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: A THREAD REGARDING A MAP.   A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 6:41 pm

Yeah uh, let's stick to mountainvillage k?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A THREAD REGARDING A MAP.   A THREAD REGARDING A MAP. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A THREAD REGARDING A MAP.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next