Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Oskutin just released all his VMFs

Go down 
+5
Rutabega
Krug
ViralHatred
Mack
kamaitama
9 posters
AuthorMessage
kamaitama

kamaitama

Character sheet
Name: Naria Ordal
Race: Human

Oskutin just released all his VMFs Empty
PostSubject: Oskutin just released all his VMFs   Oskutin just released all his VMFs Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 9:09 am

Back to top Go down
Mack
THE GLORY
Mack

PostSubject: Re: Oskutin just released all his VMFs   Oskutin just released all his VMFs Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 10:06 am

why the hell would we want oskutins work

eww filthy whatever nationality he was because it sure as hell wasnt english-speaking
Back to top Go down
ViralHatred
Radiation Moderator
ViralHatred

PostSubject: Re: Oskutin just released all his VMFs   Oskutin just released all his VMFs Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 1:41 pm

Not to mention his maps are poorly optimised and are completely pointless for actual MP play.
Back to top Go down
Http://www.Radiation-Roleplay.com
Krug

Krug

PostSubject: Re: Oskutin just released all his VMFs   Oskutin just released all his VMFs Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 1:48 pm

Optimise his maps?
Back to top Go down
ViralHatred
Radiation Moderator
ViralHatred

PostSubject: Re: Oskutin just released all his VMFs   Oskutin just released all his VMFs Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 2:34 pm

Ramona wrote:
Optimise his maps?

You optimise from the start, not as an after thought. Mapping doesn't work like that.

It's also because Oskutin would be so far up your ass.
Back to top Go down
Rutabega
Rutabega

PostSubject: Re: Oskutin just released all his VMFs   Oskutin just released all his VMFs Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 3:21 pm

I've had his VMFs for almost half a year now.

Also, I've always thought his maps were fun to run Olden on. Did I miss the sudden bandwagon of hating Oskutin for whatever reason?
Back to top Go down
ViralHatred
Radiation Moderator
ViralHatred

PostSubject: Re: Oskutin just released all his VMFs   Oskutin just released all his VMFs Icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 3:24 pm

Rutabega wrote:
I've had his VMFs for almost half a year now.

Also, I've always thought his maps were fun to run Olden on. Did I miss the sudden bandwagon of hating Oskutin for whatever reason?

They're pretty yes. But they were designed for SP not MP and as such lack the design attributes of a MP map.
Back to top Go down
Omap

Omap

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Oskutin just released all his VMFs   Oskutin just released all his VMFs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 12:07 am

Optomizing oskutens maps, Lets see. You'd have to redo most of the geomertry, the whole lighting, add more Func_Details, remove a lot of fog and entities like that, cut the skybox, COMPLETLY redo the big mountain (all of them ) and then after all that is done realize he made it in the damn counter strike engine. fffff

Back to top Go down
Mack
THE GLORY
Mack

PostSubject: Re: Oskutin just released all his VMFs   Oskutin just released all his VMFs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 7:22 am

Quote :
Did I miss the sudden bandwagon of hating Oskutin for whatever reason?

i've hated him since the first time i set foot on one of his maps because they're all shite from any and all viewpoints except for how the ENVIRONMENT looks, and that only looks okay. Towns and shit are so tiny and poorly designed that it'd make the worst 12-year-old mapper cry.
Back to top Go down
ViralHatred
Radiation Moderator
ViralHatred

PostSubject: Re: Oskutin just released all his VMFs   Oskutin just released all his VMFs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 7:43 am

Omap wrote:
all that is done realize he made it in the damn counter strike engine. fffff

You do know the CSS got updated to the OB engine along with HL2 and EP1 and that all his map entities are supported by GMod's deafult CSS support right?
Back to top Go down
Phry

Phry

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Oskutin just released all his VMFs   Oskutin just released all his VMFs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 11:39 am

I have no problems with Oskutin and think his maps are perfectly fine.

Back to top Go down
ViralHatred
Radiation Moderator
ViralHatred

PostSubject: Re: Oskutin just released all his VMFs   Oskutin just released all his VMFs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 11:41 am

Phry wrote:

You're not a mapper so you don't know half the problems. Neutral
Back to top Go down
Phry

Phry

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Oskutin just released all his VMFs   Oskutin just released all his VMFs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 2:50 pm

ViralHatred wrote:
Phry wrote:

You're not a mapper so you don't know half the problems. Neutral

I'm attempted mapping and I know how hard it is to pick up. I'm just saying, fling critique when you can make maps as suitable as Oskutin. I think only Omaps is the one who can do so. Possibly Kali, but he maps for different stuff.
Back to top Go down
Kali

Kali

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Oskutin just released all his VMFs   Oskutin just released all his VMFs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 4:19 pm

i can map the same sort of stuff as oskutin if i put my mind to it and if i feel like it, but i don't really have much of an interest in foresty medieval-y settings so i choose not to make maps like that. i tried once but it sucked.

i might have to look at gm_ship_3 though since the .vmf for that is in there.

might give me some motivation to finish my big shitty boat map.
Back to top Go down
Rutabega
Rutabega

PostSubject: Re: Oskutin just released all his VMFs   Oskutin just released all his VMFs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 5:17 pm

One thing I've noticed about gmod mappers is they rip on eachother so much, saying how every map so and so made sucks and sofroth.

Not sure why.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
DEAR GOD DON'T LOOK IN HIS EYES
Munroe

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Oskutin just released all his VMFs   Oskutin just released all his VMFs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 6:24 pm

Rutabega wrote:
One thing I've noticed about Gmod mappers is they rip on each other so much, saying how every map so and so made sucks and so forth.

Not sure why.

I'm not sure why, either. I never had a problem with Oskutin's maps. They look damn good, and are very atmospheric. The lag is there, but I hardly notice it, even on the server. It seems to be the latest fad to rip on Oskutin just because his maps drop your framerate below 60 FPS.
Back to top Go down
Rutabega
Rutabega

PostSubject: Re: Oskutin just released all his VMFs   Oskutin just released all his VMFs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 6:44 pm

Munroe wrote:
I'm not sure why, either. I never had a problem with Oskutin's maps. They look damn good, and are very atmospheric. The lag is there, but I hardly notice it, even on the server. It seems to be the latest fad to rip on Oskutin just because his maps drop your framerate below 60 FPS.

That sums up my thoughts on the issue. Personally I find the server tends to cause just as much lag or more of the map it's self, though I haven't had any issues at all since I got my new computer.
Back to top Go down
Kali

Kali

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Oskutin just released all his VMFs   Oskutin just released all his VMFs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 8:21 pm

I tended to rip on oskutin's maps since for a long time he made nothing but repetitive forest village maps with ridiculous blue fog

as nice as his forest village maps are after he released the 10th "map set in forest with town and finnish name" map then it started to take the piss

his newer stuff is alright but probably is as laggy as his old stuff

and one thing that personally annoys the fuck out of me is how patriotic he is and how he makes all his maps BLATANTLY FINLAND with finnish names and signs and whatnot

i can't explain why exactly but that just pisses me off so god damn much
Back to top Go down
Omap

Omap

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Oskutin just released all his VMFs   Oskutin just released all his VMFs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 10:12 pm

Rutabega wrote:
One thing I've noticed about gmod mappers is they rip on eachother so much, saying how every map so and so made sucks and sofroth.

Not sure why.

It's kind of a hobby to point out ever single minor flaw in a map to the point where the creator tries to kill themself. besides my maps are far from perfect.
Back to top Go down
Mack
THE GLORY
Mack

PostSubject: Re: Oskutin just released all his VMFs   Oskutin just released all his VMFs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 10:32 pm

Quote :
It's kind of a hobby to point out ever single minor flaw in a map to the point where the creator tries to kill themself.

i've taken it even further than a hobby.

for me, making people kill themselves is a lifestyle.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
DEAR GOD DON'T LOOK IN HIS EYES
Munroe

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Oskutin just released all his VMFs   Oskutin just released all his VMFs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 10:33 pm

Kali wrote:
and one thing that personally annoys the fuck out of me is how patriotic he is and how he makes all his maps BLATANTLY FINLAND with finnish names and signs and whatnot

Because everyone should hate their own country

Mack wrote:
Quote :
It's kind of a hobby to point out ever single minor flaw in a map to the point where the creator tries to kill themself.

i've taken it even further than a hobby.

for me, making people kill themselves is a lifestyle.

Sending them to happy fun land doesn't count
Back to top Go down
Omap

Omap

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Oskutin just released all his VMFs   Oskutin just released all his VMFs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 11:37 pm

Munroe wrote:

Sending them to happy fun land doesn't count

Unless you're american. In which case, you should tell everyone how much better your country is than theirs.
Back to top Go down
Krug

Krug

PostSubject: Re: Oskutin just released all his VMFs   Oskutin just released all his VMFs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 8:40 am

Kali wrote:
I tended to rip on oskutin's maps since for a long time he made nothing but repetitive forest village maps with ridiculous blue fog

as nice as his forest village maps are after he released the 10th "map set in forest with town and finnish name" map then it started to take the piss

his newer stuff is alright but probably is as laggy as his old stuff

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. This concept is apparently, and predictably, lost.

Also agree with the ripping on Oskutin because of unoptimization as a fad.
Back to top Go down
Kali

Kali

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Oskutin just released all his VMFs   Oskutin just released all his VMFs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 8:58 am

Munroe wrote:
Kali wrote:

if you look in detail at any country then you'll find that it's a huge piece of shit that is full of idiots and run by idiots

i'm not saying patriotism is a bad thing, but the level of in-your-face patriotism oskutin displays sometimes just pisses me off so god damn much, since for a long time most of the things he'd post on facepunch were WELL HERE IN FINLAND WE HAVE THIS AND THIS AND ITS BETTER THAN ANY OTHER COUNTRY

Ramona wrote:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. This concept is apparently, and predictably, lost.

Also agree with the ripping on Oskutin because of unoptimization as a fad.

using the same concept for maps over and over again is comparable to people making video games that are exactly the same and generic over and over again

it shows lack of creativity and originality if you keep on making the same shit but with a different name and layout eventually people get fucking bored of it.

and ripping on oskutin because of unoptimization is completely justified, it's a fact. his maps are badly optimized, and always have been, and he doesn't seem to be making an effort to do anything about it. look back at his really early maps and find they're shittily optimized. fair enough, everyone's maps are shittily optimized when they first start. but now that he's been mapping for so long and released so much stuff it just gets a bit fucking ridiculous how he hasn't made any kind of attempt to optimize his shit
Back to top Go down
Phry

Phry

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Oskutin just released all his VMFs   Oskutin just released all his VMFs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 10:11 am

So basically this thread isn't serving any more purpose, post count is steadily rising, kiwi has all the VMFs already and arugments are starting to form.

Gotta lock this gear up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oskutin just released all his VMFs   Oskutin just released all his VMFs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Oskutin just released all his VMFs
Page 1 of 1