Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My revelation

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rutabega
Rutabega

My revelation Empty
PostSubject: My revelation   My revelation Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 5:39 am

First off I don't expect all of you to know what in the hell I'm talking about but anyone who wishes is welcome to read all the same. To most this might just seem like a big, nonsensical rambling rant but I'd like to stress that there is meaning there and that it's something I want to get off of my chest.

So, recently I had a revelation about my old roleplaying style and how it's something I now intend to fix. Basically, I've always been the sort of person who thinks that there isn't anything out there that's well and truly impossible. You can name any number of ridiculous things but I firmly stand by the ideology that if we as humans gave it enough thought, enough effort and enough time we can overcome any "impossible" obstacle. That being said, when someone tells me that something is impossible I automatically go into the mindset to prove that person wrong. This viewpoint is something I also subconsciously carried over into the IC world of olden. Call it metagaming if you will but I personally believe every character we make has the tiniest bit of it's creator in it. However, while I think my personal viewpoint of progressing on and forever pushing the envelope is fine in the real world I've recently come to understand that such a viewpoint is by far not the best thing for Olden. I always knew that certain things within Olden were there to keep a tone, a feeling and to try and force mass IC change, be it a mine, the mixing of chemicals or the splitting of the soul has drastic consequences for the feel and tone and there's a reason that every character isn't trying to bring about the next miracle of technology or the next stage of society. I know I must of known this at the time but for whatever reason, call it ignorance, stubbornness, single mindedness or whatever else, I didn't see that and only kept to my viewpoint of "we must always progress, we must make the impossible possible". I can't say when I realized this, but I know I started thinking about it when I read Psyche's character creation thread.

Quote :
9. Roleplaying games are not Games. Roleplaying games are not stories or movies or books.

That was when it occurred to me that roleplay is also not life in that we don't need to constantly need to be advancing to new bound for things to be 'right'. Anyways, I'll stop myself before I start going on to ramble even more. Some might be wondering why I'm writing this and frankly, I'm not entirely certain. I suppose I figure that if you're going to realize that you were wrong about something you'd best admit to it.
Back to top Go down
thorogoodd

thorogoodd

Character sheet
Name:

My revelation Empty
PostSubject: Re: My revelation   My revelation Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 12:06 pm

I like this thread a lot, Ruta. I myself have never tried to push an envelope, but I see where you're coming from. Olden's world doesn't necessarily need constant change and advance to be fun. Change in smaller ways, rather than revolutionary ways, is what it needs. Not to say the timeskip is bad, it's probably a very good thing.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
DEAR GOD DON'T LOOK IN HIS EYES
Munroe

Character sheet
Name:

My revelation Empty
PostSubject: Re: My revelation   My revelation Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 7:44 pm

I like this thread as well. It probably doesn't surprise anyone, as I've always tried to keep Olden in medieval stasis. I've felt that settings like Lord of the Rings and The Elder Scrolls work because of the lack of progress. There's more honor, and skill involved in combat. It's not just a contest of who has the biggest, best guns, it's a true test of will, and very personal between the parties involved. And it also adds a greater sense of both danger, and wonder. You can't just shoot an orc in the face, you have to physically overpower it. And something like a Dwemer Centurion is enigmatic and awe-inspiring in its construction, not something that's meant to be taken apart and fully understood.

Anyways, I just wanted to speak my mind. Seems to be the theme of this thread. I'm not against the 200 year time-skip, for the record. I think it has the potential to be the best thing that's happened to Olden in a while.
Back to top Go down
Reager

Reager

My revelation Empty
PostSubject: Re: My revelation   My revelation Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 8:46 pm

I told you guys blimps would be better than these weapons of mass destruction.
Back to top Go down
Rutabega
Rutabega

My revelation Empty
PostSubject: Re: My revelation   My revelation Icon_minitimeThu Dec 29, 2011 9:18 pm

This thread doesn't have anything to do with the timeskip but rather certain events that happened before it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My revelation Empty
PostSubject: Re: My revelation   My revelation Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My revelation
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Olden Roleplay :: OOC Chat :: General Discussion-
Jump to: