Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A New Era

Go down 
2 posters

Did you understand what just happened?
Yes
A New Era I_vote1255%A New Era I_vote14
 55% [ 6 ]
No
A New Era I_vote1227%A New Era I_vote14
 27% [ 3 ]
My brain hurts
A New Era I_vote1218%A New Era I_vote14
 18% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

AuthorMessage
Kain

Kain

Character sheet
Name: Kain Redwell
Race: Human (?)

A New Era Empty
PostSubject: A New Era   A New Era Icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 2:18 am

Today, a baby would be born, one among thousands. Today, homes would be made, games would be played, towns burned and money earned, bandits fought and bandits caught, a world that carried on its way without a care. But on this world and in the heavens, a subtle movement was shaking the foundations of the old world.

"Fourty-Six, the nodes-" Though, it wasn't so subtle up close.

"Operational, Number One. The upper layer is ready to perform upon completion of the weave." A slim, black figure turned from a series of crystalline shapes atop a surface hung before it. It turned away after the message, resuming its duties of tending to the device.

"Good. What's the status of Teams Seventy-Five, Eighty-Five, Ninety-Five, One--O'-Five and One-Fifteen?" The room stirred and spun in response, shimmering black figures running to and fro. The room's pace could quicken a heartbeat at its very sight.

"Team Eighty-Five is nearly done, Number One-" "-Team Seventy-Five is experiencing difficulties due to a local sandstorm- extend estimated time to completion by twenty minutes." "Ninety-Five is finished and standing by." "Teams One-O'-Five and One-Fifteen are finished, Number One."

"Very well, continue as planned." Again, the turned away from the central figure, resuming their duties.

Number One stood atop the central pedestal of the Command chamber within Fortress Zero, the center of an operation five years in the making. As the first of his kind, he knew the most and was thus, trusted with the most. He knew his master was depending on him. He imagined that if he were human his face would be covered in sweat and worry. The minute rumbling of his being was all that hinted at this.

One shifted to his right and addressed an individual at another crystalline console. "Twenty-Three, what of the master?" His voice was strained, a sign of divided focus.

Twenty-Three, a golem of female shape and proportions, turned to One momentarily, "It... seems he's been ready for over an hour now, number One." She paused again in a turn toward the crystals, losing focus, then turning back. "Also, sir... Master Redwell would like to know 'What's with the hold-up,' sir."

This caught One's attention enough to warrant a sigh. "I see. Tell him we are doing our best, but continue to face technical problems." He turned away from her station. "And that if he still has enough time and energy for witty jokes, he has time to assist us as well." Twenty-three responded with a harmonic chuckle as she returned to work.

In the core of Fortress Zero, atop what appeared to be a throne, sat another obsidian golem, but this one appeared lifeless and static, like it had yet to be born. "What? Witty jokes? Please, I didn't even open up my Witionary. Two-Three, dear, just call him a fatty and let him feel like he's in charge. Yeah, tell me when it's all set. Mhm. Yes, Zero is all set for activation. Okay then, best of luck." Kain let go of the crystal console and turned to the still, armored figure in the center of the core chamber. Above them, a transparent ceiling allowed the light of an infernal star prison to shine in and illuminate the room. Were it not for its darkened tint, Kain would've been blinded, but that wasn't anything unusual when working up here.

Around him, another team of golems were waiting around idly. "They're really not done yet?" Another feminine variant of the golems was tapping her foot to relieve frustration. The air about here was less than friendly. "We bust our butts to finish on time for them and they just keep on going like it's their show- honestly, the small details can't be that important-"

"Eighteen... hush. Twenty-Three said we can begin in a few minutes, and they would work to finish in the smaller details as we progress." Redwell was moving toward the lifeless golem atop the throne. "The main problem is the anchoring, really, but that's easy to work with at any stage, so.. Let's get this over with while they're finishing up. Three-O-Four, handle communications for me."

"Right-o, sir." One of the thirty moving golems in the chamber went to attend Kain's console. Kain himself spun around and stopped behind the throne, setting his hands on the shoulders of the lifeless golem. As he closed his eyes, Three-O-Four, turned back with a hand upon the crystal. "Sir, we have the all-clear to begin."

"Finally..." A heavy sigh followed Kain's shift forward. "Everyone, you know what to do. Just follow my lead. Here we go..." Kain's blue eyes started to flicker and shift over to a golden hue, slowly growing in luminosity, until it seemed the golden light was filling the room. He shut his eyes, though some light escaped from under his eyelids and between the smallest cracks and openings.

Outside the room, crystalline nodes along strings of Star Fortresses began lighting up as the engine of change began to accelerate. A web of energetic beams began firing off and exchanging positions along paths between each node. Some curved, some bent, some spread wildly, and some even twisting around and through other beams.

"Number One, the Master has begun." One composed himself in response- his dulling senses were sharpened in an instant.

"Understood. Follow the plan." Orders began to fly around as the Command Chamber erupted in heated and chaotic exchanges of information and commands. One made his way to a window that overlooked Aeria, along with their neighboring fortresses. The show of lights and streaking color had him in awe. "Beautiful... Commence primary anchorage."

"Commencing primary anchorage!" Again, another wave of movement struck the room as golems began glaring at their consoles in the heat of sending mental orders. A light shaking began to creak in the fortress. The rumbling grew and spread across the entire mass of the complex, yet none of its occupants were alarmed. This was all part of grand plan.

And then, they came. Pillars of golden light descended from the heavens, tearing through air, toward Aeria, and as they did, similar columns stretched upward from Aeria and joined with them in the sky. The connection sent rippling waves of compression in both directions, and a dull rumble crossed the face of Aeria along with the Star Fortresses. Then, the wave of gold spread over, coating the air just above Aeria, swirling and sinking into everything and everyone, branching out as far as possible. Then it settled... and it faded. The rumbling slowed, and ceased, and the pillars of gold slowly dimmed into faint strings of light, and remained thus.

When Kain opened his eyes, the golem below him followed suit. Both had eyes swirling with gold and silver, and the chaotic fields of energy surrounded them. The new golem, far different than the rest, stood with a slow and powerful movement, moving with purpose. It turned to face Kain, and and glow behind its armored, spiky carapace, slowly began to settle in to one color. Slowly, the fields of energy around both diminished. Kain stared into the golem with golden eyes. The golem stared back with silver. "...From henceforth, your name will be Number Zero. You already know your purpose." His voice was more serious than it had been in years. This was really it. This was all he'd been working for, and now it was done, and there was no turning back. This was where things got hard.

Zero nodded once, acknowledging the man in a familiar manner. It turned to face the other golems and sat back down upon the throne. Zero held its hand in the air to the right of his throne, and the air below his hand sizzled momentarily as reality warped and bent, and out came a crystalline sword, a diamond in the shape of a perfect, pristine blade. Zero's hand rested on its hilt, and with this action, Zero became complete. The golem lord turned to face its new subjects, and spoke with a powerful, rumbling voice. "...Now begins the final era of the Waymakers," and Kain, the old master, had already left.

"Number One, sir." Twenty-Three called out to the large golem, trying to get his attention. Number One had been busy looking out at Aeria, pondering the consequences of their actions, and how well their hopes and dreams would hold against reality. "Number One!" The shout finally got his attention. He turned to face Twenty-Three. A moment's hesitation passed before she actually spoke. "Ah, Master Re-... Kain... requests that his old cloak and new belongings be prepared. He-.. Master Kain is returning home now."

One stared at her. "I.. understand. I can't believe it's finally happened... Well, I'll go see him off. Please do as our friend has asked." One quietly lumbered out of the Command Chamber. Already, cheers and shouts of success were replacing the old chaos, along with some nervous idle chatter. Twenty-Three watched him go. She returned to her station and passed on the orders. Then, she too, got up, and followed the sound of One's footsteps. Soon, she found she wasn't the only one. A slow and gradual flood of golems were emerging behind her. The growing group made it's way to Kain, all hoping to see him off one last time.

Redwell was packing up, putting on his old obsidian cloak as it covered other obsidian garments, glad to be reunited with them and no longer wearing them with guilt of their awesome power. He placed all other things of his into a mid-sized dufflebag, and stared out a nearby porthole. A forlorn smile crossed his lips. How fun, these six years had been, and though it was lonely, it was still too amazing to believe. He wondered if he would look back and ponder on how it ever happened in the first place, and if he'd ever get the chance to come back.

Kain's thoughts were interrupted the moment he stepped out of the small loading room and into the warping chamber. A large audience had gathered, and upon his entry, cheered his name. He grinned wide. "You assholes... One, was this your idea?"

"Master Redwell, I'm proud to say that I had nothing to do with this." The largest golem in the room stepped forward. "When I had turned around, to my surprise, everyone was right behind me. It was clear we were all here for the same reason, though. We want to wish you the best, Si-.. Kain."

Kain hugged the big idiot for the first time. Awkward it felt, of course, but that didn't matter. "You guys... you're all like family to me. Every single one of you. I want you all to flourish and do things right, okay?" He pulled away from One, but the others watching the group hung on every word of his. Kain was met with nods from everyone, One included. He let go entirely, and made his way to the portal. "Well, I guess.. this is goodbye."

"Yes... Goodbye, Master Redwell. It has been a pleasure, and an honor, to serve under you." One bowed. Twenty-Three bowed. They all bowed. It was one of the best feelings Kain had felt in the longest time. So, of course, it warranted a witty one-liner.

"Don't get sweet with me, now, One, you've all still got work to do. Now stop standing around and get to it." With a smirk, and a wave, Kain stepped backwards into the portal, disappearing into its depths. The room fell into silence. Then, a snerk. A quiet chuckle. They slowly erupted into laughter. God or mortal, Kain Redwell was never going to change. With that, the group slowly dispersed, returning to their respective stations and duties.

"So, One, what do you think?" Twenty-Three was beside him, crossing her arms and leaning to one side. "You think we're going to be alright?"

"Ugh.. I really don't know, Twenty-Three. All I know is he's put his faith in us and Zero." One stroked what ought to have been his chin. "All I can really say is I don't want to disappoint him. Not after all of this."

"Well.. we should probably get back to work, if that's your intention." Her tone became rather smug as she walked away. "You know. If that realy is your intention..."

"Hey- Don't you get smart with me Two-Three, I still outrank you. Hey!" She just kept walking. "Twenty-Three! Hey, wait- Stop it, you know I have trouble getting through doors! Twenty-Three! Hey!"

Well.

Some things never change.

Last edited by Kain on Mon May 03, 2010 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rutabega
Rutabega

A New Era Empty
PostSubject: Re: A New Era   A New Era Icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 2:52 am

Beam me up, Scotty.
A New Era Star_trek_transporter
Back to top Go down
Kain