Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Sprint - Speed Boost

Go down 
+3
Fuzzy Wolfy
Phry
Scalene
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Scalene

Scalene

Character sheet
Name: Talia Vortega
Race: Human

Sprint - Speed Boost Empty
PostSubject: Sprint - Speed Boost   Sprint - Speed Boost Icon_minitimeSun May 23, 2010 9:12 pm

"You've done well, child," smiled the Goddess, looking down at him affectionately from high. "Maybe you should have a gift."

I'm applying for a significant speed boost to Sprint - both physical, and magical, something to bring him beyond human capabilities. He's spent a lot of time doing pro-Akadi things - doing rituals, running, worshiping the air, encouraging others to join her church, delivering messages and being generally Chaotic Neutral. Because of this, and the work he's done, I figure Akadi might throw a blessing his way, especially considering he's one of the few who worship her feverishly. For reference, Sprint can run at twenty-three miles an hour, at top speed, though he'll generally move at a pace of eleven to fifteen miles per hour.

The speed boost will be two-fold. First, he's been running a lot and training, working on his fitness, so it makes sense that he'd be faster than before, naturally - a two mile per hour increase in his natural speed, and a significant increase in energy and stamina, as he begins to tap into some of the latent abilities being partially elf gives him. Reason for this is Sprint actually resents the fact he's half-elf, and prefers to think of himself as fully human. Once someone points out to him that his ability to run faster is due to the fact he's half-elf, I figure it'll create some fun roleplay.

Second is purely magical, a blessing, and can thus be stopped through magic. It's a significant speed boost, making him reach speeds beyond human capacity - he can hurtle at nearly fifty miles an hour by pushing himself, and he can keep it up for quite a long time - thirty minutes. Even when he's running a long distance, he moves at the speed faster than most people can run - twenty-five miles an hour, as fast as a horse can gallop. Naturally, it's a blessing, not an innate ability, and Akadi can revoke it as she wishes.

The magical element of the speed boost would be given by Akadi, a few days after he notices his slight physical improvements. It'll either be sudden, flash-of-light kind of stuff, or a personal visit by the Goddess - either would be fun to roleplay. One way, Sprint assumes he's just cast a magical spell for himself, the other way, he becomes even more devoted in his worship of her. I don't mind which.

It also makes sense. Sprint's fast, he's close to the pinnacle of speed, but magical characters are even faster, in addition to a tonne of other abilities. Since Sprint devotes his life to being faster and faster, it makes sense that he should start being faster and faster. Plus, he really, really wants to beat Kain in a footrace.
Back to top Go down
Phry

Phry

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Sprint - Speed Boost   Sprint - Speed Boost Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 4:48 pm

There is a pretty high potential for this to be abused, i.e. randomly minge 100mph running, running and stealing without anyone ICly being able to react, some sort of The Flash type antics.

Idk, Scalene doesn't seem like the type to abuse, but this could produce very one-sided RP just by nature.
Back to top Go down
Scalene

Scalene

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Sprint - Speed Boost   Sprint - Speed Boost Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 6:08 pm

Phry wrote:
There is a pretty high potential for this to be abused, i.e. randomly minge 100mph running, running and stealing without anyone ICly being able to react, some sort of The Flash type antics.

Idk, Scalene doesn't seem like the type to abuse, but this could produce very one-sided RP just by nature.

Ah, yes, I forgot to explain that properly.

This is an increase in speed, without an appropriate increase in agility. While Sprint's going to be fast, he's going to struggle to keep himself under control. And snatching something from someone would be done at ordinary speed - but after he's got it, running away, he could go pretty damn fast.
Back to top Go down
Fuzzy Wolfy

Fuzzy Wolfy

PostSubject: Re: Sprint - Speed Boost   Sprint - Speed Boost Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 7:14 pm

So basically, after he's reached a certain speed, there's going to be a difficulty in turning, changing directions or overall avoiding obstacles, stairs, etc. Unless his reaction time is also increased, this is basically running head first into a brick wall.
Back to top Go down
Scalene

Scalene

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Sprint - Speed Boost   Sprint - Speed Boost Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 8:32 pm

No, no - again, it's solely running that's Sprint's becoming better at.

In other words, if someone's chasing him, he can easily crank up the speed and lose them in the city, even if he had to jump occasionally, or make some sharp corners.

But if he's in a bar fight, he can't dodge punches like a boss. He can't bolt past and snatch something, or weave through a bunch of guards. It's movement and speed that have been increased, not being agile.

So, if he has room to move - for example, the twisty streets of Surna - you can guarantee you'll lose him. If he's in the tavern, however, he won't be able to go as fast.
Back to top Go down
Zaku350

Zaku350

Character sheet
Name: Zaku Daikun
Race: ---

PostSubject: Re: Sprint - Speed Boost   Sprint - Speed Boost Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 8:35 pm

I think this is just fine, to be honest.

There's room for abuse, yes, but something Olden needs to look more into, is trust. Should Scalene abuse it, take it away- until then, I think he's proven himself a capable role-player, and can definitely use his abilities with responsibility, and I think the last thing we need to worry about is him abusing a speed boost of sorts. Razz
Back to top Go down
Psycheandromida
He Who Wears Sunglasses at Night
Psycheandromida

PostSubject: Re: Sprint - Speed Boost   Sprint - Speed Boost Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 8:54 pm

Fuzzy Wolfy wrote:
So basically, after he's reached a certain speed, there's going to be a difficulty in turning, changing directions or overall avoiding obstacles, stairs, etc. Unless his reaction time is also increased, this is basically running head first into a brick wall.

This thought brings to mind Star Wars Jedi Knight; Dark Forces 2. Later in the game where your character is basically a Jedi Master, he can use Force Speed to run at Superman speed. When you ran into a wall at that speed, there'd be a sickening crunch and you basically lose all your health. Impressive feature, as the game is about 10 years old.

That being said, I can apply this if it has nothing to do with reaction time. This means Sprint will have to think about where he's running. A sharp corner probably would be possible if Sprint sees it coming.
Back to top Go down
Scalene

Scalene

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Sprint - Speed Boost   Sprint - Speed Boost Icon_minitimeMon May 24, 2010 9:14 pm

Psycheandromida wrote:
Fuzzy Wolfy wrote:

This thought brings to mind Star Wars Jedi Knight; Dark Forces 2. Later in the game where your character is basically a Jedi Master, he can use Force Speed to run at Superman speed. When you ran into a wall at that speed, there'd be a sickening crunch and you basically lose all your health. Impressive feature, as the game is about 10 years old.

That being said, I can apply this if it has nothing to do with reaction time. This means Sprint will have to think about where he's running. A sharp corner probably would be possible if Sprint sees it coming.

Sprint rarely thinks about where he's going. I like it.
Back to top Go down
Markka
Markka

Character sheet
Name: Mirage Silverspine

PostSubject: Re: Sprint - Speed Boost   Sprint - Speed Boost Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 2:36 am

I wonder when Sprint is going to renamed "Patch".

:3
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet
Name: Kain Redwell
Race: Human (?)

PostSubject: Re: Sprint - Speed Boost   Sprint - Speed Boost Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 4:31 am

Scalene wrote:
Plus, he really, really wants to beat Kain in a footrace.

Tch. Can't deny a good challenge.

I Accept.
Back to top Go down
Phry

Phry

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Sprint - Speed Boost   Sprint - Speed Boost Icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 11:25 am

Eh, has my approval i s'pose.
Back to top Go down
Scalene

Scalene

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Sprint - Speed Boost   Sprint - Speed Boost Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 12:35 am

Bump to avoid losing it.
Back to top Go down
Psycheandromida
He Who Wears Sunglasses at Night
Psycheandromida

PostSubject: Re: Sprint - Speed Boost   Sprint - Speed Boost Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 12:37 am

Then it looks like this is approved.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sprint - Speed Boost   Sprint - Speed Boost Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sprint - Speed Boost
Page 1 of 1