Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence

Go down 
+8
Kain
Omap
thorogoodd
Krug
Phry
Graley
Mack
Gambit
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 3:58 pm

Graley wrote:
No, this is a shadow impaling ability.

Graley wrote:
Yes, but being impaled by shadows is different. It'd be like having an ability to freeze the blood in someone's body. Sure, you could probably deflect the magic and all but you wouldn't expect a blood-freezing ability.

Then what are you trying to argue, this has nothing in common with a "blood freezing ability"
Back to top Go down
https://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm161/v4v_bucket2/12325130553
Graley

Character sheet
Name:
Race: Human

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 4:01 pm

Gambit wrote:
Graley wrote:

Graley wrote:
Yes, but being impaled by shadows is different. It'd be like having an ability to freeze the blood in someone's body. Sure, you could probably deflect the magic and all but you wouldn't expect a blood-freezing ability.

Then what are you trying to argue, this has nothing in common with a "blood freezing ability"

That it's hard to parry and counter since most inhabitants in Aeria wouldn't know anything about it or how to defend against it. It can easily be used to dispatch of anyone and seems overpowered.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 4:25 pm

Graley wrote:
Gambit wrote:
Graley wrote:

Graley wrote:

That it's hard to parry and counter since most inhabitants in Aeria wouldn't know anything about it or how to defend against it. It can easily be used to dispatch of anyone and seems overpowered.

Yes, most people Aeria don't get into fights with people randomly, and are commoners. You can say this about anything if you're fighting the right person. I don't see what is overpowered, for a lot of things can be "overpowered" in a sense. Be specific, and I can see what I can do.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 30, 2010 11:08 pm

-Current updates
Listed key points, and a discussion with Psyche in the spoiler
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet
Name: Kain Redwell
Race: Human (?)

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 1:35 am

Alright, after some reading and a bit of research, here's what I've got to say:

Previous to this, Melian's alignment wasn't evil, thus, he wouldn't have past experience with Shadow magic, correct? Following that logic, his overall skill level should actually be low for several reasons: One, he's not evil, so even if he can connect with the Shadow Weave, it's not intuitive to him, he has no instinctual control over it. Two, he has no experience with the Shadow Weave either, so any magical skill he has built up so far is really dumbed down (Shadow magic is vastly different from all the other spell categories). And three, this one being a guess on my part, but if Melian is a wizard, then I would be right in assuming most of his training and ability has gone into weaving magic, not the direct manipulation of magical energy, correct? So, he might be a little clumsy, there, too, like his spear may not always be a spear, it may not always go the direction he wants it to go, or do it in an efficient manner- sometimes it might not even manage to remain manifested. To give Melian credit, his vast magical knowledge and experience will help him, I'm sure, but he's going to need 3 (or maybe just 2?) entirely new skill sets just to use this ability.

Also, I'd hate to play devil's advocate right now, but have Melian's previous powers been applied for? This is general question out to everyone, not Gambit specifically. If not, that's bad, and if yes, I'd like to see the app for further reference, if it exists.

Also, hold the phone, just re-read this in Melian's app:

In Melian's profile, Gambit wrote:
Being old, limited, and not respected, along with some plans being ruined. Melian did something to change that. Combining certain alchemical potions, teleportation magics, and a tad bit of necromancy, he was able reverse his age at the cost to a thing dear to him. Knowledge. With this "new age" he is able to relive his life and achieve even more.

Is this some kind of 'forgets a lot of magic' nerf?
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 2:06 am

Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 11:11 am

Okay, now please address everything else I mentioned.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 5:57 pm

Quote :
Alright, after some reading and a bit of research, here's what I've got to say:

Previous to this, Melian's alignment wasn't evil, thus, he wouldn't have past experience with Shadow magic, correct? Following that logic, his overall skill level should actually be low for several reasons: One, he's not evil, so even if he can connect with the Shadow Weave, it's not intuitive to him, he has no instinctual control over it. Two, he has no experience with the Shadow Weave either, so any magical skill he has built up so far is really dumbed down (Shadow magic is vastly different from all the other spell categories). And three, this one being a guess on my part, but if Melian is a wizard, then I would be right in assuming most of his training and ability has gone into weaving magic, not the direct manipulation of magical energy, correct? So, he might be a little clumsy, there, too, like his spear may not always be a spear, it may not always go the direction he wants it to go, or do it in an efficient manner- sometimes it might not even manage to remain manifested. To give Melian credit, his vast magical knowledge and experience will help him, I'm sure, but he's going to need 3 (or maybe just 2?) entirely new skill sets just to use this ability.

Also, I'd hate to play devil's advocate right now, but have Melian's previous powers been applied for? This is general question out to everyone, not Gambit specifically. If not, that's bad, and if yes, I'd like to see the app for further reference, if it exists.

Also, hold the phone, just re-read this in Melian's app:

In Melian's profile, Gambit wrote:
Being old, limited, and not respected, along with some plans being ruined. Melian did something to change that. Combining certain alchemical potions, teleportation magics, and a tad bit of necromancy, he was able reverse his age at the cost to a thing dear to him. Knowledge. With this "new age" he is able to relive his life and achieve even more.

Is this some kind of 'forgets a lot of magic' nerf?

Yes, it may not be instinctive and hard to control but that's where the eyes come into play. As long as he can see, he can guide it as best he can. It is my fault for not adding a skill bar but he wouldn't be a pro overnight. So really, practice makes perfect. Also Munroe would be helpful here to back up the allowance of power promised by Shar.

It was a good nerf also, not like he was overpowered or anything to begin with.
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 6:00 pm

Okay, thanks for clearing that up.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 31, 2010 8:10 pm

Bar now added as 2/10 ability points at start. each point is an addition of # of controllable spears/snakes as well as a percentage of motor control and being able to maintain it.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 7:14 pm

@&@&@&Bump&@&@&@
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 10:10 pm

Waiting for the community's reaction.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 8:44 pm

bump
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 9:31 pm

Read over it. I know Gambit is responsible and looked at the skill rating aswell.
I'm tossing my approval in.
Back to top Go down
themodtester

themodtester

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 1:32 am

I don't see why not. *Tosses approva.l*
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 6:51 pm

bump
Back to top Go down
Pat
Loremaster
Pat

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 11:48 am

Hum. I like the fact that he starts at a low level of skill and the fact that his power can vary because of the time of day. It also helps that any damage to the extensions are felt by Melian. With these balancers, I feel I can toss Gambit an Accept.

Now, unless anyone else has anything to say...
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 10:00 pm

I see people on, and no comments. So I assume these three accepts get me approved.
Back to top Go down
PuPeT-KaI

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 10:39 pm

Just cause people are on doesn't mean they want to take the time to read your app, or comment on it.

I'd approve but I don't trust Gambit.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 11:01 pm

PuPeT-KaI wrote:
I'd approve but I don't trust Gambit.

Thanks I always check for you size zero stuff
Back to top Go down
Markka
Markka

Character sheet
Name: Mirage Silverspine

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 11:25 pm

I'd tell my opinion of this if I figured out what it is in the first place. I just have trouble with wrapping my head around the whole skill.

Woop, first on fourth page.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 2:16 pm

Markka wrote:
I'd tell my opinion of this if I figured out what it is in the first place. I just have trouble with wrapping my head around the whole skill.

Woop, first on fourth page.

Be specific please.
Back to top Go down
Markka
Markka

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 10:40 pm

Can he just use any shadow he knows about? Like, could he just stab you with your own shadow or the Emperor with the shadow of his crown or something? Or does he need to "touch" the shadow to be able to manipulate it?
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 10:53 pm

Markka wrote:
Can he just use any shadow he knows about? Like, could he just stab you with your own shadow or the Emperor with the shadow of his crown or something? Or does he need to "touch" the shadow to be able to manipulate it?

The first line of Using the power as a weapon - wrote:
First the link between shadow and the Shadow Weave would always be established to the obstruction caused by his body to make the founding ground shadow. His shadow can connect to others around him and become as if part of the original, expanding reach and power.
Back to top Go down
Markka
Markka

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 2:30 pm

Okay, so he or his shadow-extension must be in touch in whatever shadow he'd want to manipulate, or else it's just a normal shadow. Right?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next