Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel

Go down 
+6
Gambit
Hyperiant
B3SERK
Phear
Kain
Rutabega
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Rutabega
Rutabega

Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel Empty
PostSubject: Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel   Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 5:55 pm

Well, this is a bit odd, since, the pet in question is, infact, a mantis shrimp, a creatures that would require an aquarium to survive. Why I'm making this app? Well, as per what I've read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mantis_shrimp the mantis shrimp can, when fully grown (30cm) can muster enough force to strike with 1500 newtons of power and at the acceleration of a .22 gunshot. This of could easily break smaller bones in the hand feet etc.

Advantages: It's an awesome looking pet with one hell of a kick. Not to mention best eyesight of any known animal in terms of colours.

Disadvantages: It can't move around effeciantly on dry land, needs aquarium to survive.

How was it aquired: Exotic trader for a hefty price. (750 gold)

Picture referance for what they can look like, for those of you who're too lazy to read the article.
Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel Mantis6311

Pic of actual mantis shrimp should he end up owning it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:OdontodactylusScyllarus2.jpg
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet
Name: Kain Redwell
Race: Human (?)

PostSubject: Re: Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel   Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 6:39 pm

It's a really odd thing to apply for, but I don't really see how one can abuse a pet that can barely move around and is confined to an aquarium. I don't have any problems with it. Just two questions: what's it eat, and where is he gonna keep it, his office?

Last edited by Kain on Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rutabega
Rutabega

PostSubject: Re: Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel   Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 6:41 pm

It eats clams, fish...Pretty much anything, just like most bottom feeders. And, I've already got an adv dup that's set up in the corner of his office, plenty of room.
Back to top Go down
Phear
Angry Veteran
Phear

Character sheet
Name:
Race: Human

PostSubject: Re: Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel   Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 6:49 pm

[rant]

I FUCKING HATE THIS THING. BURN IT IN FUCKING HELL.

FUCKING ACCEPT THIS SHIT OR SOMETHING, I DONT CARE, ITS HIDEOUS, AND ITS FUCKING IN MY HEAD.

FFFFUUUUUCKKKKKKKK ME IF I HAVE TO SEE IT AGAIN!

[/rant]
Back to top Go down
B3SERK

B3SERK

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel   Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 6:52 pm

Me rikey, acceptionz
Back to top Go down
Hyperiant

Hyperiant

PostSubject: Re: Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel   Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 8:12 pm

As long as you realize the .22 gunshot property only works in water. And at short distance.

And they probably can't be trained.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel   Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 10:25 pm

It has too small of a brain. It's like trying to train a tarantula to be a pet.
Back to top Go down
https://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm161/v4v_bucket2/12325130553
Psycheandromida
He Who Wears Sunglasses at Night
Psycheandromida

PostSubject: Re: Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel   Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 10:30 pm

Gambit wrote:
It has too small of a brain. It's like trying to train a tarantula to be a pet.

For the sake of argument, people have been able to train goldfish to run through mazes, it's surprising what things you can train by changing their daily habits.

Of course training a lobster to pinch people on command is different than teaching fish to swim through rings, so I don't see this pet being able to act as an attack dog.
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel   Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 10:30 pm

Actually, Hyper and Gambutt, it seems they're quite intelligent for shellfish, though that doesn't make it any easier to communicate with them. Their memory is very good, and they can recognize different neighbors of different types. I wouldn't put it past one to recognize and get used to its owner.

As for the claw, I took a look at the wiki. The speed and 1500 newtons of force is only half the attack, and a second one is made from cavitation of water bubbles. Outside of water, the attack would probably be stronger since air resistance is not as bad as water resistance, but there'd be no cavitation, and in total, less force.

Also, there's actually nothing stopping cavitation from occurring in our lore, since it's a purely physical phenomena. All that aside, though, honestly, it's a fucking shellfish. Chances are it can't even crawl out of its aquarium without help. If it has uses beyond being a neat pet, the uses are gonna be pretty limited.

Accept.
Back to top Go down
LawnJesus

LawnJesus

PostSubject: Re: Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel   Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 10:39 pm

Fun fact: Also called "pistol shrimp". Very Happy

Oh yeah, Accept.
Back to top Go down
Rutabega
Rutabega

PostSubject: Re: Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel   Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 10:51 pm

LawnJesus wrote:
Fun fact: Also called "pistol shrimp". Very Happy

Oh yeah, Accept.

Actually the pistol shirmp is an entirely different species that uses the imploding bubbles to shoot at targets 4cm away. The mantis shrimp relies on physical contact for the most part, though it can still produce the shockwave effect due to the speed of it's strike. Plus mantis shrimp don't have claws but clubs and spears, but not pincers, while the pistol shrimp does.
Back to top Go down
LawnJesus

LawnJesus

PostSubject: Re: Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel   Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 11:17 pm

Ahhhh, I gotcha.
Back to top Go down
Phry

Phry

Character sheet
Name:
Race: Human

PostSubject: Re: Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel   Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 6:57 am

I want a Thorn Razel :>

Humorous thread title, eh?

Quote :
[rant]

I FUCKING HATE THIS THING. BURN IT IN FUCKING HELL.

FUCKING ACCEPT THIS SHIT OR SOMETHING, I DONT CARE, ITS HIDEOUS, AND ITS FUCKING IN MY HEAD.

FFFFUUUUUCKKKKKKKK ME IF I HAVE TO SEE IT AGAIN!

[/rant]

It's not even that ugly?

I accept under the terms it's used as an RP device. Thorn hasn't even suggested it's going to have any other uses than being in his aquarium and glub glubbing around. If he does intend to use it in other ways, i'd like to know.
Back to top Go down
Mack
THE GLORY
Mack

PostSubject: Re: Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel   Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 9:06 am

1500 newton? jesus fucking christ, that's like 105 bars.

that's roughly 100 times the pressure at sea level.

oh well. i don't see any problems with this.
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel   Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 5:58 pm

As a form of torture, thorn will hunt down marcus, chain him up, and place marcus' groin within the aquarium.

OH, WELL, SEEMS LIKE EVERYONE ACCEPTS, TIME TO MOVE THIS TO THE ACCEPTED SECTION.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel   Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Exotic Pet -Thorn Razel
Page 1 of 1