Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif

Go down 
+5
Psycheandromida
Cakebread
Pat
Kain
Hatsune Miku
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Hatsune Miku

Hatsune Miku

Character sheet
Name:
Race: Human

Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif Empty
PostSubject: Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif   Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 11:08 pm

Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif Classes-Monk
Name

Milam Aseif

Race

Human
Male

Birthplace

The Mysterious East (Will be changed if proper lore is figured out)

Apearance/Phyiscal Features

Height

5'9" ft

Weight

198 lbs

Facial Hair Color

Dark Brown

Eye Color

Tinted Green

Skin Color

Lightly Taned

Build

Moderately Muscular

Biography

Spoiler:
Skills and Abillities
Path of Harmonious Balance Passive

Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif Feat_m12
The Path of Harmonious Balance is focused on social skills aswell as charisma towards any one person, human or not, the path also enables the use of meditation as practice of martial arts, overall effecting the philosphy and personality of Milam
Quivering Palm Offensive

Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif Feat_q10
This blow when delt by somone on The Path of Harmonious Balance sends out a paralyzing blow by sending waves of virbrations and pulses through the opponets body

Momment of Clarity Supportive

Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif Feat_f10
When activated allies and the caster are removed from all magical, negative effects

Discipline Passive

Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif Feat_d10
Milam gains enlightment through discipline, improving his abillity in life, also beaing very hard to distract in any situation
Silver Tounge Passive

Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif Benefi10
Milam is able to convince most beaings to stand down or bargin with a suggested price, Improves Speech and Charisma Greatly
Flurry Of Blows Offensive

Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif Feat_m14
Caster is able to deal a mutitude of unlethal blows to make attack yield for a short ammount of time

Enlightment Supportive

Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif Feat_m15
Caster Spreads the teachings gained from the Mysterious east to allies, Enhances Evasion,Strength,Charisma,Dextarity improving by one and increasing over time each time this abillity is casted

Rallying Words Supportive

Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif Feat_c10
Rallies allies through heroic and insperational speech, All allies healed the diffrance taken prior to abillity and increased will
Alignment

Neutral Good

Milam will easily go out of his way to help somone in need by giving them advice straight from his philosphy and look on the world, but will also refuse to help anyone if it compromises his enlightment and Discipline as a monk

Deity

Aten

OOC: Clarification

This part is for two reasons, One: I read up on another character, Trian Lo'tran and saw how he was rejected for his age and years of experince, Two: explinations will definetly be in order with the confusion

First off, Milam hardly fights at all, his personality and philosphy require a opponet to attack him before he even considers combat. For instance, the segment in his biography where it tells how he knocks out the monks on the path of domination so easily is because while the path gives strength it also gives recklessness and foolishness which lead to mistakes. Also his Silver tounge, he is able to talk himself out of most situations, this abillity is balanced out by not familer with western culture as of yet. Another reason why he isnt some sort of martial arts god is that due to hand to hand combat he is vulnerable to ranged attacks, his Cloth tunic cant exactly stop arrows. And Lastly a irelevent statment, the Kossuth arifact, they may not have any I know, but notice the may or may not exist part, people from the Mysterious East dont even know if they may exist or not, with that I leave the community to make there judgment

Last edited by Hatsune Miku on Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet
Name: Kain Redwell
Race: Human (?)

PostSubject: Re: Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif   Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 11:41 pm

I think Kossuth's name has been changed to something else.
Back to top Go down
Pat
Loremaster
Pat

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif   Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif Icon_minitimeSat Jan 14, 2012 11:52 pm

Kain wrote:
I think Kossuth's name has been changed to something else.

It has.

I thought he was going to be a follower of Illmatyr?

Also, The Mysterious East thing is canon, though perhaps not as he put it.
Back to top Go down
Cakebread

Cakebread

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif   Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 1:17 am

Well this guy is 56years old, on a quest to find something that may not exist and is a philospher.

Might be interesting to see him in tavern rp.
Back to top Go down
Psycheandromida
He Who Wears Sunglasses at Night
Psycheandromida

PostSubject: Re: Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif   Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 1:22 am

First, to start, monks don't in the setting. You seem to know this, since you invented an entire continent full of monks in an attempt to make them fit.

For sake of not letting this page rot in the approval section with no input, I'll be the first to say that this new "Mysterious East" lore is very contrived. While it is possible there is some society in the eastern regions of The Wastes, this lore here is, to put it bluntly, several Asian kung fu monk cliches put together to cement Milam as a badass.

I won't criticize the grammar or spelling in the biography, but I think it was poorly written in general, because instead of introducing a new region and describing it, you just describe a few monk sect, how Milam is a bruiser but doesn't make a big deal about it, and how he can find things he wants with a sixth sense.

The "monk abilities" in general are a bad idea. The idea that meditating and having a philosophy allows people to "remove all negative effects" and "heal allies for half their damage" does not work here, as much as it does not work anywhere.

The worst case of this is "Caster Spreads the teachings gained from the Mysterious east to allies, Enhances Evasion,Strength,Charisma,Dextarity, for a limmited ammount of time", meaning people become stronger, more agile and more charismatic because they learn about philosophy in "The Mysterious East"? It's thinly-veiled elitism.

I'm sorry, but this gets my denial. Nothing about this character works in Aeria.

Last edited by Psycheandromida on Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Krug

Krug

PostSubject: Re: Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif   Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 1:27 am

Monks are awesome :V. Tbh, it's unusual but I don't see why not.

Quote :
"Caster Spreads the teachings gained from the Mysterious east to allies, Enhances Evasion,Strength,Charisma,Dextarity, for a limmited ammount of time", meaning people become stronger, more agile and more charismatic because they learn about philosophy in "The Mysterious East"?

However, I'll agree with Psyche there. I'm not sure how teaching on the spot would grant some kind of immediate boon.
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif   Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 6:05 am

I actually developed the first real monks of Aeria. You know what they were called? Demon Hunters. You know how/why they were badass and had heightened abilities? Because they were fucking crazy and went through mental and physical tests of discipline to harden their bodies, minds and souls from their early youth. And in the end, they still adopted magic, but divinely ordained magic. Oh yeah, they worshipped Kossuth(now called Asen) as well. How did they do that? By praying at dawn, and most importantly, constantly hunting demons, and purifying them through fire.

It's not that monks can't exist, it's just that a monk in Aeria is not a loltibetan or even a lolbuddhist. We have lore and gods unique to the setting, and if you follow them, you will get: A, character that makes sense, and B, an original and interesting character.

One last thing: Demon Hunters exist for a real purpose. They have a history. Even though they're just a piece of background lore now, I believe their existence won't ever be challenged because they fulfill a needed role in an in-character setting. Can you claim the same of your monks?

By the way, Taoism trains people to be in harmony with the world by putting their body and mind in harmony. Those monks are badass because they try to reach enlightenment through discipline. They do not gain discipline through enlightenment, much less, philosophy. The monks that focus mostly on philosophy cannot really fight at all. Keep that in mind, please.

I'll post more monk related Lore later that might help you out. There actually is a small way for independent monks to grow attuned to supernatural abilities, but it's not at all how you think it is.
Back to top Go down
Hatsune Miku

Hatsune Miku

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif   Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 8:08 am

You seem you have confused that one part, Healing half of the damage the player is given, Poorly written but I ment it would heal the diffrance, Example:

Player A takes 80 dmg
Player B Cast Rallying Words
Player A healed 40 HP

Not a Overpowered skill, it just heals the diffrance, but Im going to assume you will still deny this character

And Kain, yes that would help, ALOT
Back to top Go down
Hatsune Miku

Hatsune Miku

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif   Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 8:17 am

That And, it doesnt even make him out to be that much of a badass really, I really dont want to explain all of this a second time but I will anyway

The principle of the character is Non-Violence and he will hardly ever get into a fight
Silvertounge abillity is supposed to assist in that to convince anyone with basic thinking skills (Unlike most monsters) to turn away and go about there buisness, but he still one fight unless he is attacked first

Him coming to Aeria cancles out this abillity by him beaing unfamiler with the culture and such

and once again, the segement where he defeats the monks who had followed The Path of Inveitable Domination, that path usually would make you reckless and foolish, which leads to mistakes, and in conclussion would lead to weakness in combat.

He never wanted a sixth sense, he just gained it for trying to find things for ten years, it was never his intention

I have nothing to say about the skills however, Im going to re-write them later

Back to top Go down
thorogoodd

thorogoodd

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif   Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 9:19 am

Hatsune Miku wrote:
Silvertounge abillity

silvertongue* and, unless this is magical illusion magic, that's more dependent on your RP skill and your ability to convince people yourself. You can't just go "Go away." ".// oh yeah silvertongue so now you go away"
Back to top Go down
Hatsune Miku

Hatsune Miku

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif   Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 9:23 am

If it was some Jedi mind trick then I would have put a diffrent name for it, I have pretty good experince with rp, aswell as debate and I think I can be persussasive enough
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif   Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 1:01 pm

Well, before we even do anything, I think you should carefully examine the pantheon again and find a god whose dogma fits your character better. After that, we can decide what kind of monk he would be, along with his skills and abilities.

Btw, Aten is not really a good choice for him at all. Like I explained earlier, Aten would be more suitable for my demon hunters, who were also basically traveling monks.
Back to top Go down
Hatsune Miku

Hatsune Miku

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif   Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 1:38 pm

Ok then, but im starting to feel as this character may be rejected either way, but Ill read over all of them
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif   Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 3:13 pm

Alright, now for some monk and monk-related lore.

Every living being in Aeria, anything with a soul, has what one could call a 'piece of creation.' It's like a little valve that was opened a very small degree, so it slowly trickles out juuust enough energy to sustain a soul's existence. This energy comes from 'creation,' a place where energy is infinite and formless. This is the same place that created the universe and is responsible for the existence of Aeria, Ao, the Crystal Sphere, and everything beyond. It's the point of origin. That energy then manifests within and around the soul, and is largely in part responsible for a soul's ability to maintain a sacred field, and much of its other functions. That little peephole to creation is what gives one life, and it's also the reason deities value worshipers so much.

No deity, except for Ao, would have innate control over the magnitude of the hole. There is no easy magical way of widening this hole. However, by extensive use of the soul's functions, in the same way one trains a muscle to accommodate a larger work load, the gateway to creation will open just a tad more. This is why some people who make extensive use of the Weave will eventually find themselves capable of casting more spells with less effort without employing more efficient methods: Since a portion of the spell must come from their own energy reserve, and they simply generate more, they can handle more spellcasting. But it's not just mages and spell casters who can accomplish this. Those of exceptionally strong willpower often force their gateways of creation to open just a bit wider.

Now, this is where "Monks" come in. With enough time, discipline and persistence, they can gain exceptional and supernatural strength from devotion to their inner selves, and literally drawing out 'the power within.' Of course, this comes at a cost: Someone who devotes their life to this is not going to have time for much else. No traditional magic use, far less, the understanding of how to cast a spell, and often, but not always, not much skill in the way of weapons.

This little gateway can be mimicked, however. Rather than devoting to the inner self to find truth, harmony, and such through an introspective approach, some can devote to a deity and attempt to find these same things through an extrospective approach. Deities can then bless those devote ones with a similar gateway, but it leads to their home plane, not to creation. Mastering a deity-based path is much easier than any other, but it is very different, and of course, easily subject to change should a monk ever fail in following their deity's dogma to the letter.

So, there are a couple things to note about each path.

The introspective path. Anyone who takes up this path is going to find out quickly that the impure simply don't get very far for 2 reasons: The energy they receive is a creative force designed to sustain their soul. It is positive, and for the most part, supports general positive use. It can be converted into another form, but of course, this is less efficient than if a practiced caster of another school would be using the magic normally. Secondly, their are higher powers who monitor those who tread into the divine. People who misuse their abilities will also have angry higher powers to deal with. Let it be known that there is no organized movement or temple for these people. They're often hermits and loners, and if they pass on their teaches, it's to one or two pupils, maybe three. This path is the most rewarding, but it's incredibly difficult to accomplish and maintain.

The extrospective path. One can follow and become a monk of any kind of diety, though they may not get the name 'Monk' and they may not all go through the same process. A monk of Aten will not follow the same dogma, and thus, the same training of a monk of Akash. It's even possible to become a monk of Shar, anything goes. All you're really doing is totally devoting yourself to a deity to receive their blessings.

From what I can tell, your concept of a monk has mixed up these two paths... that's just not how it goes. As soon as you start depending on a deity, you depend less on your own soul's creative energy. It's possible to worship a deity as a monk who follows introspection, sure, but that's not the same as devoting. Very few, if any, people have been able to mix the two.

With that said, having a wise, aged monk with both of these traits is far more OP than you realize. In DnD terms, if you were aiming for a level 1 monk, you missed by a lot and jumped all the way to a level 30 epic monk.

Last edited by Kain on Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Psycheandromida
He Who Wears Sunglasses at Night
Psycheandromida

PostSubject: Re: Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif   Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 3:50 pm

Quote :
You seem you have confused that one part, Healing half of the damage the player is given, Poorly written but I ment it would heal the diffrance

Numerical values for damage aren't used in real fights, ICly people are expected to be more realistic. Alongside this, any and all ability to heal is a major gift, and the quickness of this ability makes no sense. Not even the priests of Illmartyr, who devote their entire lives to the practice of healing, are able to help people recover so quickly in so little time.

Quote :
The principle of the character is Non-Violence and he will hardly ever get into a fight
Then he shouldn't have magic kung fu powers.

Quote :
and once again, the segement where he defeats the monks who had followed The Path of Inveitable Domination, that path usually would make you reckless and foolish, which leads to mistakes, and in conclussion would lead to weakness in combat.
That defeats the purpose of ever following this path.

Quote :
He never wanted a sixth sense, he just gained it for trying to find things for ten years, it was never his intention
It still doesn't make sense.
Back to top Go down
Zaku

Zaku

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif   Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 4:03 pm

God this community is so ANAL and so BUREAUCRATIC.

Let the damn guy play his character.
Back to top Go down
B3SERK

B3SERK

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif   Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 4:21 pm

Yes but.... he can paralyze people by punching them.
Back to top Go down
Krug

Krug

PostSubject: Re: Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif   Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif Icon_minitimeSun Jan 15, 2012 4:27 pm

Psyche wrote:
The worst case of this is "Caster Spreads the teachings gained from the Mysterious east to allies, Enhances Evasion,Strength,Charisma,Dextarity, for a limmited ammount of time", meaning people become stronger, more agile and more charismatic because they learn about philosophy in "The Mysterious East"? It's thinly-veiled elitism.

This skill and the paralysing punch aforementioned are my only issues with this.

If you removed them, then I think we'd all be a little more willing to accept.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif   Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Exiled Monk, Milam Aseif
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Olden Roleplay :: Aeria Section :: Characters :: Failed Characters-
Jump to: