Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Custom Models

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
kamaitama

kamaitama

Character sheet
Name: Naria Ordal
Race: Human

Custom Models Empty
PostSubject: Custom Models   Custom Models Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 3:09 pm

So I recently decided to take up modeling, and I found how easy it is, so I decided to use that to help Olden then.

I'm sure most of you have seen a model that however doesn't have NPC animations, or that is a reskin, or that has something you'd like changed or removed. Well, right now I'm gonna give you the possibility of doing so, you just give me a link of the model you want as a base, irregardless if it is a playermodel, has no animations, or that is a reskin, then you give me a list of what you want edited, and a base image for reference, and I'll be on my way.

This is an attempt to make the Olden RP experience more unique, since RPing with the City 17 citizens isn't as satisfying than RPing with people who look as unique as they are.

WHAT I CAN'T DO:

Rip a model straight from a game that hasn't been ripped and rigged beforehand. Too much hassle.
Make you a model from scratch. Don't have the time.
Make your model a different height than the standard City 17 citizen. Engine problems.
Give your char extra limbs, or atleast usable extra limbs. Both a hassle and a pain in the ass.
Wings aren't impossible to do, but will require me to have a wing model beforehand.
Back to top Go down

Custom Models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Models   Custom Models Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 3:11 pm

It'd take up way too much space, frustrating new players with millions of gigs of custom-models people'd want to customize their character and make it unique. I think it's good for posers, but not for Olden as a whole.
Back to top Go down
GeoWulf
Banned, somehow.

Character sheet
Name:

Custom Models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Models   Custom Models Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 3:18 pm

Mack wrote:
It'd take up way too much space, frustrating new players with millions of gigs of custom-models people'd want to customize their character and make it unique. I think it's good for posers, but not for Olden as a whole.

^

Though, I've always wanted the Citizen Male and Citizen Female heads hacked onto this:
http://garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=1567

Of course, for the female trenchcoats you'd have to kind of adjust the anatomy a bit. But that's easy.
Back to top Go down
kamaitama

kamaitama

Character sheet

Custom Models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Models   Custom Models Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 3:29 pm

Mack wrote:

Actually, each model is about 1mb zipped. 200 models is roughly 200mb, barely anything by today standards. And that is 200 models to give a truly custom experience.

Communities like TnB have however model packs that are 400 mb. There should be absolutely no problem with having custom models, as long as proper distribution is made. That means, simply uploading by parts.

We're talking about 200mb to make a basically new serious RP situation, for me, that's more than alright.

GeoWulf wrote:
Though, I've always wanted the Citizen Male and Citizen Female heads hacked onto this:

Of course, for the female trenchcoats you'd have to kind of adjust the anatomy a bit. But that's easy.

All of them might be counterproductive, if you tell me exactly which ones, I'll do it.
Back to top Go down
GeoWulf
Banned, somehow.

Character sheet
Name:

Custom Models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Models   Custom Models Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 3:32 pm

kamaitama wrote:
We're talking about 200mb to make a basically new serious RP situation, for me, that's more than alright.

GeoWulf wrote:

All of them might be counterproductive, if you tell me exactly which ones, I'll do it.

-For me, that's NOT alright, I know being who I am, I couldn't download 200 MB even if it was distributed. My internet is a little less than average, and it would take more than 5 hours to download--Believe me, I've tried with a 200mb or so file.

Group01, couldn't you do those?
Back to top Go down
kamaitama

kamaitama

Character sheet

Custom Models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Models   Custom Models Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 3:39 pm

GeoWulf wrote:
kamaitama wrote:

GeoWulf wrote:

-For me, that's NOT alright, I know being who I am, I couldn't download 200 MB even if it was distributed. My internet is a little less than average, and it would take more than 5 hours to download--Believe me, I've tried with a 200mb or so file.

Group01, couldn't you do those?

Group01 is 17 models, that's about 20 mb. If you want it give me the actual numbers.

My internet averages at about 50kb/s. So I know slow, but I also know about downloading overnight, and that downloading by parts is far more satisfying than 200mb by a single shot.
Back to top Go down
GeoWulf
Banned, somehow.

Character sheet
Name:

Custom Models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Models   Custom Models Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 3:57 pm

I can't leave my computer on overnight.
Back to top Go down

Custom Models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Models   Custom Models Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 4:05 pm

GeoWulf wrote:

My stationary's been running since 04-17 2008. I think you'll be fine.
Back to top Go down
Robert Neville

Robert Neville

Character sheet
Name: Ruarc
Race: Irish

Custom Models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Models   Custom Models Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 6:50 pm

Modelling isn't the hard part from what I remember, porting it into HL2 was the hard part...'tis why I dropped modeling after the first tutorial...I made an axe and a dynomite time bomb....thing...

Good to know someone can do this now though.
Back to top Go down
GeoWulf
Banned, somehow.

Character sheet
Name:

Custom Models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Models   Custom Models Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 7:47 pm

Mack wrote:
GeoWulf wrote:

My stationary's been running since 04-17 2008. I think you'll be fine.

But I'm not you.
Back to top Go down

Custom Models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Models   Custom Models Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 10:01 pm

I got an idea. How about you make a bunch of different skins for the current models? Wouldn't that take up -much less- room than completely seperate models?
Back to top Go down
kamaitama

kamaitama

Character sheet

Custom Models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Models   Custom Models Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 10:03 pm

Richard Crimson wrote:
I got an idea. How about you make a bunch of different skins for the current models? Wouldn't that take up -much less- room than completely seperate models?

No, because you can't change skins on a model that isn't compiled with those skins. Also, textures take up about 80% of the size of a model, soo, yeah.
Back to top Go down
Raged

Custom Models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Models   Custom Models Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 11:34 pm

I've seen on a few servers some sort of script that allows the played to have props attached to themselves, No it's not playerweld.

Hl2land has or used to have one, I don't think it's been released publically.

For example, You can have a bucket on your head. Or a sniper slung over your back.
Back to top Go down

Custom Models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Models   Custom Models Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 8:03 am

http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=25937
Remodel the terminator and make it white and gray as well as replacing his head with somthing else for my Alexander Stukov. Smile Grey Knight armor woot.
lolol
If thats possible of course and please.

Last edited by Drakeson on Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : D:)
Back to top Go down
kamaitama

kamaitama

Character sheet

Custom Models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Models   Custom Models Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 1:42 pm

Drakeson wrote:
http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=25937
Remodel the terminator and make it white and gray as well as replacing his head with somthing else for my Alexander Stukov. Smile Grey Knight armor woot.
lolol
If thats possible of course and please.

That's super fucking low res, we're talking about 75 polygons here.. Find a higher poly model man.

Raged wrote:
I've seen on a few servers some sort of script that allows the played to have props attached to themselves, No it's not playerweld.

For example, You can have a bucket on your head. Or a sniper slung over your back.

Yeah, I'm the one who had the idea for clothing mod, OMalley supplied me the whole parenting code and stuff on HL2land.

BTW, I'm Gustavio.
Back to top Go down
GeoWulf
Banned, somehow.

Character sheet
Name:

Custom Models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Models   Custom Models Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 5:27 pm

Raged wrote:

I should try this...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Custom Models Empty
PostSubject: Re: Custom Models   Custom Models Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Custom Models
Page 1 of 1