Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay.

Go down 
+4
Jumbo_Grill
TRUlyjuST
Koliup
kamaitama
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kamaitama

kamaitama

Character sheet
Name: Naria Ordal
Race: Human

Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay. Empty
PostSubject: Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay.   Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 6:25 pm

I recently had this idea. Given that we're getting offered a server for free, which although Olden itself wouldn't really need ( We peaked today at 18 people, which is good, but we have a 26 slot server ) right now, it would be plain out wrong to deny such offer, so, here's an idea.

We take the offer of the server, and make a fork community, unrelated to Olden, although ran by similar laws. The proposed name? Eternia, name doesn't really matter right now, though. Olden itself doesn't really have space for much improvement, so a dev team would be rather useless since the admins can pretty much upkeep the server and lore.

Scriptwise, the fork project would use the exact same one there is on the server, with some edits. Any major update to both of them, I would upload to my SVN, and send to both servers. No biggie, so updates on Olden won't cease.

Lorewise, I saw from my dev team suggestion thread that there's a lot of good lore writers that I could use to make a successful original backstory. The general idea is that humanity has reached the point it has advanced so much it began to fork into different races, who now dominate different parts of space. Will be developed later.

Administrative-wise. Basic admins will not be the same, most likely, however, I don't see any problem with head admins being global, as in, administrators of both communities. Olden and Eternia are not EVER made to compete with eachother, or even communicate. They should be completely unrelated, and only bearing either the same forum, or the same general name. If all, Eternia would be a spinoff of Olden.

Community-wise, some people from Olden would probably like visiting Eternia at some point. Evidently they won't have the same benefits, but they will definitely be recieved. As they're not competing, there won't be such thing as advertising Eternia in Olden, or anything remotely like that. Therefore, Eternia would probably be conformed of a certain bunch of people from both places, and new people.

So, what do you guys think?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay.   Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 6:36 pm

Sounds pretty cool, I'd be interested to hear more 'bout what the background would be, like, sci-fi, horror, annother fantasy? I myself would gear towards a more sci-fi or like, something other then fantasy, so that if people arn't in the mood for fantasy rp one day they can hop over to the other server.
Back to top Go down
kamaitama

kamaitama

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay.   Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 6:42 pm

Rutabega wrote:
Sounds pretty cool, I'd be interested to hear more 'bout what the background would be, like, sci-fi, horror, annother fantasy? I myself would gear towards a more sci-fi or like, something other then fantasy, so that if people arn't in the mood for fantasy rp one day they can hop over to the other server.

It's sci-fi with MAYBE some fantasy elements, and yes, that's pretty much the idea.
Back to top Go down
Koliup

Koliup

Location : Walling myself off from civilization, while re-living my horrible life.

Character sheet
Name: Skynet
Race: Giant super computer.

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay.   Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 6:50 pm

I have a bit of a suggestion for plot intro or something:

2009: Dereck Hausmer theorized that humans may be drifting away from eachother gene wise, this was laughed out, casted away, and the world went on.
2050: A child is born, bearing extremely large muscle mass, this is disregarded as a mutation.
2074: The first true (Insert subhuman race name here) is born, a physically strong, easily tired, and mentally gentle subhuman is born, upon first 'checkup' doctors scramble for theories, and realize, with a start, humans are drifting away.

Laughable I know, but that's just a suggestion or something.
Back to top Go down
kamaitama

kamaitama

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay.   Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 7:01 pm

Koliup wrote:
I have a bit of a suggestion for plot intro or something:

2009: Dereck Hausmer theorized that humans may be drifting away from eachother gene wise, this was laughed out, casted away, and the world went on.
2050: A child is born, bearing extremely large muscle mass, this is disregarded as a mutation.
2074: The first true (Insert subhuman race name here) is born, a physically strong, easily tired, and mentally gentle subhuman is born, upon first 'checkup' doctors scramble for theories, and realize, with a start, humans are drifting away.

Laughable I know, but that's just a suggestion or something.

Not really, although I generally like having a pretty rich backstory. For example, in my past project, Projekt 7E9, this was our backstory.

http://www.projekt7e9.com/backstory.html

It was 20 pages long, and it covered an overview of the world from 2011 to 2015. So yeah, I'm kind of looking for detail here. Then again, that's secondary right now, the first thing to do is to find if people approve.
Back to top Go down
TRUlyjuST

TRUlyjuST

Character sheet
Name:
Race: Golden Retriever

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay.   Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 7:13 pm

An interesting concept... But, what if it ends up like the other two fork communities we have tried? (both died out relatively quickly) This could live... but, I'm unsure.. can we spread ourselves that far?
Back to top Go down
Jumbo_Grill

Jumbo_Grill

Character sheet
Name: ???
Race:

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay.   Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 7:16 pm

I was thinking about a Dead Space themed Roleplay... But Then I saw this thread.
Well. It's a nice Idea, but I don't think we can spread that far, like Truly asked.
Back to top Go down
kamaitama

kamaitama

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay.   Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 7:25 pm

TRUlyjuST wrote:
An interesting concept... But, what if it ends up like the other two fork communities we have tried? (both died out relatively quickly) This could live... but, I'm unsure.. can we spread ourselves that far?

As long as one doesn't rely on the other, it's perfectly possible. We're not piggybacking on Olden's success, Eternia will make it's own community. I've ran communities before, I'll be sure it lives on.
Back to top Go down
Hyperiant

Hyperiant

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay.   Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 10:55 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-replicating_machine

Make the plot-pushing enemy a huge faction of Von Neumann machines. They can form into big robots and the like, and are all connected to a network (though their signal can be jammed by the proper characters).
Back to top Go down
Koliup

Koliup

Location : Walling myself off from civilization, while re-living my horrible life.

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay.   Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay. Icon_minitimeWed Jul 15, 2009 11:48 pm

Hyperiant wrote:

Make the plot-pushing enemy a huge faction of Von Neumann machines. They can form into big robots and the like, and are all connected to a network (though their signal can be jammed by the proper machinery).
Fix'd?
Anyway, I vote kam leads the possibly going to be in existence community.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay.   Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 2:54 am

Kam, good idea to use the map with all the different planets that you showed me one day? Or would it be on just one single planet?
Back to top Go down
kamaitama

kamaitama

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay.   Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 6:36 am

Rossii wrote:
Kam, good idea to use the map with all the different planets that you showed me one day? Or would it be on just one single planet?

Yeah, that map and I'm probably gonna play around with Spacebuild code snippets in order to make stuff like spacesuits or reentry effects, all that cool stuff.

Hyperiant wrote:

Make the plot-pushing enemy a huge faction of Von Neumann machines. They can form into big robots and the like, and are all connected to a network (though their signal can be jammed by the proper characters).

Could be an enemy faction, however, the point of the plot is that there is not just one enemy everyone fights against. Like Olden, such definitions like villian and hero should be blurred out, to allow for more flexibility.

Thanks for the support guys, much appreciated. I'm not being sarcastic.
Back to top Go down
Phaeron

Phaeron

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay.   Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 2:25 pm

I'm definitely with this. New takes on sci-fi roleplay are always welcome in my book.
Back to top Go down
kamaitama

kamaitama

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay.   Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 5:02 pm

Phaeron wrote:
I'm definitely with this. New takes on sci-fi roleplay are always welcome in my book.

He's doing lore, BTW. I'm doing a script, based on the one on Olden, with some extra features:

-Space eye candy, reentry effects for people, your head blows up when you're on space without a suit, you vaporize when you're on a hot environment and your race doesn't allow such heat.

-Both races and factions.

-Uses the clever character creation system I made.

-Uses a stripped down, basic version of spacebuild. It doesn't use resources, at all. Ships are just press E and fly, and they bring automatic infinite life support. For space stations or whatever.

((NOTICE, you're not meant to built at all on the server, only minor stuff. Nobody is building ships, there's premade ships you can fly without adding anything to them, and even those are trust spawned and limited per person. I mean spacestations for an event or whatever ))

-Animations are gonna be pretty much flawless, and will use a much varied amount of models. There will also be per race models. No more HL2 citizen.

-Probably some sort of implementation of economy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay.   Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 5:23 pm

This would be wonderful, but we'd be stuck with bullshit forums.
Back to top Go down
kamaitama

kamaitama

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay.   Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 6:07 pm

Kruggly wrote:
This would be wonderful, but we'd be stuck with bullshit forums.

No biggie really. I mean, that's simply the least of concerns. If we have a sister community, we could easily keep traffic on that forum.
Back to top Go down
Koliup

Koliup

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay.   Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay. Icon_minitimeThu Jul 16, 2009 11:42 pm

kamaitama wrote:
your head blows up when you're on space without a suit, you vaporize when you're on a hot environment and your race doesn't allow such heat.
Neither of those are realistic, vaporization doesn't occur(Unless you're more water than a human is, humans melt, and chitin covered races would steam and tenderize under their biological armor.), and your CHEST explodes in space ONLY when you hold your breath(For airsack races, like us.).

Realism strike.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay.   Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 3:11 am

Yes, but there are no HL2 or other Source games with that player animation in it, are there? I'm not sure where the head exploding animation will come from though :S .
Back to top Go down
Donixs
Basic Administrator
Donixs

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay.   Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 4:04 am

kamaitama wrote:
TRUlyjuST wrote:

As long as one doesn't rely on the other, it's perfectly possible. We're not piggybacking on Olden's success, Eternia will make it's own community. I've ran communities before, I'll be sure it lives on.

What success?
Back to top Go down
kamaitama

kamaitama

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay.   Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 4:57 pm

Koliup wrote:
kamaitama wrote:
your head blows up when you're on space without a suit, you vaporize when you're on a hot environment and your race doesn't allow such heat.
Neither of those are realistic, vaporization doesn't occur(Unless you're more water than a human is, humans melt, and chitin covered races would steam and tenderize under their biological armor.), and your CHEST explodes in space ONLY when you hold your breath(For airsack races, like us.).

Realism strike.

Vaporization as turning into vapor, no. Vaporization as, your blood boiling up, and your skin melting, it does. I can't exactly add a system to determine when you're holding your breath and whatnot. And not only that but nearly everything on your body, including for example the eyes would just explode upon reaching vacuum conditions.

It's sci-fi anyway, the point is to not be real.

Rossii wrote:
Yes, but there are no HL2 or other Source games with that player animation in it, are there? I'm not sure where the head exploding animation will come from though :S .

Not a player animation, I'm using the clientside code of the inflator tool, and some Lua effects.

Donixs wrote:
What success?

Off my thread please.
Back to top Go down
Donixs
Basic Administrator
Donixs

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay.   Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 6:08 pm

I asked a question lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay.   Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 6:18 pm

Donixs wrote:
I asked a question lol.

Obvious troll is obvious. Go away.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay.   Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 6:21 pm

This roleplay will need..

Esplosions

MAssive sucking ships of war and pillaging

Space vikings

and burger kings on each fucking block of street
Back to top Go down
https://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm161/v4v_bucket2/12325130553
Donixs
Basic Administrator
Donixs

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay.   Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 6:22 pm

Mack wrote:
Donixs wrote:
I asked a question lol.

Obvious troll is obvious. Go away.

Srs question, tell me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay.   Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay. Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 6:34 pm

I'd consider the high RP value Olden has as success, personally. But that's off-topic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay.   Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suggestion for a fork project: Eternia, futuristic utopian roleplay.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next