Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Prone's Point

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Prone_To_Death18

Character sheet
Name: Haetire
Race: Drow

Prone's Point Empty
PostSubject: Prone's Point   Prone's Point Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 12:32 am

Withdrawn.

As an aside, I've seen a lot about people "not starting out powerful", and etc....

I've been playing on olden a long time now, and I've developed it least 2 of my chars very well, I think, over a long time span.

The problem with the "you should have to gain power' is assuming that all chars WANT POWER, are THRUST INTO POWER, which can only be done by the admins, and if the admins don't like you OOCly or aren't your friend OOCly it seems to not happen. At all. Olden has long suffered from "main character disease", and I have a friend who plays here as well who agrees with me on this point (possibly another but I haven't asked his opinion on it so bluntly).

It seems like no matter what a char does, if your not one of the "main chars' your excluded. And I know you've heard this before so I'll be short about it.

Now, another thing is "older player" syndrome, which, is to be fair not entirely bad. A older player is someone the community knows on the whole and can trust to a point, or itleast they know how they will act when thrust into certain positions. However don't let it blind you to new potential. In part this char was a "maybe it's my turn to try being powerful, for once", but more importantly I wanted to make this char because of the massive RP potential for me personally and those around me. What a plot device he could've been.

Which brings me to another point.

All characters are potential plot devices, it is up to the admins to contact players about using the chars in a plot to help further the story overall, and the stories of individuals

Freeform is really fun and unusual, but plots are also fun as hell, and having your char involved in a plot can be AWESOME, even if it ends up resulting in a chars death. For example, if you see a char that seems interesting, contact that person privately ooc and say "Hey, I like your char, maybe we could use him in a plot. What sort of things do you think might work", and then you bounce it back and forth till you have something alot of people can potentially participate in. <-- This by the way is tied in with the "main character syndrome", since we only ever seem to have plots revolving around the same three-four chars (admin based plots anyway). And i'm not saying that private plots are inherently bad, just that they tend to be just that, private. By selecting different, random chars to center a small plot around you can get the whole community RPing about it (and it would help break up the occasional monotone of repeats that occasionally crops up in dry spells)

Oh, and also, admins, not all plots have to be uber-epic-omg-end-of-the-world if you screw up things. Just pointing that out. Nice on occasion but to much and they become dull.

And, as an aside to the aside, on the app thing...If your going to start choke-screwing the apps, you need to go back and review ALL the apps, because how does it seem remotely fair that a shitty app made it through when things were lax but a good one nowadays wont get in over nitpicks (not mine particularly but overall).

Feel free to move this to a new thread or whatever, but I posted it up here in the form app because I knew the admins might actually look at it here.

Last edited by Prone_To_Death18 on Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
TRUlyjuST

TRUlyjuST

Character sheet
Name:
Race: Golden Retriever

Prone's Point Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prone's Point   Prone's Point Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 12:21 pm

This... is alot... I'm unsure... It seems... well, meh...No one ever used Ruta's approval sets... I'm not sure, other people, give your opinions.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

Prone's Point Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prone's Point   Prone's Point Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 1:04 pm

I have bish.
Back to top Go down
https://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm161/v4v_bucket2/12325130553

Prone's Point Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prone's Point   Prone's Point Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 2:14 pm

Quote :
No one ever used Ruta's approval sets... I'm not sure, other people, give your opinions.

Cut down on the bloody apps. Make them really hard to pass. Everyone's an overpowered superhero by now.
Back to top Go down
TRUlyjuST

TRUlyjuST

Character sheet
Name:
Race: Golden Retriever

Prone's Point Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prone's Point   Prone's Point Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 2:15 pm

*Cough* Any comments on the APP?
Back to top Go down

Prone's Point Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prone's Point   Prone's Point Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 2:18 pm

Quote :
Cut down on the bloody apps. Make them really hard to pass. Everyone's an overpowered superhero by now.
Back to top Go down

Prone's Point Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prone's Point   Prone's Point Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 2:28 pm

There's so much I like and don't approve of in this app that I don't think I can give an accept or a deny.

Still leaning towards an accept, cause I miss my blood elf warlock so much. =/
Back to top Go down
Hyperiant

Hyperiant

Prone's Point Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prone's Point   Prone's Point Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 3:24 pm

I trust Prone...a bit...but damn, we don't need more powerful characters running around.
Back to top Go down

Prone's Point Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prone's Point   Prone's Point Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 5:15 pm

TRUlyjuST wrote:
This... is alot... I'm unsure... It seems... well, meh...No one ever used Ruta's approval sets... I'm not sure, other people, give your opinions.

I have. Twice.

Mhm. I think this guy should be accepted, and if he abooses then he = apdspdhp rejected
Back to top Go down

Prone's Point Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prone's Point   Prone's Point Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 5:37 pm

I have nothing against the char or Prone. But there's too bloody many. Cut down on the apps, or we'll be overrun.
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet
Name: Kain Redwell
Race: Human (?)

Prone's Point Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prone's Point   Prone's Point Icon_minitimeFri Jul 17, 2009 7:52 pm

Lol, this reeks of Warcraft, Prone. I would heavily prefer if you tried adapting this to Olden more and changing some elements. I also agree with the sentiments of people that have posted before me, just about everyone already has some really powerful character.

Hint: You don't have to be a wimp to have a normal character. If you want to play the tough badass, that's fine, but you can do it on a normal scale. I've been trying to make this change, cause I know I definitely need it the most.

If you can convince us this character is not a super-powered badass, well, this might get more accepts. And before I get to work on commenting on your summary, I have one request: Please format the application so it's a bit easier to read. Reading through walls of text would be easier if everything did not look exactly the same.

So, let's do a little play-by-play, shall we?

Advantages:
Quote :
Warlockdom - Relil is a warlock. He has all the powers of a warlock of a balanced nature, with a slight lean towards affliction.

Okay, sure, now explain how skilled of one he is and how powerful a demon he can summon or how deadly his spells are. Plus, the demands on them. And then beyond that, how will the spellplague affect them?

Quote :
Imperial - Relil is an official warlock of the Empire in good standing, and works with their authority behind him on his job. He represents the interest of the Empire.

Okay, we have Hook, dude. We have a political power already in Surna, and he probably already has his own little team. I don't think we would need more. Beyond that, giving a character combat power AND political power seems to be frowned upon, as I have come to learn. If he's going to be more combat oriented, his political power must be very very minimal. If you want more, RP to earn it, and maybe seek the governor's favor.

Quote :
War Veteran - Relil is a war veteran and has seen active combat. He knows how to handle himself in a fight more competently then the normal "desk bound" warlocks might.

But how does that compare to an actual, competent and skilled fighter? That's the real question, here.

Quote :
Staff of Office - A two handed double bladed staff, the staff of the warlock is a balanced fighting weapon, usually made from very fine materials. It is normally infused with the warlocks energy, giving it a higher then normal armor penetration value. It also looks very bad ass.

Remove this foul abomination. It belongs in an equipment application.

Disadvantages:
Quote :
Demonic Corruption - Relil has to regularly "deal with the voices" in his head, and must fight a constant battle of willpower and control against the forces of hell attempting to bend him. This is represented by a daily meditation period of one hour in the morning.

This one hits home. How he deals with this is, like, half your character. But I feel you're taking corruption too simply. For example, when I first created Kain, Demonic Corruption was his bane. To make the character function, I made him with a seal on his soul, cutting off and freezing all magic affecting or coming from his soul, and crippling most of his internal magic use. Any time this seal was broken, it gave him power, yes, but it -killed- him, and after it had been sealed again, he would be in a state of cruddy weakness. In recent times, he's learned to deal with it far, far better, yes, but that was all character development. It didn't happen overnight, it happened in the span of 2-3 IC years, and almost 2 OOC years.

Quote :
Scars - A intricate and seemingly insane pattern of scars crisscrosses Relil's entire body, his mask a demonic mask (think some crazy demon tattoos you might see, except scars). These mark him as an outsider and makes him easily recognizable, though he often carries makeup to hide them.

This is hardly a disadvantage.. Vampires- VAMPIRES- walk around and manage to blend with society. This is more like something that would make your warlock cry himself to sleep at night, or something. It's a character trait that affects personality and story, nothing else.

Quote :
Blood Ritual - Relil's power source is demons, and the demons return power to him for blood. Every day at some point he must carve his body with a knife or some other sharp object, even his bare nails, remarking the scars. Due to the nature of his carving they heal over almost immediately, leaning not scabs or blood marks but true scars.

'Due to the nature of' ? Explain, please. Blood also also causes light-headedness and will make Relil loose his concentration. Relil also sounds like he would be anemic if he's constantly losing blood every day. Why don't you include Anemia as the con behind the blood ritual? Anyway, lack of blood = significanly less concentration and control. Maintaining mental functionality is beyond crucial for a user of magic, and demonic corruption + light headedness = super no-no. You would be fighting a losing battle.

Quote :
Fel smell - Those who can sense evil can sense the fel energies Relil uses, even though he himself may not be evil. He reeks of demons, so to speak.

It would be more of a con if he weren't working for the empire. As it is right now, people would just glare at him or something. If he weren't with the empire, there would be more attempts to take his life.

Quote :
Outsider - Relils warlockdom and appearance make him a target of suspicion and ridicule, at the least, and his obvious..strangeness causes most people to be inherently distrustful of him.

One word: Marcus.

This is not a con. This is just another character trait to make the character interesting.

Quote :
Marked Man - Relil is constantly under scrutiny from the empire, who watches his actions carefully due to his nature. They cannot allow him to go mad and possibly become a channel for other siders to break into this world.

This sounds like it depends on other people, particularly important or influential people, or hired hands, to actually have an effect.

That's all I've got for now. My personal feelings on this character is that, with someone like this, what you really want is a character that has lots of potential to be great, but no actual starting greatness. I feel he should be nerfed, and you should instead try and rise to power.
Back to top Go down
Prone_To_Death18

Character sheet
Name: Haetire
Race: Drow

Prone's Point Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prone's Point   Prone's Point Icon_minitimeSat Jul 18, 2009 6:21 pm

Withdrawn, and i suggest you read what I wrote <_< Or at the least move it somewhere where it belong (alternativly say something and i'll post it up elsewhere, I've got it saved)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Prone's Point Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prone's Point   Prone's Point Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prone's Point
Page 1 of 1