Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

-- Runes --

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

-- Runes -- Empty
PostSubject: -- Runes --   -- Runes -- Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 8:11 pm

-- Runes -- Img384
-=-=-INFORMATION-=-=-
Chapter 1 wrote:
Runes are engravings, on certain objects or weapons, Which include Daggers, Staves, Swords, Rare Stones, or Jewelery.
After engraved, they are empowered with Enchantment Magic, enhancing the magical abilities of the user. Each rune has it's own benefit, and it's own drawback. Requiring certain levels in skill to make them, runes aren't exactly the easiest things to come by. However, some pre-runed items are sometimes available in a few stores, but at rather steep prices. But however, are worth the money, assuming they are not fake. The more powerful runes, require a higher level of magic. You may only have three of them, and that depends on the size of the item. Example; One rune may be placed on small items, like jewelery or stones, Two can be placed on smaller weapons, such as daggers, Three can be put on blunt weapons, like Cudgels, and Maces. and Four can be placed on larger weapons, such as swords, and staves.

-- Runes -- Rune%20stones%20assort%20gems
-=-=-TYPES OF RUNES-=-=-
Chapter 14 wrote:
There are several types of runes, all used for different schools of magic. Here is a list of them;
Red Runes - Evocation
Purple Runes - Illusion
Green Runes - Transmutation
Yellow Runes - Divination
Cyan Runes - Abjuration
Blue Runes - Conjuration
Grey Runes - Enchantment
Black Runes - Necromancy
Note: These types of runes are stones only, please refer to Chapter 23 for more information on weapons

-- Runes -- Coloured-rune-blade
-=-=-RUNES AND WEAPONS-=-=-
Chapter 23 wrote:

Runes may be applied to weapons, with one difference, As they do not enhance the school of magic, but spells themselves. Slower Casting, but more More Effectiveness, is an example of this.
People often put them on their weapons, for conventionality.

-- Runes -- Misheloneous-Runes-rock
-=-=-LIST OF RUNES-=-=-
Chapter 28 wrote:

There are many runes in OldenLand, but many have yet to even be discovered yet.
Here is a list of most of the known runes:

-=-=-WEAPON RUNES-=-=-
-- Runes -- RuneLum | Serpent's Sting |
In Combination with Snake's Spine, and Venom's Fang, the three runes combine in power to enchant any weaponry with a mild paralyzing poison. While, the poison paralyzes, it also fatigues the user, much like it would a snake. Though, there's only enough power for one 'sting' per day.

-- Runes -- RuneThul | Venom's Fang |
In combination with Snake's spine, and Serpent's sting, the three runes combine in power to enchant any weaponry with a mild paralyzing poison. While, the poison paralyzes it also fatigues the user, much like it would a snake. Though, there's only enough power for one 'sting' per day.

-- Runes -- RuneSol | Snake's Spine |
In combination with Venom's Fang, and Serpent's sting, the three runes combine in power to enchant any weaponry with a mild paralyzing poison. While, the poison paralyzes it also fatigues the user, much like it would a snake. Though, there's only enough power for one 'sting' per day.

-- Runes -- RuneOrt | Blood's Bane |
When used to enchant a weapon, "Blood's Bane" thins out the blood of the wounded. Causing them to bleed more, which intune makes every attack more lethal, and life threatening. But in return, should the user not 'feed' the rune blood, of his or her foes, the effect will backfire, causing the user to go under the same effects. Making this rune a very iffy enchantment, might want to think twice about applying it.

-- Runes -- RuneCham | Flesh's Render |
When used to enchant a weapon, "Flesh's Render" would appear to make the enchanted weaponry sharper, dealing more vicious blows to targetted foes. But, it's much more then that. With the use of transmutation, and a mix of trickery. The enchanted weaponry is actually given a barbed edge. Invisible to the naked eye. Causing it's edge to tear, and 'render' away at flesh. Should this Rune be applied to any other rune, it's effects become Null. Making it a perfect enchantment for daggers, and the like. Assassins and rouges are very fond of this stone.

-- Runes -- RuneZod | Marrow Masher |
Should this rune be applied to a blunt, and blunt weaponry, only. It causes the effected weapon to apparently deal a more harsher blow to organic matter. By using a mixture of evocation, and some simple magically applied force, the user is easily able to deal more devastating blows. But, should this rune be applied with any other, the effects do the exact opposite, and cause the weapon to strike with a softer, more pleasant strike.

-- Runes -- RuneSur | Talos' Tongue |
This rare, and mysterious rune, through what legends have told us was given to Talos' dedicated worshipers as a piece of jewelery. Actually brings upon the user an electrical shock, upon touching it. Soon enough, his worshipers would find a more practical purpose for these stones, and would apply them to weaponry. Giving them a shocking strike, which in turn would deliver the sting right back to the user if they were not properly protected, and insulted. Making this, another iffy enchantment. Should you be found with these rare artifacts by a member of Talos, except a non-friendly greeting.

-- Runes -- RuneIth | Bane's Bite |
Another godly stone, "Bane's Bite" has a simple purpose. Strike fear in the minds of those Bane deems weak. And with that, any weapon enchanted with this rare pebble causes those who are wounded by it to go into a sudden shock of fear, and submission. Though, if the wounded is another member of bane, it comes to no affect. But, if the user were to lose Bane's favor, he too would be stricken with fear, causing the enchanted weaponry to be forsaken, and it's purpose lost.

-=-=-RUNE STONES-=-=-
[TO BE ADDED]

Last edited by Kallistia on Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:23 pm; edited 38 times in total
Back to top Go down

-- Runes -- Empty
PostSubject: Re: -- Runes --   -- Runes -- Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 8:12 pm

Yay.

This has my support, and it's really cool beans.
Back to top Go down

-- Runes -- Empty
PostSubject: Re: -- Runes --   -- Runes -- Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 8:12 pm

-- Runes -- Arrow_pointing_down1

Last edited by Kallistia on Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

-- Runes -- Empty
PostSubject: Re: -- Runes --   -- Runes -- Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 8:46 pm

About done, you can feel free to post about it, now.
I'm going to add available runes, I guess. And you guys can suggest some, too! :3
Boo Hoo, A Double post, cry me a river, build me a bridge, and get over it. >.>
Back to top Go down

-- Runes -- Empty
PostSubject: Re: -- Runes --   -- Runes -- Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 9:10 pm

Quote :
Psyche: I lurv it
Narran: :O
Psyche: The only problem is,
Psyche: People will complain when the "Super mithril toting demi god" characters use it
Narran: Runes can't be THAT powerful.
Narran: xD
Psyche: but luckily no one will care when everyone else uses them.
Psyche: So that makes it okay
Narran: Just helpful improvements to your existing spells.
Psyche: Yet my point remains valid

Is it worth the drama?
Back to top Go down

-- Runes -- Empty
PostSubject: Re: -- Runes --   -- Runes -- Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 9:11 pm

Psyche wrote:
Quote :
Psyche: People will complain when the "Super mithril toting demi god" characters use it

Is it worth the drama?

Is Olden. Period?
Back to top Go down

-- Runes -- Empty
PostSubject: Re: -- Runes --   -- Runes -- Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 9:14 pm

Psyche wrote:
Quote :

Is it worth the drama?
Psyche, people created drama over KILLING A RAT, ICly
This can't be any worse, right?
Back to top Go down

-- Runes -- Empty
PostSubject: Re: -- Runes --   -- Runes -- Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 9:20 pm

Kallistia wrote:
Psyche, people created drama over KILLING A RAT, ICly. This can't be any worse, right?

Good point. Let's make some runes.
Back to top Go down

-- Runes -- Empty
PostSubject: Re: -- Runes --   -- Runes -- Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 9:37 pm

That's right.
I'd like some suggestions, people. Wink
Back to top Go down

-- Runes -- Empty
PostSubject: Re: -- Runes --   -- Runes -- Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 10:00 pm

Fiery Rune - Makes the weapon/armor fire resistant. Adds a red glow.
Icy Rune - Makes the
weapon/armor ice resistant. Adds a light blue glow.
Earth Rune - Makes the weapon/armor earth magic resistant. Adds a brown glow.

etc.
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet
Name: Kain Redwell
Race: Human (?)

-- Runes -- Empty
PostSubject: Re: -- Runes --   -- Runes -- Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 10:01 pm

In Diablo 2, every rune you found corresponded to a sound. When you combined them in the right order in a socketed item, you would form rune-words. Individual runes had their own small attributes, but a rune-word unlocked greater powers because of the combination. Rune words were, however, hard to create because there were so many kinds of runes and you rarely found the right combinations.

I think incorporating runewords along with individual rune effects would be cool.

Edit: This would mean individual runes are nothing to brag about, but the right combination of runes could give you a substantial boost.
Back to top Go down

-- Runes -- Empty
PostSubject: Re: -- Runes --   -- Runes -- Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 10:02 pm

Ness Tea wrote:
Fiery Rune - Makes the weapon/armor fire resistant. Adds a red glow.
Icy Rune - Makes the
weapon/armor ice resistant. Adds a light blue glow.
Earth Rune - Makes the weapon/armor earth magic resistant. Adds a brown glow.

etc.
Seems a bit.. powerful. ._.
Or do you mean, not completely, but still resists a little of it?
And, I just learned that those are enchantments, Sorry ness. Razz

Last edited by Kallistia on Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

-- Runes -- Empty
PostSubject: Re: -- Runes --   -- Runes -- Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 10:48 pm

Mmmm. Runes + Sword = Magical Sword.

I sense much abuse POTENTIAL here.
Back to top Go down

-- Runes -- Empty
PostSubject: Re: -- Runes --   -- Runes -- Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 10:49 pm

Mmmm. Runes + Sword = Even MORE Overpowered.

I sense much drama here.

But, on a more serious note. I like this idea, and I'm writing up some runes, myself.
Hey, maybe we can get a rune-crafter character.
Back to top Go down

-- Runes -- Empty
PostSubject: Re: -- Runes --   -- Runes -- Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 10:55 pm

Reminds me of runes like in Diablo2 exp, sounds neat, if properly handed out.

Also, that rune table thing is in the shape of the mark of Chaos Very Happy
Back to top Go down

-- Runes -- Empty
PostSubject: Re: -- Runes --   -- Runes -- Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 10:57 pm

If used right, I'd love runes in Olden.

I mean, if everyone's swords are magical... Mmm. Jenstastic.
Back to top Go down

-- Runes -- Empty
PostSubject: Re: -- Runes --   -- Runes -- Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 10:59 pm

--[ Zaku's Rune Suggestions ]--

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Runes -- RuneLum | Serpent's Sting |
In Combination with Snake's Spine, and Venom's Fang, the three runes combine in power to enchant any weaponry with a mild paralyzing poison. While, the poison paralyzes, it also fatigues the user, much like it would a snake. Though, there's only enough power for one 'sting' per day.

-- Runes -- RuneThul | Venom's Fang |
In combination with Snake's spine, and Serpent's sting, the three runes combine in power to enchant any weaponry with a mild paralyzing poison. While, the poison paralyzes it also fatigues the user, much like it would a snake. Though, there's only enough power for one 'sting' per day.

-- Runes -- RuneSol | Snake's Spine |
In combination with Venom's Fang, and Serpent's sting, the three runes combine in power to enchant any weaponry with a mild paralyzing poison. While, the poison paralyzes it also fatigues the user, much like it would a snake. Though, there's only enough power for one 'sting' per day.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-- Runes -- RuneOrt | Blood's Bane |
When used to enchant a weapon, "Blood's Bane" thins out the blood of the wounded. Causing them to bleed more, which intune makes every attack more lethal, and life threatening. But in return, should the user not 'feed' the rune blood, of his or her foes, the effect will backfire, causing the user to go under the same effects. Making this rune a very iffy enchantment, might want to think twice about applying it.

-- Runes -- RuneCham | Flesh's Render |
When used to enchant a weapon, "Flesh's Render" would appear to make the enchanted weaponry sharper, dealing more vicious blows to targetted foes. But, it's much more then that. With the use of transmutation, and a mix of trickery. The enchanted weaponry is actually given a barbed edge. Invisible to the naked eye. Causing it's edge to tear, and 'render' away at flesh. Should this Rune be applied to any other rune, it's effects become Null. Making it a perfect enchantment for daggers, and the like. Assassins and rouges are very fond of this stone.

-- Runes -- RuneZod | Marrow Masher |
Should this rune be applied to a blunt, and blunt weaponry, only. It causes the effected weapon to apparently deal a more harsher blow to organic matter. By using a mixture of evocation, and some simple magically applied force, the user is easily able to deal more devastating blows. But, should this rune be applied with any other, the effects do the exact opposite, and cause the weapon to strike with a softer, more pleasant strike.

-- Runes -- RuneSur | Talos' Tongue |
This rare, and mysterious rune, through what legends have told us was given to Talos' dedicated worshipers as a piece of jewelery. Actually brings upon the user an electrical shock, upon touching it. Soon enough, his worshipers would find a more practical purpose for these stones, and would apply them to weaponry. Giving them a shocking strike, which in turn would deliver the sting right back to the user if they were not properly protected, and insulted. Making this, another iffy enchantment. Should you be found with these rare artifacts by a member of Talos, except a non-friendly greeting.

-- Runes -- RuneIth | Bane's Bite |
Another godly stone, "Bane's Bite" has a simple purpose. Strike fear in the minds of those Bane deems weak. And with that, any weapon enchanted with this rare pebble causes those who are wounded by it to go into a sudden shock of fear, and submission. Though, if the wounded is another member of bane, it comes to no affect. But, if the user were to lose Bane's favor, he too would be stricken with fear, causing the enchanted weaponry to be forsaken, and it's purpose lost.

Last edited by Zaku350 on Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

-- Runes -- Empty
PostSubject: Re: -- Runes --   -- Runes -- Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 11:00 pm

Added them! :3
Back to top Go down

-- Runes -- Empty
PostSubject: Re: -- Runes --   -- Runes -- Icon_minitimeSun Jul 26, 2009 11:27 pm

-- Runes -- Jellyfishu
MOAR RUNES, PEOPLEZ
Back to top Go down
Koliup

Koliup

Location : Walling myself off from civilization, while re-living my horrible life.

Character sheet
Name: Skynet
Race: Giant super computer.

-- Runes -- Empty
PostSubject: Re: -- Runes --   -- Runes -- Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 2:41 am

The only problem with this, is that:
Every character is suddenly going to find a raided merchants caravan which miraculously has a few VERY POWERFUL AND EXPENSIVE RUNES in it.
We then have everyone with an enchanted, silver tinged, stygian weapon, which casts spells.
I do not like this.
I have a suggestion to fix it though: Everyone has to ICly get their runes from the trader, or some other admin approved rune dealing guy.
----------------------------------------
Rune suggestions:

Mosquito's bite: Strength sapping rune, used only on piercing weapons, or it is null, steals the attacked persons adrenaline, mental focus, and energy, this does however cause the user to be hit with a nasty dose of Hypersensitivity, causing their body to break down and damage itself, for the duration of the high received by attacking the other.

Fish breath: Used to enchant jewelry, when the wearer enters water, it allows them to breathe water like a fish, this will last several minutes, during its duration, the user cannot breathe outside of water.
------------------------------------------
Back to top Go down
Crimzon_Reaper

Character sheet
Name: General Lord Sir Hiram Von Dickington III
Race: Cockmongoloid

-- Runes -- Empty
PostSubject: Re: -- Runes --   -- Runes -- Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 6:30 am

Perhaps the possibility of binding runes and people exist?

If so, you could in theory grant improved health and resistances to some elements and or effects. Could also be used to suppress some illnesses and ailments.
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet
Name: Kain Redwell
Race: Human (?)

-- Runes -- Empty
PostSubject: Re: -- Runes --   -- Runes -- Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 6:58 am

Koliup wrote:
The only problem with this, is that:
Every character is suddenly going to find a raided merchants caravan which miraculously has a few VERY POWERFUL AND EXPENSIVE RUNES in it.
We then have everyone with an enchanted, silver tinged, stygian weapon, which casts spells.
I do not like this.
I have a suggestion to fix it though: Everyone has to ICly get their runes from the trader, or some other admin approved rune dealing guy.

Runes would still be subject to applications, like everything else. It's not giving people more of an ability to ass-pull, it's just giving them more variety in what they ass-pull! Ass-pulling itself is a whole 'nother issue entirely.

Anyway, I thought a bit about Rune mechanics.

Different materials should act in different ways to runes. Like for example:

Plain materials like iron, steel, pine, cotton or linen, would work so-so with runes. Silver, redwood oak or some other epic wood, and silk or such would work incredibly well. Mithril would be a couple steps below silver, etc etc.

Also, items that have been enchanted or imbued cannot be engraved with runes because you would be reshaping the entire basis of the item's magical composition. Once you define what kind of improvement the item is receiving, it can only improve in that regard, otherwise you have to start over.

Item dimensions is also another factor. Say we have a sword about this long:

< = = = = = = = = | = =c

And each complete rune takes up |= =| this much space. Thus, the maximum number of runes you can fix on this weapon is 4 runes.

In addition, Rune effectiveness depends on the material you use, and the number of runes you add. The formula for rune effectiveness would go:

E = (n(m)/n^r).

E is effectiveness, N is number of runes, and R is the material multiplier based on the material. 30% effectiveness is added whenever more than one rune is used. The effectiveness is applied to each individual rune's effect, though.

m=0.5 (More Runes = always better)

1(.5)/1^.5 = 100% , 2(.5)/2^.5 + .3= 101% , 3(.5)/3^.5 + .3= 117%

m=1 (More runes = always better)

1(1)/1^1 = 100% , 2(1)/2^1 + .3= 130%, 3(1)/3^1 + .3= 130%

m=2 (More runes = sometimes better)

1(2)/1^2 = 200%, 2(2)/2^2 + .3= 130%, 3(2)/3^2 + .3= 105%

m=3 (More runes = always worse)

1(3)/1^3 = 300%, 2(3)/2^3 + .3= 105%, 3(3)/3^3 + .3= 63%

For runes effects generated by combination of runes, multiply the effectiveness by the number of runes in the combination and apply it only to the combined effect.

That's all I can think of atm.

-

And yes, Crim, theoretically runes can be applied to literally anything and everything that can fit a run carving on it, or at least, that's how they should work.
Back to top Go down

-- Runes -- Empty
PostSubject: Re: -- Runes --   -- Runes -- Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 12:38 pm

I'm pretty sure, both IRL and in games, there are runes for luck, and normal skills. Not just powers. Like, luck would make the person less-likey to find a snake in a bag, and more likey to find a few coins in a bag.
Dunno where i know that from, i just know runes were originally like that. Just like spells were originally 'find in a book, can use and kill like, 1000's of people'.
Very glad olden isnt like cheap-ass old magic movies.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

-- Runes -- Empty
PostSubject: Re: -- Runes --   -- Runes -- Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 12:47 pm

How about a leech life rune.

Every time you "damage" your opponent that damage goes back and replaces part of your "health".

Sounds RPGish but it could work.
Back to top Go down
https://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm161/v4v_bucket2/12325130553
Koliup

Koliup

Location : Walling myself off from civilization, while re-living my horrible life.

Character sheet
Name: Skynet
Race: Giant super computer.

-- Runes -- Empty
PostSubject: Re: -- Runes --   -- Runes -- Icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 2:00 pm

Runes were part of the Nordic alphabet I believe.
I have an idea: how about we treat them like magical letters, instead of ass-pull stones?
EG: I have the runes for 'fire' engraved on my sword, I now have the possibility of doing: fire slahes, 25% of the time, lighting my opponent on fire when hitting them 25% of the time, and setting the blade aflame 25% of the time, and lastly, setting myself on fire 25% of the time.
Generic word, correct? That's where more runes=more predictable occurrence.
I decide to add the runes for 'blade' after 'fire', and, 75% of the time, my sword blade will ignite when I draw it, the other 25% of the time: It'll light EVERYTHING on fire.

So?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

-- Runes -- Empty
PostSubject: Re: -- Runes --   -- Runes -- Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

-- Runes --
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Olden Roleplay :: OOC Chat :: Recommendations-
Jump to: