Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence

Go down 
+8
Kain
Omap
thorogoodd
Krug
Phry
Graley
Mack
Gambit
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  Empty
PostSubject: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 2:39 am

Overview -

Through Shar's realm and tapping into the Shadow Weave, Melian links his shadow to dark magic. This allows the control of shadows in a physical sense, and a limited omnipresence to the user.

Using the power as a weapon -

First the link between shadow and the Shadow Weave would always be established to the obstruction caused by his body to make the founding ground shadow. His shadow can connect to others around him and become as if part of the original, expanding reach and power. The shadow can expand from the original shadow and contract to it's original point and light obstruction. Snake like, the shadow could be shaped like a scythe or spear and be used to slice and skewer people and objects.

Using the power as an extension of self -

The original shadow and all connected act like an extension of self as well. This would add multiple eyes or mouths, but can not add smell, taste, or feeling.

Negatives to the ability -

Naturally because this is a link of shadow magic, actual ground shadows and little light, holy light and the sun cut all abilities in half. On top of that, incredibly hard or magic/holy items would be able to deflect an attack at night time, in day, everything above iron can deflect an attack such as an attempted spearing. This does not defy the natural knowledge that plate armor and chain mail are naturally weak to pointed attacks and not slashes. At night full contact with the weave can be achieved, but light still has to be present to create shadow. In total darkness this ability is void, along with blinding lights.
  • During the day, there is a low dark aura felt locally and around Melian
  • At night, there is a powerful and dark aura that resonates from him
  • When a holy spell or weapon breaks a extension, it causes a great pain as if being stabbed
  • Snake like spears that have eyes and mouths, they have various ridges and such to act like a scythe
  • Primarily eye controlled, turning the ability on and off is merely like flicking a switch. That is the reason why the spears/snakes have eyes.

Ability at time of application [ | | | | | | | | | | ]

Spoiler:

Last edited by Gambit on Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:53 am; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm161/v4v_bucket2/12325130553
Mack
THE GLORY
Mack

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 5:08 am

i'm sorry, but am i the only one who couldn't decipher the grammar in this application? some of these sentences don't even make sense to me.

i might be the only one, but still, i just can't wrap my head around some of them.

Last edited by Mackalian on Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Graley

Character sheet
Name:
Race: Human

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 5:25 am

So... You can create shadow objects by tapping into Shar's realm and then these shadows would somehow be like physical?
Back to top Go down
Phry

Phry

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 7:49 am

Quote :
i'm sorry, but am i the only one who couldn't dechiffer the grammar in this application?

did you mean decipher?
Back to top Go down
Mack
THE GLORY
Mack

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 8:16 am

Quote :
did you mean decipher?

my bad
Back to top Go down
Phry

Phry

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 8:25 am

Mackalian wrote:
i'm sorry, but am i the only one who couldn't decipher the grammar in this application? some of these sentences don't even make sense to me.

i might be the only one, but still, i just can't wrap my head around some of them.

Gambit worded it...interestingly...but it does make sense grammatically.

Zack could sense this fucker from a mile off, so, sure, it's not as if he can spawn a giant axe out of shadow and smash up the Inn, it has it's limitations and negatives, which i like.
Back to top Go down
Krug

Krug

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 10:06 am

Wait... I'm with Mack.

I don't get this.
Back to top Go down
Mack
THE GLORY
Mack

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 10:25 am

after several minutes of trying to interpret, i realise "light obstruction" means something that obstructs light, not an obstruction that is a lightweight.

and with that, i have to say that this sounds overpowered.

he can just take a step forward so his shadow connects with yours, reach his hand out, grab your shadow, and stab you with it
Back to top Go down
Phry

Phry

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 1:18 pm

One would hope he wouldn't be walking around randomly stabbing people with their own shadows.

But that's a very good point...it'd be painfully easy to lolshiv someone in the back with their own shadow.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 1:41 pm

Mackalian wrote:
after several minutes of trying to interpret, i realise "light obstruction" means something that obstructs light, not an obstruction that is a lightweight.

and with that, i have to say that this sounds overpowered.

he can just take a step forward so his shadow connects with yours, reach his hand out, grab your shadow, and stab you with it

Yes, it is using shadow, not a lightweight object. To add, I tried rephrasing a few things but picking out sentences you don't understand helps. So does reading the spoiler'd chat logs

Phry wrote:
One would hope he wouldn't be walking around randomly stabbing people with their own shadows.

But that's a very good point...it'd be painfully easy to lolshiv someone in the back with their own shadow.

I have no reason to do so.
Back to top Go down
thorogoodd

thorogoodd

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 1:44 pm

Gambit wrote:
Phry wrote:

I have no reason to do so.

Doesn't mean you can't do it, if you wanted to. Which is the logic I think everyone is following.
Back to top Go down
Krug

Krug

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 1:53 pm

Quote :

And if it's like, not magic- how can anyone even counter that.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 1:55 pm

As dark and as devilishly this ability could be used to kill, Melian isn't a hostile and attacking character. He may be a recruited servant of Shar, his alignment isn't "Lol, I attack people for fun lol." The only way he would use it to kill was defense, scare tactic, espionage, or under order to kill someone.

Kruggly wrote:
Quote :

And if it's like, not magic- how can anyone even counter that.

I tried to make it clear if you re-read the application and all of the chat logs which happen to be very important, that it connects actual shadows to the shadow weave. Defending against it is as easy as parrying a sword or using a shield.

edit:

Omap wrote:
Isn't shadow magic more of a necromancer type of thing and less of a wizard thing?

Shar servant, was allowed access to power.

Last edited by Gambit on Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Omap

Omap

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 1:57 pm

Isn't shadow magic more of a necromancer type of thing and less of a wizard thing?
Back to top Go down
Graley

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 2:02 pm

Quote :
I tried to make it clear if you re-read the application and all of the chat logs which happen to be very important, that it connects actual shadows to the shadow weave. Defending against it is as easy as parrying a sword or using a shield.

The thing is if someone goes at you with a sword you can EXPECT it and parry it. If someone comes at you and just fumbles around with shadows you aren't as likely as to parry it.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 2:15 pm

Graley wrote:
Quote :

The thing is if someone goes at you with a sword you can EXPECT it and parry it. If someone comes at you and just fumbles around with shadows you aren't as likely as to parry it.

That is if it were pitch black you couldn't, then again the ability wouldn't work. It only works with a light source, for it is a shadow, and you'd see a weird creepy shadow moving with no object casting the shadow. And if you make a light bright enough, it's destroyed.
Back to top Go down
Mack
THE GLORY
Mack

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 2:23 pm

if someone grabbed my shadow randomly, i would be like "what in the name of fuck", if they then proceeded to stab me with it, i wouldn't have any time to react at all.
and don't just say "well people know magic and expect it in aeria", because people grabbing shadows is not something everyone in aeria has seen in their life.

i'm sorry, but i don't see this as very acceptable.
just because melian is "the-not-killing-type" shouldn't allow him the power to reach around your back and shank you with your own arm's shadow.

if you're looking for some cool shadow magic to defend yourself with, why don't you try something like an item that when used, draws upon nearby shadows to form a layer around you. this layer is indestructible, and negates all magic, but while in it you are immobilized, and when you remove the layer it causes almost unbearable physical pain and most likely knocks you out for an hour or two.
or something
the fuck do i know
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 2:34 pm

Mackalian wrote:
if someone grabbed my shadow randomly, i would be like "what in the name of fuck", if they then proceeded to stab me with it, i wouldn't have any time to react at all.
and don't just say "well people know magic and expect it in aeria", because people grabbing shadows is not something everyone in aeria has seen in their life.

i'm sorry, but i don't see this as very acceptable.
just because melian is "the-not-killing-type" shouldn't allow him the power to reach around your back and shank you with your own arm's shadow.

if you're looking for some cool shadow magic to defend yourself with, why don't you try something like an item that when used, draws upon nearby shadows to form a layer around you. this layer is indestructible, and negates all magic, but while in it you are immobilized, and when you remove the layer it causes almost unbearable physical pain and most likely knocks you out for an hour or two.
or something
the fuck do i know

Hm, I never thought to say that. And this isn't like "Grab shadow, kill" Now it is totally apparent nobody read the logs.
Quote :

1:13 AM - Pat: I'm thinking you could elaborate more on the offensive parts
1:13 AM - Pat: what it can do
1:13 AM - Gambit: Also, holy things would really be the only way to "harm" the extension and cause pain.
1:13 AM - Pat: sounds good
1:13 AM - Gambit: Elaborate like what also
1:14 AM - Pat: well, i suppose i'm having trouble visualizing it
1:15 AM - Gambit: Ever see the game 'The Darkness'
1:15 AM - Pat: yeah
1:15 AM - Gambit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opnG6qoVYzM&feature=related
1:15 AM - Gambit: Sort of like this

And also

Quote :
this layer is indestructible, and negates all magic, but while in it you are immobilized

Impossible actually, at the point where he encased himself in darkness it'd be total darkness and void all of it.

Edit: I never said it negated all magic either, and to the "indestructible" thing it isn't indestructible.
Back to top Go down
Mack
THE GLORY
Mack

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 2:40 pm

Quote :
Edit: I never said it negated all magic either, and to the "indestructible" thing it isn't indestructible.

that was just a suggestion of a thing you could do if you wanted some cool shadow magic that you could defend yourself with, instead of this thing where you turn shadows into eyes and swords.

and i did read the logs, and all it did was confuse me, because it was a back and forth between you and pat saying different things, and contradicting eachother and changing stuff around during the entire conversation.

and the video doesn't shed much light on it. it's just some guy running around during the last level of the darkness, shooting people and opening up dark portals.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 2:58 pm

http://thedarkness.wikia.com/wiki/The_Darkness

The helps I believe. I based it off the first two powers

Quote :
The first power you gain is called the Creeping Darkness. This allows you to scout out the level, perform stealth kills, and pick up unreachable collectables and weapons.
Quote :

The second power gained is Demon arm. This power spawns a tenticle from jackie to impale the target you aim at. It can be used to remove debris.
Back to top Go down
Graley

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 3:08 pm

Quote :
The first power you gain is called the Creeping Darkness. This allows you to scout out the level, perform stealth kills, and pick up unreachable collectables and weapons.

The second power gained is Demon arm. This power spawns a tenticle from jackie to impale the target you aim at. It can be used to remove debris.

This is why I worry. Impalement and stealth killing IS possible.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 3:22 pm

You can stealth kill anyone, anywhere, with any ability
Back to top Go down
Graley

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 3:35 pm

Yes, but being impaled by shadows is different. It'd be like having an ability to freeze the blood in someone's body. Sure, you could probably deflect the magic and all but you wouldn't expect a blood-freezing ability.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 3:41 pm

Graley wrote:
Yes, but being impaled by shadows is different. It'd be like having an ability to freeze the blood in someone's body. Sure, you could probably deflect the magic and all but you wouldn't expect a blood-freezing ability.

This isn't a blood freezing ability
Back to top Go down
Graley

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 3:42 pm

No, this is a shadow impaling ability.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence    Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Melian - Shadow & Omnipresence
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next