Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New rolling system?

Go down 
+8
Phry
Rutabega
thorogoodd
PuPeT-KaI
Kain
Dama Oscura
Krug
Munroe
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Munroe
DEAR GOD DON'T LOOK IN HIS EYES
Munroe

Character sheet
Name:

New rolling system? Empty
PostSubject: New rolling system?   New rolling system? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 1:08 am

Right, so have this roll function, but we're not really using it a whole lot. Another thing we have is character skill bars, which are pretty much pointless.

So, for anyone that wants to use a DnD style roll system for combat, how about !roll <100*skill level> 100 or something along those lines?

So, for skill level 5/6, it would be !roll 100*5/6 100 which would do a roll between ~83 and 100. This makes it extremely hard for someone with a skill level of, say, 1/6, to do much against a very skilled opponent, but he'd still probably get a lucky hit in or two.

If you're maxed out in a skill, then roll halfway between the top two skill levels. So 6/6 would be !roll 100*11/12 100 which would roll between ~92 and 100. The math doesn't get done with the !roll command and just returns 1, so you'll have to use a calculator or do it in your head if you want to use this system.

Having a higher maximum number, like 10, would make this a lot more advantageous, especially if you've mastered the skill, so you can't go any higher than max 10 if you plan to use this. For your information, a 10/10 skill level would roll between 95 and 100. I trust you can work it out in the RP.

That's the basics, but for more advanced people, you can take into account things like armor/weight, your character's fatigue, and combat style, and raise or lower the maximum accordingly. So for example, Eleanor, dressed in full platemail and wielding a claymore, would probably have a max of 7 or 8 versus a max of 10 with a one-handed-sword-wielding Vindicator. Eleanor against a slow, unarmed opponent would probably have a max 10 versus a max 5 or 6. Obviously it's much easier if they're maxed-out in the skill, but converting fractions isn't too bad. Then just calculate the decimal, round it to a whole number and insert it.
Back to top Go down
Krug

Krug

PostSubject: Re: New rolling system?   New rolling system? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 9:49 am

What about people without skill bars?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New rolling system?   New rolling system? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 9:55 am

Kruggly wrote:
What about people without skill bars?
Skill bars are easy enough to make, I'm sure nobody will have a problem if they decide to make one, :P. If someone doesn't -want- to make a skill bar, that's fine, because like rolling, it's not exactly mandatory here. It's just become popularized.
Back to top Go down
Dama Oscura

Dama Oscura

PostSubject: Re: New rolling system?   New rolling system? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 12:30 pm

If anyone makes an actual system, I'll code it in. It can have animations and all.
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet
Name: Kain Redwell
Race: Human (?)

PostSubject: Re: New rolling system?   New rolling system? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 12:49 pm

I'm always in support of moving closer to more clearly defined rules, but I do want to throw in the reminder that this is Roleplay, not Roleplaying Game. Let's not go and become taco

However, I would suggest having the rolls go 1 - 100 + Skill level*100, except for 10/10, which would be +95. This is so we can still factor natural 1's and natural 100's (Miraculous failure and Miraculous success roles.) A natural 100 could still beat, say, a 99 +95, because it's such an improbable role. The definition of beat is up to interpretation, but generally, a 100 is an end-all roll. A natural 1 would just be the opposite.
Back to top Go down
PuPeT-KaI

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: New rolling system?   New rolling system? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 2:24 pm

Kain wrote:
A natural 1

DnD hurphurp.

I think everyone should just change their skill bars to a 10-point one, so everyone can get the general idea and know exactly how much higher or lower another characters skill may be from there own. (( Not everyone needs to feel more special by having a 5-point bar or a 12-point bar :I )).

Then just do the usual roll system, but have it possible, for even if someone does !roll 1-30, they could get a 100 or a 50, just not that often. Then it'd still be simple and easy for everyone to learn. :T
Back to top Go down
thorogoodd

thorogoodd

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: New rolling system?   New rolling system? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 3:12 pm

PuPeT-KaI wrote:
Kain wrote:
A natural 1

DnD hurphurp.

I think everyone should just change their skill bars to a 10-point one, so everyone can get the general idea and know exactly how much higher or lower another characters skill may be from there own. (( Not everyone needs to feel more special by having a 5-point bar or a 12-point bar :I )).

Then just do the usual roll system, but have it possible, for even if someone does !roll 1-30, they could get a 100 or a 50, just not that often. Then it'd still be simple and easy for everyone to learn. :T

I understood Kain's better.
Back to top Go down
PuPeT-KaI

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: New rolling system?   New rolling system? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 6:01 pm

Everyone that does not have a 10-point skill system should change it to that so everyone has the same one, and it's easier to use the roll.

Have the !roll the same, but give it a randomizer of some sort so someone could get a possible 50, even if their skill would be 30.

EX.

***P1 attempts to punch P2 in the gut.
[[ P1 !roll 1-80, P2 !roll 1-50. ]]
[[ P1 rolls 60 out of 1-80. ]]
[[ P2 rolls 66 out of 1-100. ]]
***P2 gets lucky and is able to dodge/stop/ect. P1's punch.

Get it now?

Back to top Go down
Munroe
Munroe

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: New rolling system?   New rolling system? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 6:10 pm

Kain wrote:
I'm always in support of moving closer to more clearly defined rules, but I do want to throw in the reminder that this is Roleplay, not Roleplaying Game. Let's not go and become taco

However, I would suggest having the rolls go 1 - 100 + Skill level*100, except for 10/10, which would be +95. This is so we can still factor natural 1's and natural 100's (Miraculous failure and Miraculous success roles.) A natural 100 could still beat, say, a 99 +95, because it's such an improbable role. The definition of beat is up to interpretation, but generally, a 100 is an end-all roll. A natural 1 would just be the opposite.

So what you're saying is do a !roll 100 and add 100*skill level to the result? Then the first roll, if it's 100 = automatic success, and 1 = automatic miss? I think my system is simpler. You won't get any rolls over 100, and it's still entirely possible (actually easier) to get lucky shots. The miraculous success or failure can be done as a separate roll if you were so inclined.

Also, no, this isn't going to be a combat system. It can be used without any scripting modifications, with the !roll command we already have, and by anyone who chooses to use it.

PS: PuPeT, you just confused me more.
Back to top Go down
PuPeT-KaI

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: New rolling system?   New rolling system? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 6:13 pm

Munroe wrote:

Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnngh

BASICALLY
THE ROLL WE HAVE WONT NEED SOME HUGE MODIFICATIONS
IF WE JUST ADD SOME SORT OF NUMBER RANDOMIZER-SHIT
MAKING IT JUST A LUCK ROLL IF YOU GET MORE THAN YOUR SKILL LEVEL
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New rolling system?   New rolling system? Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 6:32 pm

Munroe wrote:
Kain wrote:

So what you're saying is do a !roll 100 and add 100*skill level to the result? Then the first roll, if it's 100 = automatic success, and 1 = automatic miss? I think my system is simpler. You won't get any rolls over 100, and it's still entirely possible (actually easier) to get lucky shots. The miraculous success or failure can be done as a separate roll if you were so inclined.

Also, no, this isn't going to be a combat system. It can be used without any scripting modifications, with the !roll command we already have, and by anyone who chooses to use it.

quote in quote.

I agree, your system is much simpler, but I'm suggesting mine because, in yours, it's easier to get a lucky/miraculous roll. The reason it's considered miraculous/tragic in the first place is because the chance is only 1 out of a 100, not 1 out of 30 or 1 out of 5, which makes it really uncommon, and thus, special.

You know, maybe we ought to standardize a roll system after all. It would save us a lot of debating.
Back to top Go down
Krug

Krug

PostSubject: Re: New rolling system?   New rolling system? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 1:03 am

Rolling makes my head hurt. But then again I've not been in any fighting for so long I think I've forgotten how to do that too.

I just think rolling would make RP a whole lot less cinematic and enjoyable to both do and watch and turn it into mathematical "Right, so I want to do this... and my stat is... this...", followed of course by !roll after !roll.
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New rolling system?   New rolling system? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 2:51 am

Oh, Krug, don't be silly.

People often think rolls make you less creative somehow because you're having the answers. In reality, roleplayers are forced to conform to the rolls, and find a creative way to answer them, even the most difficult of rolls. Let's say a complete novice, somehow, miraculously bests an expert swordsman in a match. The chances of this are so low, it's not even funny. Given the rules, you have to try and figure out how, and why, this happened.

Here's a non-combat scenario: Someone who's normally very adept at magic ends up utterly failing a roll when he tries to do something as trivial as re-color a shirt. But he's a powerful mage, still, and doesn't just 'mess up,' so then we roll to see how badly he messes up. Let's say we get a 6/6 on how bad he messes up. You could then propose that he actually missed focusing on the shirt, and ended up focusing on, say, the room, and suddenly, the entire room, and building for that matter, get recolored into the intended color.

Or some other zany stuff like that.

As for battles losing their cinematic feel, they really don't change the fact that you get to emote your moves, decide them, and depict how they appear. It just helps decide the battle, is all, with some chance for randomness.

Back to top Go down
Rutabega
Rutabega

PostSubject: Re: New rolling system?   New rolling system? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 9:44 am

I myself can see where rolls can be handy, I recal one event we did where abes hijacked a ship in port and a bunch of surnans ran in to fight them, we ended up doing the entire event with rolls just for fun, even if we weren`t doing it properly, instead resortin to whoever rolls highest wins the course of events.

That said I don`t think things like rolls and stats should be employed as a basis to which every character and member is bound to for various reasons, one of which is as Kain pointed out.

Quote :
this is Roleplay, not Roleplaying Game

While I think the use of the dice would be cool in perhaps a custom DnD gmod script, I just dont see it as something we can apply to a roleplay community such as this since many members didnt sign on for dungeons and dragons, they signed on for free and unrestricted roleplay.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Munroe

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: New rolling system?   New rolling system? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 4:16 pm

For a third time, I'm not "applying" this to anything, or binding anyone. It's just something you can do if you wanted to. I might still fight with simple /mes, like I always do. But if someone wanted to do a roll fight, here's a good way to do it realistically.

And what Kain's saying is also correct. It's a real test of RPing ability, and a much more fun way to do fights, in my opinion. Because if you get a high roll and totally kick someone's ass, you don't have to deal with whining or arguing or your own guilt. You won fair and square, and ass was kicked. Even getting low rolls is fun because it breaks up the monotony and opens up RPing possibilities if you acquire injuries.
Back to top Go down
PuPeT-KaI

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: New rolling system?   New rolling system? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 5:09 pm

Typing in a ton of shit during fights is not fun, at all, so why make it more complex? 'Cause a few people would enjoy it?
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Munroe

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: New rolling system?   New rolling system? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 6:36 pm

You don't have to do it. Good god, does anyone here pay attention?
Back to top Go down
PuPeT-KaI

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: New rolling system?   New rolling system? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 8:37 pm

Munroe wrote:
You don't have to do it. Good god, does anyone here pay attention?

Not saying we have to, saying the majority of Olden that does not play DnD, or just alluva us lazy-asses, will not enjoy having some stupid, complex rolling system compared to the simple to use one we have already.
Back to top Go down
Phry

Phry

Character sheet
Name:
Race: Human

PostSubject: Re: New rolling system?   New rolling system? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 11:49 am

Actually, for those of us who object to even using the rolling system at all this is pretty arduous. As it is, the rolling system annoys me because people can't really suss out it by themselves. Every aspect of their RP becomes dependant on the roll system, and it pretty much gets forced on you, there isn't really a 'oh, i don't want to use it in my RP' becuase they're going to regardless.

It's just stupid business, and it causes some retarded things, like digging into the Inn and finding treasure and the deeds to things. It advocates bad RP, and i don't really think it needs to be 'improved' as it were, rather, removed.

But hey, that's just my opinion, isn't going to change much.
Back to top Go down
Zaku350

Zaku350

Character sheet
Name: Zaku Daikun
Race: ---

PostSubject: Re: New rolling system?   New rolling system? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 1:13 pm

You don't have to use it.

Implement it for those who want to.

End of. It's entirely optional.
Back to top Go down
Dama Oscura

Dama Oscura

PostSubject: Re: New rolling system?   New rolling system? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 1:49 pm

How in hell is rolling affecting anything RP wise? If someone's using it to powergame or simply do bad RP ( How does a random number affect this, god knows ), they would do so too without the roll anyway! Just complain to an admin and don't blame it on a feature within the script like it is haunted or something.

Like honestly, frick, you are being given a system to AVOID DRAMA by not having to directly rely on someone else's trust to do stuff but rather rely on a much more fair and impartial system, and you whine.

I say screw everyone else, implement this. They don't want it? They don't need to use it.

PuPeT-KaI wrote:

Not saying we have to, saying the majority of Olden that does not play DnD, or just alluva us lazy-asses, will not enjoy having some stupid, complex rolling system compared to the simple to use one we have already.

IT'S THE SAME SYNTAX. Only the formula changes, for the end user, it's just !roll. Crap like skill based rolls can be put into some character sheet, for easy use, it can be scripted in in such a way that you can opt out of it completely.
Back to top Go down
Pat
Loremaster
Pat

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: New rolling system?   New rolling system? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 4:46 pm

In my experience, rolling streamlines combat incredibly--whereas debates could occur over some attack being successful or not(believe me, this has happened disturbingly often, and it ruins RP), this allows a simple, easy way to decide what happens, end of story. However, the problem has always been that the numbers are completely random. While it's quite possible, a very experienced user of *insert skill here* is much less likely to fail as bad as rolling a one would imply than one that is not experienced.

This system would fix that issue, and take skill into consideration. I'd support any efforts to implement this in the script.
Back to top Go down
Psycheandromida
He Who Wears Sunglasses at Night
Psycheandromida

PostSubject: Re: New rolling system?   New rolling system? Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 8:14 pm

Now my opinion of this is all conflicted. I like the idea and want to use it, but I originally didn't like it because I felt it makes combat complicated, which it does, but it's a good trade-off for less dumpy emo/badass wannabes dodging everything.

I don't fight often, but when I do, I like some consistency.
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: New rolling system?   New rolling system? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 10:39 am

Psycheandromida wrote:

New rolling system? The_most_interesting_man_in_the_world
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New rolling system?   New rolling system? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 11:16 am

Kain wrote:
Psycheandromida wrote:

New rolling system? The_most_interesting_man_in_the_world

He looks like he just saw the Ark of the Covenant!

It sounds solid to me, you should roll with it.

A lot of people might think it's a dicey concept, but it's an easy way to settle disputes and then things can keep rolling along smoothly.

I'd comment a bit more, but I have a d8 I need to go on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New rolling system?   New rolling system? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New rolling system?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next