Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

lolDnD

Go down 
+13
Hyperiant
Mikoel
Psycheandromida
Reager
Zaku
Dragon
thorogoodd
Munroe
Markka
RipTheHorizon
Krug
themodtester
Kain
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mikoel

Mikoel

lolDnD - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: lolDnD   lolDnD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 6:12 pm

I'm not gonna be a dick and say OH MAN FUCKIN DND IS TOTAL SHIT, because I'd be lying and stuff so yeh.

But when it comes to RP, keep it separate.
Back to top Go down
Hyperiant

Hyperiant

lolDnD - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: lolDnD   lolDnD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 6:13 pm

I'm all for a system. The bare, bare, bare, bare minimum d20 system. Not DnD--no rulebooks, no defined skills, skill points, classes, stats, attributes, anything. Just text and a d20. Assume anything below 5 is a fail, 6-10 is average/below average, 11-15 is above-average, 16-20 is success at a difficult task.

** Character X attacks Character Y with a sword.
** User X rolls a 1d20 (6)
** Character Y is grazed.

** Character Y attacks Character X with a bow.
** User Y rolls a 1d20 (13)
User X [LOOC]: ow
** Character X takes a bolt in the arm.

Scale the die, not the DC. If you assume outcomes of 1 as the success a newborn would have at a task and outcomes of 20 to be the maximum potential your character could reasonably possess (i.e., rolling a 20 to forge armor is a fail for a 6-year-old who has never done it before, but rolling a 6 for a master would give results, if crappy), this eliminates the need for complex systems and puts all actions back to mostly RPing, but still provides the desired random occurrences.

In essence, the DC is constant but the die scales based on common sense. This system is effective and I use it often in my personal RPs. It would make things a lot simpler here.
Back to top Go down
RipTheHorizon

RipTheHorizon

lolDnD - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: lolDnD   lolDnD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 6:28 pm

The problem with such systems is new players having to learn and immerse themselves in them. It's best to just keep roleplay at emotes. And if a conflict should arise and both parties agree on a special system on how to solve it, whether it involve a real-life knife fight or the rolling of dice, it's just great that they can get along.
Back to top Go down
Hyperiant

Hyperiant

lolDnD - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: lolDnD   lolDnD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 6:31 pm

RipTheHorizon wrote:
The problem with such systems is new players having to learn and immerse themselves in them. It's best to just keep roleplay at emotes. And if a conflict should arise and both parties agree on a special system on how to solve it, whether it involve a real-life knife fight or the rolling of dice, it's just great that they can get along.
I agree that this would normally be a problem, but when the system can be condensed down to "low is fail, high is succeed, roll 1d20" I'm not really worried about complexity.
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet
Name: Kain Redwell
Race: Human (?)

lolDnD - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: lolDnD   lolDnD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 6:38 pm

eh

i got serious about tryin to make it work, got mad that most of the complaints, got tired of trying to make it work.

now, i don't care enough to bother.

i'm gonna stop using dnd, stop rolling, stop blah blah blah. it was never necessary before, we just used it to make our fights fair and have a system for progressing.

now, i just don't give enough of a shit to make it work, so, ill stop trying to make it work.
Back to top Go down
Dama Oscura

Dama Oscura

lolDnD - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: lolDnD   lolDnD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 6:43 pm

script it in.

like, seriously, why not script a fighting system in? the computer is the fairest of all referees. make it flexible enough for RP, it shouldn't be too hard just making a very barebones one from scratch.
Back to top Go down
Hyperiant

Hyperiant

lolDnD - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: lolDnD   lolDnD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 6:45 pm

Dama Oscura wrote:
script it in.

like, seriously, why not script a fighting system in? the computer is the fairest of all referees. make it flexible enough for RP, it shouldn't be too hard just making a very barebones one from scratch.
A fighting system could be in order. That would be great, actually.

just not dnd
Back to top Go down
RipTheHorizon

RipTheHorizon

lolDnD - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: lolDnD   lolDnD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 6:48 pm

That's forcing it on people though, which is what people don't want. I don't really see the problem with having the bare minimum being /emotes with common sense, and then you can agree on specialized solutions with other people.
Back to top Go down
ViralHatred
Radiation Moderator
ViralHatred

lolDnD - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: lolDnD   lolDnD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 6:54 pm

I thought people already did rolls/discussions in SF when doing stuff anyway so they didn't accidentally pk each other.

I remember my first character ever on olden got accidentally pked because someone pushed me off a ledge and I died at the bottom of the town wall.
Back to top Go down
Http://www.Radiation-Roleplay.com
Dama Oscura

Dama Oscura

lolDnD - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: lolDnD   lolDnD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 6:54 pm

RipTheHorizon wrote:
That's forcing it on people though, which is what people don't want. I don't really see the problem with having the bare minimum being /emotes with common sense, and then you can agree on specialized solutions with other people.

or everyone has the option of using it or nobody does. that's how it should work.

the way it has worked on successful RP communities in Second Life (such thing exists btw), is that you can toggle off the system, if you don't wanna use it, therefore sticking you to a level 1 character. you level up as RP admins award you experience for posted RP notes, and each level merely gives you more variety, not really a way to overpower someone. but you must always have access to the system (in the case of SL, you must always have your combat meter on even if you're noncombat), and if you combat enabled you can't toggle it off during a fight, that's a bannable offence.

in practice, combat plays out as emote based, then into scripted combat to determine the winner. it doesn't detract from the RP, it simply adds depth to the game, a reason for people to keep playing, and a very, very fair way to determine outcomes in terms of battles.

ViralHatred wrote:
I thought people already did rolls/discussions in SF when doing stuff anyway so they didn't accidentally pk each other.

I remember my first character ever on olden got accidentally pked because someone pushed me off a ledge and I died at the bottom of the town wall.

only you can pk your own characters.
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet
Name: Kain Redwell
Race: Human (?)

lolDnD - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: lolDnD   lolDnD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 6:57 pm

i shall restate it:

i don't care about this anymore.

if someone else wants to take up the dice-rolling mantle, feel free. if i do dnd, it'll be by request only.

I will continue using my dnd sheet as a reference, but I'll probably be taking it off the char profile at some point and just use it for myself.

apologies to everyone who went along with the hunts, your sheets no longer have any real standing now. if you'd like to keep them, feel free.
Back to top Go down
Krug

Krug

lolDnD - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: lolDnD   lolDnD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 7:02 pm

No fighting system. God damn, just no.

SImply no.

No.
Back to top Go down
thorogoodd

thorogoodd

Character sheet
Name:

lolDnD - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: lolDnD   lolDnD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 8:06 pm

Why can't people just RP anymore? If you need to decide a random variable, use the already established 1-100 roll.
Back to top Go down
Zaku

Zaku

Character sheet
Name:

lolDnD - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: lolDnD   lolDnD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 10:10 pm

thorogoodd wrote:
Why can't people just RP anymore? If you need to decide a random variable, use the already established 1-100 roll.

^^^
Back to top Go down
Rutabega
Rutabega

lolDnD - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: lolDnD   lolDnD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 11:26 pm

Oh hey there. So, sorry about missing the whole discussion but work and shit.

I'd just like to note something I've noticed. When it comes to DnD, people seem quite fine to let people rp/fight however the hell they want so long as they're not forced to abide by those rules (which they aren't). It seems to me the core issue is the rewards that DnD brings about since while none of us are made to conform to DnD if we don't want to we're all forced to indirectly conform due to DnD's reward system, as Reager pointed out. Another thing I noticed in the Alec thread is -all- of the complaints at their core were directed towards the DnD reward system. I'd like to say I have no problem with people doing what Pysche said, having DnD as a little minigame. However we would somehow need to deal with the reward/experience/scaling system if this was the case.
Back to top Go down
Dragon

Dragon

Character sheet
Name: Evangeline Melwasúl
Race: Half-Elf

lolDnD - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: lolDnD   lolDnD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 08, 2012 11:41 pm

Make currency server-based then. Load a few characters who are shop owners with cash and allow salaries to those who actually work. It's going to be a pain, but without it people can asspull money, or just say they killed something and sold it. My new character went from barely having 50 shillings to having over 2000 just because of a few couple hour-long DnD sessions.
Back to top Go down
Pat
Loremaster
Pat

Character sheet
Name:

lolDnD - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: lolDnD   lolDnD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 12:31 am

Dragon wrote:
Make currency server-based then. Load a few characters who are shop owners with cash and allow salaries to those who actually work. It's going to be a pain, but without it people can asspull money, or just say they killed something and sold it. My new character went from barely having 50 shillings to having over 2000 just because of a few couple hour-long DnD sessions.

It sort've already is. People are supposed to use the inserver shillings for any transactions. Lack of shillings can be fixed by going after bounties, accepting merc contracts, or simply finding some sort of job. Which people would hopefully pay you for the usefulness of what you provide.

Back to top Go down
ViralHatred
Radiation Moderator
ViralHatred

lolDnD - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: lolDnD   lolDnD - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 3:14 am

Dama Oscura wrote:
only you can pk your own characters.

I'm talking like two years ago. One of the admins called it.
Back to top Go down
Http://www.Radiation-Roleplay.com
Sponsored content

lolDnD - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: lolDnD   lolDnD - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

lolDnD
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Olden Roleplay :: OOC Chat :: General Discussion-
Jump to: