Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Autoplaying.

Go down 
+8
Kain
Krug
Mack
ViralHatred
thorogoodd
Reager
themodtester
Markka
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Markka
Markka

Character sheet
Name: Mirage Silverspine
Race: Human

Autoplaying. Empty
PostSubject: Autoplaying.   Autoplaying. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 1:06 pm

To begin with, I'd like to express my regrets of having to give a ban to Mack and Munroe. We very rarely issue any kinds of bans on the forums for nearly anything the users might do. I also understand your motivation behind attempting to prove your point with the autoplay bombing. However at the same time I severely condemn your approach. The obnoxiously loud videos playing at the same time could potentially cause real, no kidding, no fantasy, ear damage to anyone who visited the thread in question. That is where a line has to be drawn, no matter how valiant one's effort or cause may be or even if it was a "joke". I see nothing to be defended in this offensive approach.

With that said, I'd like to invite discussion about the issue with autoplaying videos. My own stance is that autoplaying is approvable in character threads as themes, by the author provided that the video can be stopped at any given time by the viewer and that the video is of good taste. Lore pages may also be considered an exception. Elsewhere it seems unnecessary. This does not extend to autoplay videos that could be considered earrape or videos that contain malicious, offensive content.
We've had autoplaying going on for more than two years and I don't see how it is an issue for as long as it remains within the boundaries of reason and good taste.
Back to top Go down
themodtester

themodtester

Character sheet
Name:

Autoplaying. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autoplaying.   Autoplaying. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 1:08 pm

Fairly valid points, I've no issue with this as long as it remains within character themes and whatnot, that's the only thing.
Back to top Go down
Reager

Reager

Autoplaying. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autoplaying.   Autoplaying. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 1:10 pm

Autoplay is a very useful tool to help someone feel immersed in your character's theme upon diving into the thread. I think it should always remain open to the author to have the choice of autoplaying or not. I've never heard of any issue with autoplay being a problem, aside from people purposely using it to destroy people's ears rather recently, ahem.
Back to top Go down
thorogoodd

thorogoodd

Character sheet
Name:

Autoplaying. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autoplaying.   Autoplaying. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 1:12 pm

Ear damage is a serious thing and I'm extremely upset to have heard about this earrape.

You do not want to loose your hearing, hearing aids are 7000 dollars each, if they're good ones.

I agree with Markka's move to make autoplay allowed and not at all the basis for a deny in character pages.
Back to top Go down
Reager

Reager

Autoplaying. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autoplaying.   Autoplaying. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 1:13 pm

Thoro would know about ear damage, it is a serious issue.
Especially when his microphone echoes so loudly cause he has it on the maximum volume!

Also, I'd consider second time offenders of purposeful earrape a month ban just for the sake of keeping idiots out.
Back to top Go down
themodtester

themodtester

Character sheet
Name:

Autoplaying. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autoplaying.   Autoplaying. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 1:24 pm

It also baffles me how people are actually bothered by something so trivial that it's not even funny, the author of the thread has the right to autoplay songs as long as it does not break any rules, be it written or unwritten, common sense ( earrape..) and whatnot, people should accept this and live with it, honestly.
Back to top Go down
ViralHatred
Radiation Moderator
ViralHatred

Autoplaying. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autoplaying.   Autoplaying. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 1:29 pm

I agree wholeheartedly markka.

So what are you going to do about it?
Back to top Go down
Http://www.Radiation-Roleplay.com
Mack
THE GLORY
Mack

Autoplaying. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autoplaying.   Autoplaying. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 1:37 pm

just because you've got low self-esteem and desperately need to validate your own presence on this earth does not mean you have to autoplay the music you chose for your character, in the extremely faint hope of someone going "oh my god this music is amazing you are a great person i love you XDDD" just so you can actually feel like you're worth a single drop of piss

for the love of all that is my fucking balls

Last edited by Mack on Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Krug

Krug

Autoplaying. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autoplaying.   Autoplaying. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 1:38 pm

Reager wrote:
Autoplay is a very useful tool to help someone feel immersed in your character's theme upon diving into the thread. I think it should always remain open to the author to have the choice of autoplaying or not. I've never heard of any issue with autoplay being a problem, aside from people purposely using it to destroy people's ears rather recently, ahem.

I'll always click it anyway. It's up to someone if they want to be immersed.

If you look at people's char pages as much as I do, sometimes you just want to quickly scan over a few. If you open loads of tabs, you get too much going on.

It's like forcing it. The authors choice of song should mean the most to him, and other people can listen to it then. To just shove it onto someone is questionable.
Back to top Go down
thorogoodd

thorogoodd

Character sheet
Name:

Autoplaying. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autoplaying.   Autoplaying. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 1:44 pm

Mack wrote:

just because you've got low self-esteem and desperately need to validate your own presence on this earth does not mean you have to autoplay the music you chose for your character, in the extremely faint hope of someone going "oh my god this music is amazing you are a great person i love you XDDD" just so you can actually feel like you're worth a single drop of piss

for the love of all that is my fucking balls

I wish this arguement was more mature, because I'd actually care about it.

On another note. Autoplay is fine, as long as it's not breaking any rules. The fact that you're so up-in-arms about such a stupid, and trivial part of the forums baffles me. As Alex said.
Back to top Go down
thorogoodd

thorogoodd

Character sheet
Name:

Autoplaying. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autoplaying.   Autoplaying. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 1:47 pm

Krug wrote:
Reager wrote:

I'll always click it anyway. It's up to someone if they want to be immersed.

If you look at people's char pages as much as I do, sometimes you just want to quickly scan over a few. If you open loads of tabs, you get too much going on.

It's like forcing it. The authors choice of song should mean the most to him, and other people can listen to it then. To just shove it onto someone is questionable.

Double post.

It's only really forced upon you if there's no pause button.
Back to top Go down
Krug

Krug

Autoplaying. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autoplaying.   Autoplaying. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 1:49 pm

thorogoodd wrote:
Double post.

It's only really forced upon you if there's no pause button.

No.

It's forced, then I click the pause button. I'd have to scan across many tabs if I had them open to pause them all.

Why not just make it optional?
Back to top Go down
Mack
THE GLORY
Mack

Autoplaying. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autoplaying.   Autoplaying. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 1:50 pm

i'm not up in arms.

you guys take any slight criticism as a crime against humanity. saying i dislike something that you people like is apparantly the exact same as murdering your entire family with chainsaw.
Back to top Go down
thorogoodd

thorogoodd

Character sheet
Name:

Autoplaying. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autoplaying.   Autoplaying. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 1:52 pm

Mack wrote:
i'm not up in arms.

you guys take any slight criticism as a crime against humanity. saying i dislike something that you people like is apparantly the exact same as murdering your entire family with chainsaw.

You don't have to criticize it in every post you make, or ear-rape people.

Potentially loosing your hearing is NOTHING to joke about. I'm not saying you're not allowed to have an opinion, but you don't have to be an asshole about it.
Back to top Go down
Mack
THE GLORY
Mack

Autoplaying. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autoplaying.   Autoplaying. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 1:57 pm

trying to argue with you guys is like trying to talk a dead horse back to life.

either you ignore any and all arguments and resort to spouting "ear rape" or other accusing terms in an attempt to avert any intelligent debate because you don't know how to properly defend your opinion.

long story short;

Back to top Go down
Krug

Krug

Autoplaying. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autoplaying.   Autoplaying. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 1:59 pm

You can't argue with optional, but you can argue with autoplay.

Speaks leagues. Page starter fuck yeah.
Back to top Go down
thorogoodd

thorogoodd

Character sheet
Name:

Autoplaying. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autoplaying.   Autoplaying. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 2:00 pm

I think potentially loosing your hearing is an extremely valid point. I don't see what you're arguing besides "uggh autoplay interrupts my music so I'm gonna spam non-closeable autoplay videos to exaggerate what's going on here".
Back to top Go down
Mack
THE GLORY
Mack

Autoplaying. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autoplaying.   Autoplaying. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 2:02 pm

thorogoodd wrote:
I think potentially loosing your hearing is an extremely valid point. I don't see what you're arguing besides "uggh autoplay interrupts my music so I'm gonna spam non-closeable autoplay videos to exaggerate what's going on here".

stop getting caught up on that, jesus christ. it was a message to get through to you people, the only fucking way i might add.
you're doing the exact thing i just described, you're ignoring any valid points that have been brought up and just shouting "EEARRAPPEEE, HEARRING LOOOSSSS"
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet
Name: Kain Redwell
Race: Human (?)

Autoplaying. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autoplaying.   Autoplaying. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 2:06 pm

There's also the option of placing [Warning: Autoplay] in your thread description, like I always do.
Back to top Go down
themodtester

themodtester

Character sheet
Name:

Autoplaying. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autoplaying.   Autoplaying. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 2:07 pm

Kain wrote:
There's also the option of placing [Warning: Autoplay] in your thread description, like I always do.
Good compromise.
Back to top Go down
thorogoodd

thorogoodd

Character sheet
Name:

Autoplaying. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autoplaying.   Autoplaying. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 2:09 pm

Mack wrote:
thorogoodd wrote:

stop getting caught up on that, jesus christ. it was a message to get through to you people, the only fucking way i might add.
you're doing the exact thing i just described, you're ignoring any valid points that have been brought up and just shouting "EEARRAPPEEE, HEARRING LOOOSSSS"

The reason I'm supposedly "ignoring all your valid points" and spewing "HEARING LOOOOOSSSS OH NO" is because I have hearing aids and it's a very serious issue to me. Please, if I'm ignoring so many of your points, please point the points out, the ones YOU'VE posted, not others, that I've ignored.
Back to top Go down
Mack
THE GLORY
Mack

Autoplaying. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autoplaying.   Autoplaying. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 2:12 pm

it's like trying to win a fist-fight against a solid brick wall my god
Back to top Go down
Markka
Markka

Character sheet
Name: Mirage Silverspine
Race: Human

Autoplaying. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autoplaying.   Autoplaying. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 2:14 pm

Besides your petty acting Mack, you're trying to open an eggshell with a shotgun by the looks of it. Like Thoro said, I'm not seeing very convincing arguments made against the fair use of autoplay.

Kain's suggestion is a very good one, though.

Last edited by Markka on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Krug

Krug

Autoplaying. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autoplaying.   Autoplaying. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 2:14 pm

Ain't nobody saying anything about just not making it autoplay. Aka, having the button there should you want to press it.
Back to top Go down
themodtester

themodtester

Character sheet
Name:

Autoplaying. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autoplaying.   Autoplaying. Icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 2:18 pm

Krug wrote:
Ain't nobody saying anything about just not making it autoplay. Aka, having the button there should you want to press it.

Or we can always set the line in the middle ground, so that both anti and pro autoplay are content.
A lá Kain
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Autoplaying. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Autoplaying.   Autoplaying. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Autoplaying.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next