Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"Mechanism"

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

"Mechanism" Empty
PostSubject: "Mechanism"   "Mechanism" Icon_minitimeThu Apr 29, 2010 10:26 pm

"Mechanism" Automail1

A new form of "limb replacement" if magic doesn't suit your needs. Specifically, when the limb is destroyed beyond reconstruction. Mechanist limbs were first created by the intelligent Gnomes, but was modified and made for humans and other races. They are connected to the nervous system and part of it is powered by the electrical current in the body via magic and control. More advanced "Combat Mechanist Limbs" require a battery of sorts to power them to their full extent. Most limbs are made from titanium alloys for their integrity, light encumbrance, and overall ability not to rust. A downside to the limb is that once added, it can not be reversed and the process to gain full control over the limb takes a maximum of four years. Not only does it take time to adapt to the technology, the surgery required can be risky. On top of the downsides, is the maintenance. Monthly disconnecting, oiling and cleaning, then reconnecting to the body is quite painful. Once gained and in control, the hydraulic power of the limbs are quite powerful and can be modded for the specific race. All of this relies on the overall skill of the mechanic making and connecting the limb. If the mechanic is a master, your results will be great.

Last edited by Gambit on Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm161/v4v_bucket2/12325130553
Munroe
DEAR GOD DON'T LOOK IN HIS EYES
Munroe

Character sheet
Name:

"Mechanism" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Mechanism"   "Mechanism" Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 12:55 am

I know gnomes are supposedly pretty advanced, but I think something like this is beyond even their capabilities. An interface between the human nervous system and a machine is something that was not mastered until recently, in our time period. Not to mention the miraculous mechanics that mimic not just human movement, but other races'? That's hundreds of years ahead of Olden's technology.

A "golem" type arm, more magic-based and less technology-based, is more conceivable.
Back to top Go down

"Mechanism" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Mechanism"   "Mechanism" Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 1:07 am

That's WAY too advanced. I disapprove of this greatly, because personally, I don't want another cocky, powergaming Peter Gusev running around. Gnomes are advanced, but this takes it to another level.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

"Mechanism" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Mechanism"   "Mechanism" Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 1:11 am

It is made with magic, Christ, what is this the sci-fi realm. Put two and two together.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Munroe

Character sheet
Name:

"Mechanism" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Mechanism"   "Mechanism" Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 1:15 am

There is nothing in the current post that suggests it's made with magic.

Quote :
A new form of "limb replacement" if magic doesn't suit your needs,

Quote :
They are connected to the nervous system and part of it is powered by the electrical current in the body. More advanced "Combat Mechanist Limbs" require a battery of sorts to power them to their full extent.

Quote :
Not only does it take time to adapt to the technology, the surgery required can be risky.

Quote :
On top of the downsides, is the maintenance. Monthly disconnecting, oiling and cleaning, then reconnecting to the body is quite painful. Once gained and in control, the hydraulic power of the limbs are quite powerful and can be modded for the specific race. All of this relies on the overall skill of the mechanic making and connecting the limb. If the mechanic is a master, your results will be great.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

"Mechanism" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Mechanism"   "Mechanism" Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 1:18 am

Whatever. If we can't connect some dots. Not worth it.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Munroe

Character sheet
Name:

"Mechanism" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Mechanism"   "Mechanism" Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 1:25 am

Calm down, just make it a little more clear and fitting with the lore. If it has the strength of a normal arm of the race it's attached to, I'll eagerly accept.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

"Mechanism" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Mechanism"   "Mechanism" Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 1:32 am

Munroe wrote:
If it has the strength of a normal arm of the race it's attached to, I'll eagerly accept.

That is what it means already. "Modded for the specific race". So if a dragon born needed a new arm, the hydraulic would be changed out. There are natural limits already on a body that restrict one from over modding anyways, the natural electricity. Changed a line or two to make you happy.

Edit: Batteries can be seen as a chunk on metal that is enchanted to give off a specific amount of electric magic. Nobody has the skills to even do this properly.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Munroe

Character sheet
Name:

"Mechanism" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Mechanism"   "Mechanism" Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 1:40 am

Well, if it means what you say it means, I'll accept. Next time, try to be a little more descriptive, and patient when answering people's questions.
Back to top Go down
Rutabega
Rutabega

"Mechanism" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Mechanism"   "Mechanism" Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 1:56 am

I've gotta think on it. The words "Peter Gusev." just keep repeating in my head again and again, even if it is different lore-wise from his shit.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

"Mechanism" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Mechanism"   "Mechanism" Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 2:06 am

Who the fuck is Peter and why does he keep getting mentioned
Back to top Go down
Rutabega
Rutabega

"Mechanism" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Mechanism"   "Mechanism" Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 2:17 am

Peter Gusev was originally a LT in the guard long with Thorn. He ended up having one of his legs blown off on the job and it was replaced by a mechanical leg which he apped for. He left the community and returned later, except this time Peter was a fucking cyborg, total mechanical with the hugest bullshit like a jetpack and a wristmounted machinegun. Only quite a bit later did we figure out he never apped for it, after sifting through both forums in any section an app may be in. Not only that he had a "badass complex" where he fucking tried to one up Thorn (bear in mind this is during Prophet plot) in everything, from drinking barrels of everclear and not being phased due to w/er bullshit reason he had to fighting Thorn if he even saw him just walking down the street. Not only that he went to lengths of powergame and raging to a mind boggling degree when things didn't go his way in fights. Eventually I get fed up with his shit and decided to sift through the forums and talk to the people that accepted apps, finally finding out he never apped for any of his shit. He was soon after perma banned for excessive powergame and not apping for his shit. Not too long after that he made the famous original facepunch thread out of spite from being banned due to his horrible rp and shitty behavior. It all started out with one rusted, primitive mechanical leg.

The end.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

"Mechanism" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Mechanism"   "Mechanism" Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 2:24 am

Yeah ah, that isn't going to happen. Blades may be attached/modified onto the arms/legs but not machine guns and jet packs. lolol

Edit: maybe even a crossbow but not a machine gun lolol
Back to top Go down
Rutabega
Rutabega

"Mechanism" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Mechanism"   "Mechanism" Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 2:29 am

Yes, aware of that. Though I just keep remembering how all that started off with a simple rusty leg. Shall think on it.
Back to top Go down
Phry

Phry

Character sheet
Name:
Race: Human

"Mechanism" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Mechanism"   "Mechanism" Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 8:29 am

I don't like this at all really. Olden is Olden, the less guns, robotic cyborgs, and lasers there is, the better.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

"Mechanism" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Mechanism"   "Mechanism" Icon_minitimeFri Apr 30, 2010 8:35 am

Phry wrote:
I don't like this at all really. Olden is Olden, the less guns, robotic cyborgs, and lasers there is, the better.

Nobody said anything about guns, cyborgs, and lasers. This is steampunk and magic.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

"Mechanism" Empty
PostSubject: Re: "Mechanism"   "Mechanism" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"Mechanism"
Page 1 of 1