Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Overpowered chars /rant

Go down 
+3
GeoWulf
Munroe
Prone_To_Death18
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Prone_To_Death18

Character sheet
Name: Haetire
Race: Drow

Overpowered chars /rant Empty
PostSubject: Overpowered chars /rant   Overpowered chars /rant Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 9:57 pm

Quote :
Overpowered: to furnish or equip with excessive power: a giant motor that overpowered the pump.

Let's talk about overpowered characters, and the kinds of effect they have on RP overall. Now in this case, we will be defining a overpowered character as one who has an excessive amount of power, to the point that they become nigh unbeatable. This extends to characters who have "Weaknesses" that come in the form of some obscure and impossible to figure out without meta gaming weakness. E.G., you can only defeat them if your feet are smeared in peanut butter and your wearing shoes on the wrong feet.

Moving on.

What overpowered chars do, to a community, a story, an overall scheme, is make everyone else the equivalent of an NPC in a DnD campaign. But, unlike DnD, there is no game master that can say when a NPC can overpower the PC, who is in this case the ubercharacter. So the NPC's are completely at the will of the OP characters (Op being shorthand for Overpowered).

)This is my personal most hated bit about OP chars, as an aside)

Let's do a little skit, to show how:

Actors:
Overpowered Char
Non-Overpowered Char

-Overpowered char is spouting some philosophy or another-
Non-Overpowered Char: I disagree with what your saying...I think your wrong.
-OP Char proceeds to beat the ever loving snot out of the Non-OP, the only reason the non-OP being non-PKed being admin intervention and rules of the server.-

Alternativly:

-OP char is preforming an action that is detrimental/hurtful/annoying to a non-op-
-Non-op tries to stop the action from happening, in this case by intervening.-
-Op char proceeds to beat the ever loving etc etc AND OR ignore them/laugh them off/ignore them while laughing at them.-

Now, you might say 'But that can't happen!" Well, guess what, it does and has. To me personally, and I'm sure other people have run into it as well.

Another example of the problem Op chars create is the events. Because the minute an op char enters into an event situation, it stops being for everyone, and starts being about the OP char. An example as follows:

-A major crisis hit's the town. A swarm of orcs/goblins/angry midgets is quickly approaching. The normals/NPC's/NPC Guards wait with baited breath, clutching their weapons tight, thinking of their homes, their families. They see the enemy soldiers/things approaching, and prepare themselves...-
-Op char shows up, kills everything that doesn't believe in the same concepts they do, event and tension and all RP becoming moot and over with.-

Who HASN'T seen this happen? We all watched a tank get uberpwned by a couple of crazy strong characters while the rest of us were trying to RP a realistic reaction to seeing this strange ass thing coming down the road towards us with the intent to kill us. (My feeling about every single freakin' char brushing off every event as "No biggy" is a separate issue.)

Overpowered characters also make it so that the admins come up with overpowered villains/event's to fight them. This is because of one main reason:

Any villain not overpowered will simply be wiped out by the OP char within five minutes of it's introduction. Meaning we dont get mountain bandits or mortal invading armies, we get crazy ass super-prophets and demons armies, etc.

And what chance does a normal char have of actually affecting the outcome of these events? I'm not sure since every time I try to get into an event I'm blocked for this that or the other reason (usually having to do wit the fact that I'm not an "established" player, this being yet another rant subject.)

Anyway, I think that's the end of the rant, the whole point of it being to hopefully get the community to discuss the issue, and to put out my feelings on it. Post whether you disagree/don't disagree, but don't troll with stupid and non-related post.

/rant
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overpowered chars /rant   Overpowered chars /rant Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 10:52 pm

Quote :
And what chance does a normal char have of actually affecting the outcome of these events? I'm not sure since every time I try to get into an event I'm blocked for this that or the other reason (usually having to do wit the fact that I'm not an "established" player, this being yet another rant subject.)

In regards to that I'd like to say this is not totally accurate. Most of the ''established'' characters that you speak of are established because they entered a large event, Donixs is the perfect example. Anyone should be welcome to join in any event, if someone refuses to let you in for whatever reason that's an error on their part, it's not the way things are meant to be done here.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
DEAR GOD DON'T LOOK IN HIS EYES
Munroe

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Overpowered chars /rant   Overpowered chars /rant Icon_minitimeMon Apr 13, 2009 11:44 pm

I strongly agree. I've seen all of these scenarios happen, not just here, but on a variety of other servers. I don't like it one bit.

I don't care what amount of "IC justification" or "establishment" there is; it's not fair, and it's not fun. It's the equivalent of having a bully in an RP universe. A big, tough character who pushes you around and you're powerless to stop - no matter what they do, or who they hurt, they'll have their way.
Back to top Go down
GeoWulf
Banned, somehow.

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Overpowered chars /rant   Overpowered chars /rant Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 12:59 am

Prone, I know you weren't included from Cyric's ball event and you got a bit sadsad about it, but it's a DAMN good thing you didn't go because Geno got fucked over SO bad.

Literally.
Back to top Go down
Lord-Vorn

Lord-Vorn

Character sheet
Name: John Vorn
Race: Human

PostSubject: Re: Overpowered chars /rant   Overpowered chars /rant Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 3:25 am

Usually Ill refuse to roleplay with a powergamer if they prove themselves one....I can always find better rp'ers than them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overpowered chars /rant   Overpowered chars /rant Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 7:43 am

Lord-Vorn wrote:
Usually Ill refuse to roleplay with a powergamer if they prove themselves one....I can always find better rp'ers than them.

Good point. But what if there's only about three or four good RPers and they're all off roleplaying something off their own?
Back to top Go down
Prone_To_Death18

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Overpowered chars /rant   Overpowered chars /rant Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 7:49 am

Munroe wrote:
I strongly agree. I've seen all of these scenarios happen, not just here, but on a variety of other servers. I don't like it one bit.

I don't care what amount of "IC justification" or "establishment" there is; it's not fair, and it's not fun. It's the equivalent of having a bully in an RP universe. A big, tough character who pushes you around and you're powerless to stop - no matter what they do, or who they hurt, they'll have their way.

You've summed up my feelings on the argument that "establishment" somehow gives a character the right to overpower other peoples roleplay.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overpowered chars /rant   Overpowered chars /rant Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 7:53 am

Establishment and roleplaying goes hand in hand. People would rather not roleplay with the new guy when you've got the same old trusted friends that you know and RP with all the time. That's why new players have it very hard around most RP communities.
I don't like it either. But hell. What're you gonna do? Shoot everyone who gets to know more than three people in the community? Could be a solution. But I think that might bring up some legal issues.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overpowered chars /rant   Overpowered chars /rant Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 7:55 am

I always roleplay with the new people but 80% of them don't know how to roleplay and end up fail rping.
Vorn knows that I Rped with him when he joined I think... *shrugs*
Then comes emopuppy... Really all others though didn't know how to RP but I was gladly to link them to this site and tried teaching them but most of them refuse to do so and left or minged.

Aso this whole overpowering thing
Its mostly an opinion you can say Thorn.. Well IDK but Possibilties THorn SHOULD have a weakness greatly and be used to the person advantages.... All characters should have one...
Varmithas did...
Matagi did...
Alexander does and almost died because of Alienor for that.. And he still has multiple weaknesses but usually people don't say it out in OOCLY because THEY ABUSE it greatly and just try to fight them and kill them like that.
Pretty sure that no one is Oped if they took the time to understand the character and figure out key-points rather than sit there ranting on their character saying overpowered and try to fight them and kill them Smile hehehe....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overpowered chars /rant   Overpowered chars /rant Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 8:02 am

Problem here is tolerance and respect of others. Most people flock to fantasy RP because they want a break from the harsh reality, often in the form of a second virtual life. And so, in this virtual life, they want to be the biggest, baddest, sexiest and richest motha'fucka' there is. And then, when someone creates a new power for their character, someone counters with an even BETTER power, and then someone counters with an EVEN BETTER power. And so the evil circle begins.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overpowered chars /rant   Overpowered chars /rant Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 8:05 am

*shrugs* Rather hard now making powerful characters if I read correctly....
The whole "evil circle" is being halted at the moment and everyone is what they still have and got...
I just rp now on my Jeff Siphon a lot more... Then again somehow he ended up almost fighting a friggen werewolf and being eaten alive...

Hrmmm and I think your going pull out a card that I'm going see soon later on this topic..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overpowered chars /rant   Overpowered chars /rant Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 8:11 am

The problem isn't the players. Actually. If you look at the statistics, most overpowered characters belong to the ADMINS. Which brings us back to the establishment question. The longer you've been around, and the more people like you, the more you can overpower your character. Admins are people too. They make mistakes. Sometimes, they make huger mistakes than the players due to their powers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overpowered chars /rant   Overpowered chars /rant Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 8:26 am

True true... Admins of course do have the overpowered characters than again it is required that they some.. Well I don't know I don't think they kinda deserve it... And I guess it is favourtism.. *Shrugs*
I Don't know really... I would say they deserve it if they use it the right way killing .. Well... Hrmmm
I guess it is unfair because they can kill our characters off if we take a wrong step...
They do get the powerful characters as we try to work our way up then again if we work ours up to high they can easily destroy them...
*Shrugs*
Power hunger..
A deadly thing for the roleplaying communities...

Last edited by Drakeson on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GeoWulf
Banned, somehow.

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Overpowered chars /rant   Overpowered chars /rant Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 8:27 am

Which is ironic because I personally HATE being overpowerful. I despise using magic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overpowered chars /rant   Overpowered chars /rant Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 8:32 am

I usually just make characters like (Siphon Stukov) to be roleplaying myself... And also a chance that I can play around and increase my roleplaying skills... *Shrugs* I always do take opinions...
But really... Overpowering characters.... Gods are killable so to speak and heard from head admins but you have to find their weakness.. Everyones killable... Just really hard to die... And stay dead.... Really no one stays dead if you think about it.... Because now I heard someone going revive Varmithas... Which.. Is random might I say....
*Shrugs* Well don't know anymore *Watches the topic*
Back to top Go down
Lord-Vorn

Lord-Vorn

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Overpowered chars /rant   Overpowered chars /rant Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 9:18 am

GeoWulf wrote:
Which is ironic because I personally HATE being overpowerful. I despise using magic.

Pffff, Who needs magic anyway. The problem with magic is it is so Versatile, and so You can basically make up magic to do anything at all, which is just asking for trouble.
Powergamers are merely compensating for things. It tires me out when people just presume their magic can rip you apart whatever you are.
All you need is a basic weapon, Magic infused weapons bring on powergaming and powergaming brings on tear-shed.

Rant is Now over.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overpowered chars /rant   Overpowered chars /rant Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 9:54 am

Lord-Vorn wrote:
GeoWulf wrote:

Pffff, Who needs magic anyway. The problem with magic is it is so Versatile, and so You can basically make up magic to do anything at all, which is just asking for trouble.
Powergamers are merely compensating for things. It tires me out when people just presume their magic can rip you apart whatever you are.
All you need is a basic weapon, Magic infused weapons bring on powergaming and powergaming brings on tear-shed.

Rant is Now over.....

*ahem*

-Hopefully- the spellplague will fix that. (or atleast mostly)

Aren't most magic users supposed to be physicly weaker than other mortals? Although that's only true for -one- of my characters. *cough Richard cough* (but he's still strong enough to smack the shit out of an average strengthed robber or w/e)

Spells are -supposed- to take longer to cast than it is to simply load an arrow into a bow and fire. You have to actually focus and weave the spell, and depending on wether or not the spell is homing onto it's target, it should be slightly innacurate. (in means of if the targets jumps out of the way)

Now uh, onto others OP things.

I've heard of characters "magically" stopping bullets or jumping out of the way when they're like, 5 feet away. Is this even possible? Unless you're fast enough to bring up a kenetic shield of some sort just before the trigger is pulled, there's no way to do said thing... (unless ofcoarse you're like, demi-god/faster than that) Seriously, what kind of creature, let alone human, fast enough to dodge a bullet? (ESPECIALLY AT POINT BLANK RANGE!!!) I don't think even Vampires are that fast... Or are they? (well I know they were in Blade, but that's a movie, -not- a Fantasy RolePlay setting)

One last thing: WHEN THE FUCK IS THE SPELLPLAGUE TAKING EFFECT?!??![/reply]

[offtopic] I so wish my sister would hurry the fuck up and go on that bike ride with me... SHE NEEDS TO FUCKING GIVE ME THAT PLATE OF COOKIES/BROWNIES!!![/offtopic]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overpowered chars /rant   Overpowered chars /rant Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 10:06 am

Quote :

Aren't most magic users supposed to be physicly weaker than other mortals? Although that's only true for -one- of my characters. *cough Richard cough* (but he's still strong enough to smack the shit out of an average strengthed robber or w/e)

Contradict yourself much?

Quote :

Well spoken. This brings us back to the evil circle of powergaming.
Someone comes up with fire spells, someone comes up with water-shield spells.
Someone comes up with telekinesis, someone comes up with a magical armour that prevents telekinetic communication/manipulation.

Quote :

[offtopic] I so wish my sister would hurry the fuck up and go on that bike ride with me... SHE NEEDS TO FUCKING GIVE ME THAT PLATE OF COOKIES/BROWNIES!!![/offtopic]

CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR KEEWWWLL!111!!
*Screech* *CRASH*
You still have to steer, you halfwit.

Back on topic.

Basically. Only way to deal with the OPs would be something like, killing of all the overpowered characters and making applications VERY HARD to pass. And maybe limit the amounts of powered characters to one? And even then keep the powers to an average spell or something.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overpowered chars /rant   Overpowered chars /rant Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 10:13 am

Some Foreign Kid wrote:
*Screech* *CRASH*
You still have to steer, you halfwit.

LAIS!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overpowered chars /rant   Overpowered chars /rant Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 10:23 am

[quote="Mack"]
Quote :

Basically. Only way to deal with the OPs would be something like, killing of all the overpowered characters and making applications VERY HARD to pass. And maybe limit the amounts of powered characters to one? And even then keep the powers to an average spell or something.

Personally thats a problem.....
Everyones going state their opinions saying their overpowered no matter what you do to say they are not overpowered peoples opinion will say they are....
Like I remembered being told...
No matter how much you do to please that person..... You'll never please them at all...

Its pointless... You'll always have that single person complain and he will do anything it takes to prove that he is overpowered....

The point of making applications very hard to pass? What you mean very hard to pass? I have to make a 500% Well detailed story of a normal human?

Rest I might as well agree... But I question how hard is it to pass the Application from a simple persons history and such...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overpowered chars /rant   Overpowered chars /rant Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 10:32 am

What? What you're saying is that the overpowered characters will try to PROVE that they're overpowered, and thus have their characters killed? That doesn't make any sense.

And really, who cares what Mr. Player McPowergame cares about having his characters killed off? As long as Olden gets reverted from "that shitty powergame community" to "that fantasy-RP community I've heard good stuff about".

And what I mean by having applications harder to pass is, not any power will go, and you'll have to be a REALLY good mature RPer to get any powers at all. As I see it now. There's more applications in the accepted section than there are topics in the General Discussion and Off-topic forums COMBINED.

TL;DR:
** Applications need to be very detailed and good put, not just "omg liek i wunz be vampir lololol"
** All overpowered characters should be killed off with no mercy whatsoever. Even admins.
** All powers are limited to an average spell at the MOST.
Back to top Go down
Lord-Vorn

Lord-Vorn

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Overpowered chars /rant   Overpowered chars /rant Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 1:00 pm

You suggest an almighty purge?
Back to top Go down
Robert Neville

Robert Neville

Character sheet
Name: Ruarc
Race: Irish

PostSubject: Re: Overpowered chars /rant   Overpowered chars /rant Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 1:05 pm

Mack wrote:
What? What you're saying is that the overpowered characters will try to PROVE that they're overpowered, and thus have their characters killed? That doesn't make any sense.

And really, who cares what Mr. Player McPowergame cares about having his characters killed off? As long as Olden gets reverted from "that shitty powergame community" to "that fantasy-RP community I've heard good stuff about".

And what I mean by having applications harder to pass is, not any power will go, and you'll have to be a REALLY good mature RPer to get any powers at all. As I see it now. There's more applications in the accepted section than there are topics in the General Discussion and Off-topic forums COMBINED.

TL;DR:
** Applications need to be very detailed and good put, not just "omg liek i wunz be vampir lololol"
** All overpowered characters should be killed off with no mercy whatsoever. Even admins.
** All powers are limited to an average spell at the MOST.

You see, I brought that idea up and was even being backed up by a certain someone who knows who he is...
In response to my idea of killing off all OP characters, I was written off in Sting's book. So....apparently certain people can't handle a suggestion very well... at all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Overpowered chars /rant   Overpowered chars /rant Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 1:12 pm

In the end...
IF there is going be a mass purge..
Theres going be a mass purge of Olden RP Players...
Back to top Go down
Prone_To_Death18

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Overpowered chars /rant   Overpowered chars /rant Icon_minitimeTue Apr 14, 2009 1:17 pm

I think my problem is more that the over powered characters are used in every day situation, when they shouldn't be.

Imagine if superman was superman 24/7 and just hung out around town and still had his day job. but without restraining himself to the Clark Kent persona.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Overpowered chars /rant   Overpowered chars /rant Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Overpowered chars /rant
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next