Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion

Go down 
+3
TRUlyjuST
Pat
kamaitama
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kamaitama

kamaitama

Character sheet
Name: Naria Ordal
Race: Human

Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion   Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 4:13 pm

Yes.

Let's not limit roleplay by implementing a caste system. New people can be trusted with RPing what they want. If they prove to abuse it, let's just remove it.

It's an issue of trust, not hirearchy.

Quote :
Edited for better reference, since Kama's got the first post.
Vote HERE:
http://aeria.omgforum.net/polls-and-votes-f62/fresh-from-the-bakery-characters-should-they-be-allowed-apps-t1628.htm
and discuss in this current thread. GIVE FULL DETAIL ON YOUR THOUGHTS AND OPINION. IN THIS THREAD ONLY.

BE SURE TO VOTE.

-G
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion   Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 4:21 pm

I think I have to agree with Kam, although I do smile upon people with the humility to use the starter sets.
Back to top Go down
Pat
Loremaster
Pat

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion   Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 4:36 pm

To clarify, this would be ALL new characters, NOT new people
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion   Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 4:43 pm

kamaitama wrote:
Yes.

Let's not limit roleplay by implementing a caste system. New people can be trusted with RPing what they want. If they prove to abuse it, let's just remove it.

In the future could you please read through the entire thread, as it's clearly stated this is for new characters not new members. Thanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion   Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 5:02 pm

I voted no. Although, I have created applications for my new characters in the past, I'd rather get comfortable with my character, and allow other's to get comfortable with him/her.

Pat wrote:
As in, no vampires or werewolves from the start? Please detail your opinion.

Aren't we going to need a few IC vampires and werewolves so they could turn other people into their race? I've never seen a werewolf in the community.
Back to top Go down
kamaitama

kamaitama

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion   Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 5:39 pm

Rutabega wrote:
kamaitama wrote:
Yes.

In the future could you please read through the entire thread, as it's clearly stated this is for new characters not new members. Thanks.

Isn't it the same thing in the end?

And with characters, it makes even less sense to have everyone begin with nothing.

And for your information, I read the thread upon posting, after all, it was the first post. So before accusing me of ignorant, state facts.
Back to top Go down
TRUlyjuST

TRUlyjuST

Character sheet
Name:
Race: Golden Retriever

PostSubject: Re: Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion   Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 5:46 pm

kamaitama wrote:
Rutabega wrote:
kamaitama wrote:
Yes.

Isn't it the same thing in the end?

And with characters, it makes even less sense to have everyone begin with nothing.

And for your information, I read the thread upon posting, after all, it was the first post. So before accusing me of ignorant, state facts.

Actually, no. I still occasionally make a new character so they aren't the same things. All we want is opinions, that is all.
Back to top Go down
kamaitama

kamaitama

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion   Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 5:49 pm

TRUlyjuST wrote:

Actually, no. I still occasionally make a new character so they aren't the same things. All we want is opinions, that is all.

Then again, you wouldn't like to start over anew for this new char, you would like to have a character with certain skills so you can build a proper story with.

If it's not an issue of trust, then what is it? Why not allow new characters to app for new stuff? Humility? Come on, we're here to have fun not to work our way up. I say we give more priority on letting roleplay play nicely.
Back to top Go down
Pat
Loremaster
Pat

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion   Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 6:03 pm

Quote :
Come on, we're here to have fun not to work our way up. I say we give more priority on letting roleplay play nicely.

The problem is, several characters simply pop into existance that are extremely powerfull, do a few showy things, and then disapear--This is because there's really nothing to do with them. When I first started here in olden, which was day THREE, Zayl had almost nothing. One of the best parts was working your way up, getting experience--Gaining things through a gradual process of IC acquisition.

By not allowing brand new characters to apply for things instantly, it allows the buildup of a character, the character'll last longer-- Many, Many paper thin applied characters have been made and then dropped.

Infact, I personally find that the best way to create a character is to simply introduce a rough idea into the server--a name, a changeable past--and then form him into something you'll enjoy. It's what I did with Zayl, and it's half the reason why he didn't have a character page for so long--I created the backstory as I went along, working the kinks out, and eventually adding on to him through IC interactions.

Sorry if I started to ramble, hope some of my points make sense
Back to top Go down
kamaitama

kamaitama

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion   Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 6:51 pm

Pat wrote:
Quote :
Come on, we're here to have fun not to work our way up. I say we give more priority on letting roleplay play nicely.

The problem is, several characters simply pop into existance that are extremely powerfull, do a few showy things, and then disapear--This is because there's really nothing to do with them. When I first started here in olden, which was day THREE, Zayl had almost nothing. One of the best parts was working your way up, getting experience--Gaining things through a gradual process of IC acquisition.

By not allowing brand new characters to apply for things instantly, it allows the buildup of a character, the character'll last longer-- Many, Many paper thin applied characters have been made and then dropped.

Infact, I personally find that the best way to create a character is to simply introduce a rough idea into the server--a name, a changeable past--and then form him into something you'll enjoy. It's what I did with Zayl, and it's half the reason why he didn't have a character page for so long--I created the backstory as I went along, working the kinks out, and eventually adding on to him through IC interactions.

Sorry if I started to ramble, hope some of my points make sense

Yes, but forcing people to RP a single way doesn't exactly work.

As with characters that pop into existence being extremely powerful, I consider it to be simply a fault of people accepting literally everything. Someone like Kain Redwell who can destroy the world shouldn't even exist.

And there's also the issue, someone can RP that it's character is old in game and therefore can use an ability. If it's not overpowered or unbalanced, and the person can be trusted, why limit their ideas?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion   Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 7:05 pm

I have to agree with Kam to a certain extent. I agree with people being able to make new characters that
start out powerful, but I don't agree that just anyone can do it. There should be a list of people that can be
trusted with these sort of powers. (as in not abuse them, or whatever)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion   Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 7:07 pm

kamaitama wrote:
why limit their ideas?

Because it's unfair to those who had their ideas extended by earning them, and not through merit/trust.
Back to top Go down
kamaitama

kamaitama

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion   Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 7:39 pm

Richard Crimson wrote:
I have to agree with Kam to a certain extent. I agree with people being able to make new characters that
start out powerful, but I don't agree that just anyone can do it. There should be a list of people that can be
trusted with these sort of powers. (as in not abuse them, or whatever)

It's called application.

Psyche wrote:

Because it's unfair to those who had their ideas extended by earning them, and not through merit/trust.

This is roleplay. It shouldn't really matter at all how someone "earned" something, it's not a question of who's leading and who's not.

It's a play, not an arms race, let people enjoy their character if they're using it well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion   Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 8:29 pm

kamaitama wrote:

It's a play, not an arms race, let people enjoy their character if they're using it well.

That's the point of the entire thread. People don't need to create characters with OP characteristics as soon as they're made.
Back to top Go down
kamaitama

kamaitama

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion   Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 8:34 pm

Psyche wrote:
kamaitama wrote:

That's the point of the entire thread. People don't need to create characters with OP characteristics as soon as they're made.

It's not about overpowering. It's about having something to roleplay with, there's stuff you simply cannot learn and are born with.

If it is overpowered, then don't accept the damn app, and that's the end of the issue.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion   Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 10:43 pm

kamaitama wrote:
Psyche wrote:
kamaitama wrote:

It's not about overpowering. It's about having something to roleplay with, there's stuff you simply cannot learn and are born with.

If it is overpowered, then don't accept the damn app, and that's the end of the issue.

Oh, so suddenly this is our fault for accepting apps?

No, making it so a brand new character can't apply doesn't in any way limit them, it simply makes people house some sort of commitment to that char to play it for say, a week or two before apping. There's also a list of items and spells you can start with, which ontop of that you can get things via IC means, be it training or purchasing new items. So no, it does not keep them from having something to roleplay with.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion   Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 11:02 pm

I really don't know what to say,
Basically I'm half and half.
I agree but I disagree in few parts.

Mostly leaning on the disagreement side, but I haven't chose my voting personally.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion   Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 11:08 pm

I think if it is a reasonable thing that isn't on the-

"Beginners shit list to getting killed in a fight equipment list for using shitting weapons for your new character list, hey looked I used list thre- four times in this mock title!!"

it should be accepted. Like throwing axes/knives, maybe a bit out of there, maybe steel swords for someone who has the background to fit it.
Back to top Go down
https://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm161/v4v_bucket2/12325130553

PostSubject: Re: Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion   Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 11:14 pm

Gambit wrote:
I think if it is a reasonable thing that isn't on the beginners shit list to getting killed in a fight equipment list for using shitting weapons for your new character list, hey looked I used list thre- four times in this mock title!!

it should be accepted. Like throwing axes/knives, maybe a bit out of there, maybe steel swords for someone who has the background to fit it.

Or Ruta could add throwing knives to a beginner set. Also, I've never seen using a steel weapon instead of an iron weapon matter before. In fact, I've never seen much of a difference in any equipment, aside from enchanted stuff or really esoteric powerful equipment.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion   Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 11:19 pm

Psyche wrote:
Gambit wrote:
I think if it is a reasonable thing that isn't on the beginners shit list to getting killed in a fight equipment list for using shitting weapons for your new character list, hey looked I used list thre- four times in this mock title!!

Or Ruta could add throwing knives to a beginner set. Also, I've never seen using a steel weapon instead of an iron weapon matter before. In fact, I've never seen much of a difference in any equipment, aside from enchanted stuff or really esoteric powerful equipment.

Serious, I tell people to give me suggestions for the list.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion   Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion Icon_minitimeSun Jun 28, 2009 11:19 pm

HOKAY I GIVE RUTA MORE SUGGESTIONS Very Happy!
Back to top Go down
Crimzon_Reaper

Character sheet
Name: General Lord Sir Hiram Von Dickington III
Race: Cockmongoloid

PostSubject: Re: Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion   Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 11:49 am

Yes.

They screw up, they get butchered.

Fin. <3
Back to top Go down
Donixs
Basic Administrator
Donixs

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion   Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 12:11 pm

Our problem is accepting to many apps, I have to vote they shouldn't be allowed apps.

Always, admins accept apps way to eagerly, even myself have done this.

Restricting apps for new characters is a good idea.
Back to top Go down
kamaitama

kamaitama

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion   Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 2:00 pm

Rutabega wrote:

Oh, so suddenly this is our fault for accepting apps?

No, making it so a brand new character can't apply doesn't in any way limit them, it simply makes people house some sort of commitment to that char to play it for say, a week or two before apping. There's also a list of items and spells you can start with, which ontop of that you can get things via IC means, be it training or purchasing new items. So no, it does not keep them from having something to roleplay with.

Yes, yes it is. You tell me that accepting something like Kain Redwell's abilities was a good idea.

It keeps them from having something to roleplay with because it's usually not the equipment that the people want, it's oftenly the abilities. Hell, I can't find a possible way for Naria to learn for example her light forming ability, she can't use magic because she's made of it and therefore can't produce her own.

The thing is, like always, we're going to the extremes, extremes are bad. I know you guys don't wanna see some guy who was just created have an ability for whatever reason, but god damn, fact is that not everyone is the same, and therefore the results will always be different.

Doing things by IC time would make things ALOT less flexible. Like how in TES: Oblivion your character always starts in a prison with nothing, and has to build itself up, and therefore sucks to RP with since you ALWAYS start the same? I downloaded a mod just to change that. Do we really want people trying to find their ways around the system just to get what they want?

And Rutabega, turn down the hostility a notch, nobody is insulting you.
Back to top Go down
Pat
Loremaster
Pat

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion   Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion Icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2009 2:11 pm

I wanted detailed opinions, terms, different versions of the idea; And I wanted them in one place, easy to see.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion   Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fresh-from-the-bakery-characters--Discussion
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next