Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden.

Go down 
+6
McCutcheon
Rutabega
B3SERK
Blitz
Gambit
thorogoodd
10 posters
AuthorMessage
thorogoodd

thorogoodd

Character sheet
Name:

My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden. Empty
PostSubject: My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden.   My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden. Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 7:26 pm

I think we should make the firearms weaker, as in not able to penetrate plate armor but anything lower (that's not made of metal) it can get through.

Say you're firing at a bare chest and you manage to hit.

It'll get about halfway through the person and stop (depending on skin thickness).

Regular cloth won't change much for the bullet penetration unless it's thickly layer.

Soft leather will make the bullet go about 1/4 of the way through the person.

Hard leather will either make the bullet bounce off or go into the leather and possibly break some skin.

Wood could have a small hole punched into it, or just crack it a bit (depending on wood density).

Any scale mail or chain mail or anything is practically impenetrable unless you take the time to manually add extra gunpowder to the gun.

Which would make the bullet faster and have more punch, but also have much less accuracy.

And still, it'll only dent plate and knock the wind out of someone wearing chain mail or scale mail.

Still, the rarity of the materials required for gunpowder still exists.

If you ask me, all of this makes guns much, much more tolerable in Olden's RP. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post, SF, or PM me! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden.   My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden. Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 7:31 pm

Guns are guns. Physics are physics.
Back to top Go down
https://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm161/v4v_bucket2/12325130553
Blitz

Blitz

Character sheet
Name: Herr Doktor
Race: Doktor.

PostSubject: Re: My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden.   My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden. Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 7:31 pm

if you had any firearms aptitude you'd realize this doesn't make any sense.

if a bullet has enough velocity to enter a person's body, how can it not go through leather or armor.

Here's a quick rule of bullets;

the more mass, the slower the velocity it is, the more organs it tears apart

the faster and smaller it is, the more armor it can pierce through, ultimately going through the body and exiting most likely.

even something like a pirate-esque flintlock would go through armor and chainmail, the way you're making the gun is like "okay if you have nothing on then you're dead, if you wear some leaves then you should be okay."

I think it'd just be better if we left guns out, they've seemed to cause trouble in this RP.
Back to top Go down
thorogoodd

thorogoodd

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden.   My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden. Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 7:33 pm

I happen to think that guns are balanced in Olden, killing someone with a crossbow is silent and cheap, but killing someone with a gun is loud, expensive and overall, just not that productive at all.

Even without my idea implemented.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden.   My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden. Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 7:40 pm

I say this is an outright noooooo.

If we needed Nerf rifles, we'll find them.
Back to top Go down
B3SERK

B3SERK

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden.   My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden. Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 7:42 pm

thorogoodd wrote:
I happen to think that guns are balanced in Olden, killing someone with a crossbow is silent and cheap, but killing someone with a gun is loud, expensive and overall, just not that productive at all.

Even without my idea implemented.

And that's why people used guns for years instead of crossbows? Nah, guns can fuck someone up royally, and tear through armor.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden.   My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden. Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 7:42 pm

B3SERK wrote:
Nah, guns can fuck someone up royally, and tear through armor.

Crossbows beat guns to that
Back to top Go down
Rutabega
Rutabega

PostSubject: Re: My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden.   My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden. Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 7:45 pm

Guns were mostly all removed ages ago for good reason, 's all I can say about that.
Back to top Go down
McCutcheon

Character sheet
Name: Ian McCutcheon
Race: Human

PostSubject: Re: My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden.   My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden. Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 10:32 pm

This topic was a heated issue a couple of years ago. I'm surprised that its still brought up anymore. The thing that some people in particular don't get is that the reason why we don't have guns is because when they are used, people end up whining about it. Guns are a short, easy solution if you want to kill someone, therefor shorting the RP. For instance, if you were wounded with a chest shot during the colonial war, odds are you weren't going to make it to the hospital much less be treated.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden.   My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden. Icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 11:46 pm

Um, no.. Guns caused way too much hate and arguing back in the day. :[
Back to top Go down
Rutabega
Rutabega

PostSubject: Re: My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden.   My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden. Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 1:50 am

Plus riddle me this. Being a community that only uses TKs on super rare occasions how you gonna deal with this.

*Man1 stands around on the street corner*
*Man2 walks up a few paces behind him and draws a gun*
*Man1 turns, spotting Man2 just behind him*
*Man2 fired four rounds towards Man1 from a few feet away*

GL getting out of that one unless you got insta-weave or Sytgian armor.
Back to top Go down
thorogoodd

thorogoodd

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden.   My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden. Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 2:24 am

Point proven, it was just an idea after all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden.   My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden. Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 2:47 am

Rutabega wrote:
Plus riddle me this. Being a community that only uses TKs on super rare occasions how you gonna deal with this.

*Man1 stands around on the street corner*
*Man2 walks up a few paces behind him and draws a gun*
*Man1 turns, spotting Man2 just behind him*
*Man2 fired four rounds towards Man1 from a few feet away*

GL getting out of that one unless you got insta-weave or Sytgian armor.

Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet
Name: Kain Redwell
Race: Human (?)

PostSubject: Re: My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden.   My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden. Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 5:47 am

Eh.

Characters can die sometimes, you know.
Back to top Go down
Phry

Phry

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden.   My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden. Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 6:33 am

I'm still strongly against guns whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
Jack
President of the Gay Bar
Jack

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden.   My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden. Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 7:15 am

Aye, I don't want another lolguns era. That's why we completely redid Occitan recently.
Back to top Go down
Mack
THE GLORY
Mack

PostSubject: Re: My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden.   My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden. Icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 7:24 am

Jack's right. We're not revising the entire Occitanian lore to phase out a bunch of technology just so that people can suddenly whip out pistols and go "BLAT BLAT MOFO".
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden.   My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My idea for the possibility of guns in Olden.
Page 1 of 1