Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Alec Smith

Go down 
+15
thorogoodd
Markka
themodtester
Zaku
TRUlyjuST
Pat
Achosi
Blitz
Rutabega
Psycheandromida
B3SERK
ViralHatred
Omap
Munroe
Kain
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Kain

Kain

Character sheet
Name: Kain Redwell
Race: Human (?)

Alec Smith Empty
PostSubject: Alec Smith   Alec Smith Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 1:07 am

Alec Smith

Alec Smith Alecoutlinefinal

"I don't murder people. People get themselves murdered. All I do is stop fights and kill monsters."

Race: Human
Birthplace: Cault

Biography: Alec came from a family of smiths who bore the common name 'Smith.' Roughly two centuries ago, upon the advent of the Simmons Company, their family of smiths became a family of gunsmiths, working under said business that introduced the art to them. With the fall of Durender, the surviving members fled north, and eventually, left Kerodil for the continent of Talibar. Over the years, the trade secrets carried over from the era of the Simmons Company were slowly lost, though some of their secrets managed to survive the tests of time. His family business presently resides in the city of Cault, which is two hundred miles southwest of Surna, close to the coast.

In the days of Alec's youth, a peculiar movement of arcane armaments was affecting families of old known for crafting quality guns. Alec was highly influenced by this, and took up the path of a mage as he learned the art of guncraft from his father and grandfather. He didn't get very far as a mage, though, losing interest in traditional weaving. By the time he was 18, he'd learned enough to carry on the trade of gun-making, and could now assist his father and grandfather in their shop. Alas, his magical study had not gotten any further. But Alec was in luck. Spell-shots, as they called them, were the kind that tended to their own, being a rare breed of hybrid. When Alec went to learn from them, a woman by the name of Taria Elwood decided to humor the young man. She took him in, showed him how to make 'Arcane Arms', how to prepare them, and how to use them. She filled in the gaps of his magical knowledge, and managed to take him from being a magical know-nothing to a novice mage.

Now, Alec had been practicing shooting a gun since he could hold one. Half the time, he'd miss and the weapon would kick up and hit him in the face. But by the end of the year, he'd amaze Taria with a steady aim and solid shot. Now, Alec was 19 years of age, going on 20, and he'd grown to adore his teacher. She wasn't much older than him, either, being twenty three years old, and still very youthful. Alec never knew much about her private life, and though he imagined she'd already have someone she was interested in, he couldn't help his adoration. The guild Taria was a part of was traveling out of the city to find somewhere with more opportunities. There was much talk of Surna. She spoke with Alec once before she left. It was brief: an apology, and a goodbye. She told him where she was going, and why. He didn't protest or resist, but smiled and wished her well, thanking her for all she did.

For the following month, Alec sulked, until he resolved to become as skilled as his former teacher. Then, he'd go out to Surna and meet her there, impress her, and ask her to be his woman. That was his plan. It wasn't great, but it was a plan. Motivated by love, or maybe lust, Alec kept training his aim and practicing building guns. He practiced using magic, occasionally using traditional weaving, but focusing most on the use of his weapons. He grew distant from his family over the next three years.

Then, he left. Alec packed up and left. He ran before his family could stop him, and he went in search of Taria, selfishly abandoning everything for a shot at love, and leaving the family business in the hands of his younger brother. When he arrived in Surna, after a treacherous and unforgiving journey, he went in search of Taria and her guild, or at least some record of where they'd went. To his surprise, there were no records of her or her guild ever reaching the city. Of all things, he wasn't expecting this. Alec was left to his own devices, so, depression set in. He took up hunting to sustain his needs... and found that his particular arsenal of skills was built for hunting out-of-the ordinary creatures. Thus began his career as a monster hunter.

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Deity: Akash, Voar, Waukeen

Goals: Nothing, really.

DnD bullshit:
Spoiler:

Activity Log

Spoiler:

Last edited by Kain on Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:24 pm; edited 119 times in total
Back to top Go down
Munroe
DEAR GOD DON'T LOOK IN HIS EYES
Munroe

Character sheet
Name:

Alec Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith   Alec Smith Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 11:49 pm

I'm confused. Is the DnD-stuff just for measuring skills, or are you trying to bring DnD elements into the RP? I can guarantee you that not everyone will use DnD 3.5 rules to determine their success against this character in combat, so I'm assuming it's just an optional affair.

It's a cool character, and good job on the class. But, I'm not sure how well something like this would fit. If it isn't done right, it could be disastrous. To be more specific, if you plan on leveling him up based on experience points... we haven't assigned XP values to anything. If an extremely good roll causes him to do something impossible... he's just done something impossible. If you agree to PK him when his HP falls below a certain point... we don't have damage values for anything.

Even if you're only using DnD 3.5e rules to measure his skills, not everyone is familiar with what the actual numbers mean. 15 intellect? What does that mean? What is it relative to? It's a bit vague.

So, in short, if you just want to use the DnD stuff to keep track of skills, for your own personal reference, I don't see a problem with that. I do see a problem if the DnD rules enter the RP, for the reasons stated above.
Back to top Go down
Omap

Omap

Character sheet
Name:

Alec Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith   Alec Smith Icon_minitimeTue Jan 10, 2012 11:58 pm

As easy as this format makes it for me to understand your character, I don't see how well it will translate into actual RP on olden, where all combat is settled by "My wang is bigger than yours" fights.

Other than that I don't see anything wrong, but for your Hit points you might want to just take max HD+con bonus, it's more common anyway.
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet

Alec Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith   Alec Smith Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 12:11 am

I'd argue DnD is less vague than any profile presently in existence because the mechanics behind everything are clearly layed out. 10 is Average, with no bonuses and no drawbacks. 18 is the highest possible score one can get on a starting score. Anything below 10 is below average and one gets a negative bonus from their abilities because of that.

Blah blah blah long story short, I'm not going to incorporate DnD into the RP unless the admins don't mind. For the most part, this is just a way of referencing how much my character has progressed. It works better than any system I've used before, so I'd rather go with this.

The class, of course, is homebrew. I'm still working on it and haven't fully completed it. It shouldn't be too overpowered, as the class lacks many bonuses of a pure casting class and a pure combat class, but it merges some of them and makes some new features to end up with something a little new.

Anyway, I will make a small conversion guide after I've completed the dnd portion, so everyone can understand what the dnd stuff means. I'll probably need the help of the admins and any other DnD literate people here to make said guide.

Edit: Alright, Omap. I didn't do that where I came from 'cause it was kind of cheap, but sure, why not.

Last edited by Kain on Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ViralHatred
Radiation Moderator
ViralHatred

Alec Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith   Alec Smith Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 2:38 am

I'd prefer a DnD system over just presumed stats.
Back to top Go down
Http://www.Radiation-Roleplay.com
Kain

Kain

Character sheet

Alec Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith   Alec Smith Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 5:24 am

About XP values and for determining the strength of most monsters in general, DnD has an extensive list of creatures. Most can be found on danddwiki.com, and the rest are lurking around in other parts of the net. Many ought to share traits with, or be the same as those encountered in Olden.

As "for rolling an impossible roll", those things don't really happen. In DnD, you are always heavily restricted by the limits of your level, attributes and skills. The key to being strong is building toward it and using your available resources correctly. A skill check, for example, is a roll of 20. Skills are restricted by total char level + 3. If I were to try and build a gun, and the DC was 30, the highest I could ever get is 26. So, I can never make this gun at my present level. It's just impossible. I could do it at level 7, when my skill is at 10, but I'd have to keep rolling and wasting time and resources to complete this gun.

Therefore, the system is perfectly reasonable. Impossible things are still impossible, and failing important rolls has consequences, so rolls can't be abused.

Last edited by Kain on Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ViralHatred
Radiation Moderator
ViralHatred

Alec Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith   Alec Smith Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 5:25 am

Kain if you wish to use it the script has a built in !roll function.
Back to top Go down
Http://www.Radiation-Roleplay.com
Kain

Kain

Character sheet

Alec Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith   Alec Smith Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 5:27 am

You mean the one I coded in? Yeah, lol, I'm gonna use that.
Back to top Go down
B3SERK

B3SERK

Character sheet
Name:

Alec Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith   Alec Smith Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 11:52 am

Note to self, make characters in DnD format.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Munroe

Character sheet
Name:

Alec Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith   Alec Smith Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 11:55 am

Kain wrote:
As "for rolling an impossible roll", those things don't really happen. In DnD, you are always heavily restricted by the limits of your level, attributes and skills. The key to being strong is building toward it and using your available resources correctly. A skill check, for example, is a roll of 20. Skills are restricted by total char level + 3. If I were to try and build a gun, and the DC was 30, the highest I could ever get is 26. So, I can never make this gun at my present level. It's just impossible. I could do it at level 7, when my skill is at 10, but I'd have to keep rolling and wasting time and resources to complete this gun.

My mind was flashing to Scalene's anecdote about using modifiers to make an impossible knife throw. To those who haven't heard this, basically, the character was able to one-hit a powerful creature by throwing an enchanted knife from a vast distance and scoring a critical hit. I'm not sure if that utilized 3.5e rules or what, it sounds like it wouldn't be possible with them, so I guess I don't have to worry about any impossible things happening.

Quote :
I'd argue DnD is less vague than any profile presently in existence because the mechanics behind everything are clearly layed out. 10 is Average, with no bonuses and no drawbacks. 18 is the highest possible score one can get on a starting score. Anything below 10 is below average and one gets a negative bonus from their abilities because of that.

You're missing my point. Not everyone is familiar with DnD 3.5e rules. Yes, they're quite detailed and specific, but only to people who know them. Though I guess if you're following those rules to the letter, you should get a pretty balanced character.
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet

Alec Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith   Alec Smith Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 8:15 pm

Whew. It's DONE.

Alright, go ahead, do your judging.

Edit: Little snippet, I believe I have to lower the amount of gold in his posession, but ill do that later.
Back to top Go down
Omap

Omap

Character sheet
Name:

Alec Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith   Alec Smith Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 8:28 pm

I like it, I'll give this an Pass
Back to top Go down
Psycheandromida
He Who Wears Sunglasses at Night
Psycheandromida

Alec Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith   Alec Smith Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 8:31 pm

I like this 3.5 idea as much as anyone here, if not way, way more, but it falls apart if anyone else uses this character format.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Munroe

Character sheet
Name:

Alec Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith   Alec Smith Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 8:41 pm

Psycheandromida wrote:
I like this 3.5 idea as much as anyone here, if not way, way more, but it falls apart if anyone else uses this character format.

What makes you say that?
Back to top Go down
Psycheandromida
Psycheandromida

Alec Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith   Alec Smith Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 9:07 pm

Munroe wrote:
Psycheandromida wrote:

What makes you say that?

If other people used definitive stats for their characters than it leaves IC conflicts to be decided by who has the number.

I'm not outright saying that's a bad thing, just that it's something Olden has been avoiding for some time.
Back to top Go down
Rutabega
Rutabega

Alec Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith   Alec Smith Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 10:45 pm

Psycheandromida wrote:
Munroe wrote:
Psycheandromida wrote:

What makes you say that?

If other people used definitive stats for their characters than it leaves IC conflicts to be decided by who has the number.

I'm not outright saying that's a bad thing, just that it's something Olden has been avoiding for some time.

I've got to agree on that. I remember we had one event where almost every attack and such was decided by dicerolls. I'll admit I know fuckall about DnD rules and even still the event in it's self was fun but it wasn't really how Olden should feel if that makes any sense to anyone.
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet

Alec Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith   Alec Smith Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 10:53 pm

look guys

if you want to use the dnd stuff in rp with me, ok

if you want me to just make estimations and generalize everything in rp, ok

i can handle both forms just fine

the reason its in the profile is so you know exactly where the character stands. I liked the skill bars, but this makes more sense to me than the skill bars, because i have numbers and charts that give me an exact quota of what I can do. I have an exact limit to how many spells i can cast. it's all layed out in the open, and not a detail is spared.

that doesnt mean im gonna be rolling for ever action in rp, it just means i know exactly what my character is capable of and what he isn't capable of, from the most clear action to the most abstract. And because it's all up on my profile in full, so does everyone else.

also, i am typing lazily right now, deal with it.

food is good
Back to top Go down
Rutabega
Rutabega

Alec Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith   Alec Smith Icon_minitimeWed Jan 11, 2012 11:05 pm

All the same I'm going to hold off on giving an accept for now because like I said I don't know the first thing about anything DnD related and really have no way of being able to give this character good consideration until I do.
Back to top Go down
Psycheandromida
Psycheandromida

Alec Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith   Alec Smith Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 12:02 am

Rutabega wrote:
All the same I'm going to hold off on giving an accept for now because like I said I don't know the first thing about anything DnD related and really have no way of being able to give this character good consideration until I do.

Coming right up.

This is a purely technical analysis, by the way. Any speculation may not apply to in-character roleplay.

Quote :
Armor Class: 13

Armour Class, in DnD, is the number that an attacker must roll above on an attack before before determining damage. A twenty sided die is used for attack rolls, and the attacker adds any appropriate bonuses. (Base attack bonus, strength modifier, magic item enhancement bonus, etc.) This means that 13 is a very low AC, and Alec is very easy to hit with basic attacks.

Quote :
Fortitude: +1
Reflex: +3 +1 Dex bonus
Will: +3

These are saving throws. When Alec needs to defend against something other than a basic attack, he usually gauges his success by rolling a twenty-sided die and adding an appropriate bonus. Fortitude is usually for poisons and stuns. Reflex is for dodging things, or getting out of area-of-affect damage. Will is really ambiguous (all of them are, but will is most ambiguous) in the sense that it is used on a very large variety of things, like resisting mental affects, shrugging of magical effects or avoiding sonic damage. These are all fairly standard, Alec is more willful and agile than he is physically durable.

Quote :
Strength: 10
Constitution: 13
Dexterity: 12
Intellect: 15
Wisdom: 10
Charisma: 11

I'm not going to go on explaining all these, except for Constitution, Dexterity and Intelligence. A Con and Dex of 13 and 12 mean he has some moderately notable toughness and agility. An intelligence of 15 means that he is very smart. Not on-par with arch-mage or Batman, but he is much sharper than the mercenaries in Surna. Alex's ability scores are actually fairly low in terms of DnD, but they are very appropriate for roleplay.

Don't hesitate to ask for anything else analyzed.
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet

Alec Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith   Alec Smith Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 1:53 am

Yep, I played it straight with rolling this guys (yes, rolling, I rolled him. He's legit. Nothing is asspulled except the homebrew class I spent two days making.). He's got a lot of potential, but currently he's not an amazing character, even at level 3. I'll fill in where Psyche has not (warning, tl;dr ahead):

Spoiler:

Last edited by Kain on Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Blitz

Blitz

Character sheet
Name: Herr Doktor
Race: Doktor.

Alec Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith   Alec Smith Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 5:39 am

i am confuse.
Back to top Go down
Omap

Omap

Character sheet
Name:

Alec Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith   Alec Smith Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 10:35 am

Kain wrote:
Yep, I played it straight with rolling this guys (yes, rolling, I rolled him. He's legit. Nothing is asspulled except the homebrew class I spent two days making.)

Not using 32 point buy?

I seriously hope you guys don't do this.

just kidding that would have kind of been op for this roleplay, having a stat at 18 and most others at 16
Back to top Go down
Achosi

Achosi

Alec Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith   Alec Smith Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 11:21 am

I really like the character.

Also, though I'm not very familiar with the technical details of d&d, this seems to be a good way to ensure your character is balanced.

Somewhat off topic:
Omap wrote:
Kain wrote:
Yep, I played it straight with rolling this guys (yes, rolling, I rolled him. He's legit. Nothing is asspulled except the homebrew class I spent two days making.)

Not using 32 point buy?
Maybe special characters would use 32 points?
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet

Alec Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith   Alec Smith Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 12:22 pm

It's also possible (although highly unlikely) to roll 6 18's and have a really talented character. I say, if your character is talented, tweak down his starting experience and gear. If he lacks talent, tweak it up. If Alec had been more talented, I would probably have made him start at level 1 or 2.

Also, special chars will have stats over 18, for sure.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
Munroe

Character sheet
Name:

Alec Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith   Alec Smith Icon_minitimeThu Jan 12, 2012 12:53 pm

Kain wrote:
Also, special chars will have stats over 18, for sure.

4,000 STR

Okay well, my concerns have been addressed, I'll accept this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Alec Smith Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alec Smith   Alec Smith Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alec Smith
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next