Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spider Silk Armor - Shelob

Go down 
+5
Munroe
Psycheandromida
Gambit
Reager
Phear
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Phear
Angry Veteran
Phear

Character sheet
Name:
Race: Human

Spider Silk Armor - Shelob Empty
PostSubject: Spider Silk Armor - Shelob   Spider Silk Armor - Shelob Icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 10:21 pm

Normal spider silk, though not as strong as kevlar, is actually tougher than it.
I'd imagine drider silk, or at least the silk of a spider of that size, would be quite stronger.

Given months of time, and her lifetime of practice, Shelob would attempt to spin together a set of silk armor for herself, to protect from sword slashes and bullets alike.
I'm guessing that, like kevlar, a decently padded suit of spider silk could stop a bullet, but unlike kevlar, which is vulnerable to sharp weapons, spider silk is stretchy, and less prone to easy stabbing, when woven correctly.

Of course, this is all entirely up for debate. I recommend stopping by this place (arachnaphobes beware!), as I'd honestly love to know how a suit of spider silk armor would fair against said types of weapons.

Strong - "ultimate strength is the maximum stress that a material can withstand while being stretched or pulled before necking"
Tough - "toughness is the ability of a material to absorb energy and plastically deform without fracturing"
-Wikipedia
Back to top Go down
Reager

Reager

PostSubject: Re: Spider Silk Armor - Shelob   Spider Silk Armor - Shelob Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 3:37 pm

I agree that spider silk, and for how big she is and the size of the silk that could be produced, she could be able to stop a bullet. Slashes and cuts hacked into the material would cut it, but at the same time temporarily ruin someone's weapon, or if it isn't swung hard enough, it could possibly be stuck in the armor itself.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Spider Silk Armor - Shelob   Spider Silk Armor - Shelob Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 3:44 pm

So if I come at you with a spear, get a dead on hit with it, how successful will I be at ending your arachnid life?
Back to top Go down
https://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm161/v4v_bucket2/12325130553
Psycheandromida
He Who Wears Sunglasses at Night
Psycheandromida

PostSubject: Re: Spider Silk Armor - Shelob   Spider Silk Armor - Shelob Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 4:42 pm

Gambit wrote:
So if I come at you with a spear, get a dead on hit with it, how successful will I be at ending your arachnid life?

Now this is just me assuming,

But I think the weave may be pierced to some slight degree, not as much as normal cloth. And even if it wasn't pierced, there's still damage to the wearer sustained from the pure force of the blow that could cause some hurt.

Last edited by Psycheandromida on Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Munroe
DEAR GOD DON'T LOOK IN HIS EYES
Munroe

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Spider Silk Armor - Shelob   Spider Silk Armor - Shelob Icon_minitimeThu Jan 19, 2012 4:50 pm

Just take a warhammer to that shit.

Dead Drider.
Back to top Go down
Phear
Angry Veteran
Phear

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Spider Silk Armor - Shelob   Spider Silk Armor - Shelob Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 7:25 pm

Bump?

This is in applications for a reason :/
Would prefer to not get auto-deleted due to inactivity...
Back to top Go down
Mikoel

Mikoel

PostSubject: Re: Spider Silk Armor - Shelob   Spider Silk Armor - Shelob Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 10:28 pm

I throw in my accept, seems logical enough
Back to top Go down
Achosi

Achosi

PostSubject: Re: Spider Silk Armor - Shelob   Spider Silk Armor - Shelob Icon_minitimeSun Jan 22, 2012 11:30 pm

My acceptance.
Back to top Go down
themodtester

themodtester

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Spider Silk Armor - Shelob   Spider Silk Armor - Shelob Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 12:45 am

Accept because pear
Back to top Go down
Markka
Markka

Character sheet
Name: Mirage Silverspine

PostSubject: Re: Spider Silk Armor - Shelob   Spider Silk Armor - Shelob Icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 6:26 am

I assume this is accepted.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spider Silk Armor - Shelob   Spider Silk Armor - Shelob Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spider Silk Armor - Shelob
Page 1 of 1