Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

rp_forestvillage

Go down 
+15
Kali
Reager
themodtester
PuPeT-KaI
ViralHatred
Mikoel
TRUlyjuST
Rutabega
thorogoodd
Kain
Gambit
Krug
Munroe
Christoph
Dragon
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Dragon

Dragon

Character sheet
Name: Evangeline Melwasúl
Race: Half-Elf

rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: rp_forestvillage    rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 12:48 pm

I may adjust the light first and see if it's still there actually. Turns out the light_environment shines the opposite way the sun does, so it's like a magic sun. Anyway, I have an idea for swapping to night mode without needing to change maps and download a second map, but it'd have to be coded in.

Get the light_environment and change the color to one I can specify of course. Move the sun's origin and change the sprite to a moon one, which if one doesn't exist I can make. I'd add two models to the skybox which are both just planes, one being clouds and the other being a background, to replace the current (the mountains would stay). The script would then use this background atmosphere model to tint for night time, and shadows can probably be darkened a little more with the shadow_control entity. This would have to be done by the script though, and whenever !setnight or something is called.
Back to top Go down
ViralHatred
Radiation Moderator
ViralHatred

PostSubject: Re: rp_forestvillage    rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 1:34 pm

Alternatively just make a night one. Since trying to combine the two is not an effective use of resources.
Back to top Go down
Http://www.Radiation-Roleplay.com
Dragon

Dragon

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: rp_forestvillage    rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Actually it wouldn't hurt resources much at all to do it this way. The only thing the script would do is modify some variables of three entities and tint a model.
Back to top Go down
Reager

Reager

PostSubject: Re: rp_forestvillage    rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 1:49 pm

It's just a scripted conditional right? If you say this, make these things appear? If so, it shouldn't be too hurtful, very effective actually.
Back to top Go down
Dragon

Dragon

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: rp_forestvillage    rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 2:21 pm

It'd be one thing to make a dynamic skybox like minecraft, but that'd be very heavy on things, and most of it impossible with mere lua. I just meant a quick swap from day to night.
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet
Name: Kain Redwell
Race: Human (?)

PostSubject: Re: rp_forestvillage    rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 3:14 pm

Would be willing to help code it in if you tell me what you want done.
Back to top Go down
Kali

Kali

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: rp_forestvillage    rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 3:29 pm

it'd be a good idea to learn what source is capable of before trying to do things like that.

just make a static light and stop trying to break the source engine

as a suggestion, it might be an idea to actually finish the map itself before trying to ram in fancy things that probably aren't going to work. you know, so you don't spend trying to get something impossible to work and forget all about the rest of the map.

Last edited by Kali on Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
ViralHatred
Radiation Moderator
ViralHatred

PostSubject: Re: rp_forestvillage    rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 3:31 pm

Yeah giggles, you can't modify a light_environment on the fly, since static lighting is baked onto a map during compile.

Quote :
Static lighting is compiled into Lightmaps, which illuminate brushes and models, and Cubemaps, which provide static reflections. It is free to render, as additional static lights only alter that which is already being processed.

https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Lighting

Kali wrote:
as a suggestion, it might be an idea to actually finish the map itself

Kali is professional in this field, listen to him.
Back to top Go down
Dragon

Dragon

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: rp_forestvillage    rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 05, 2012 6:54 pm

The smoke on the far left is the one both chimneys use currently. I may use the second to the left, or the one on the far right though instead.
rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Rp_forestvillage_v20000-2

The new cubemaps work well on the water. Not sure whether I like it or not yet.
rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Rp_forestvillage_v20001-2
Back to top Go down
Dragon

Dragon

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: rp_forestvillage    rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 7:36 pm

Okay I've got two choices. I can upload an early beta version of the map, or I can't. Basically if you guys are willing to download the new map, you won't get many aesthetic changes, YET, but you will get a fair amount of increased performance from optimization, plus a night version. So let me know what you think. Want an early beta version + nigh version in exchange for having to download it, or want to just wait?
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet
Name: Kain Redwell
Race: Human (?)

PostSubject: Re: rp_forestvillage    rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 06, 2012 8:59 pm

I say, let's do it.
Back to top Go down
Zaku

Zaku

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: rp_forestvillage    rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 11:30 am

I say wait, and add some more changes.

Turn the random tower on the corner of town into a sizable keep, give it another floor and a bell tower at the top.
Make rooms off all the static buildings that you can't go in.
In the courtyard, delete all the props. I hate those stupid things, they just get in the way.
In the courtyard, add a door to the wall, with stairs going up. So that the city is easier to traverse.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.
Back to top Go down
Dragon

Dragon

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: rp_forestvillage    rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 2:13 pm

I'm still going to add the changes, I just mean upload early for people to go ahead and play. It just means they'll have to download it again later, but for the time being they get the optimization boosts, plus a night version I need to compile right now.

EDIT: Compiled

rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Rp_forestvillage_v2_beta_night0000-1
rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Rp_forestvillage_v2_beta_night0001
rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Rp_forestvillage_v2_beta_night0002
Back to top Go down
Achosi

Achosi

PostSubject: Re: rp_forestvillage    rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 3:22 pm

Sexy.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: rp_forestvillage    rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 4:04 pm

Nice work.
Back to top Go down
https://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm161/v4v_bucket2/12325130553
Markka
Markka

Character sheet
Name: Mirage Silverspine
Race: Human

PostSubject: Re: rp_forestvillage    rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 5:48 pm

Ooo. Purty.
Back to top Go down
Kali

Kali

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: rp_forestvillage    rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 6:36 pm

get rid of the smoke or fix it since it looks like ass

you should seriously be worried about what you're burning if your smoke glows in the dark
Back to top Go down
Dragon

Dragon

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: rp_forestvillage    rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 7:22 pm

That's because source used unlit items everywhere, so light doesn't effect it at all. I can't look to see what the original night version did either, sadly.
Back to top Go down
Kali

Kali

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: rp_forestvillage    rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 7:49 pm

just get rid of it, it looks pretty bad in the daytime version too.
Back to top Go down
Dragon

Dragon

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: rp_forestvillage    rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 07, 2012 8:18 pm

I'm still working on making it look better, for now it's the same thing with a new particle though. I'll worry about it later, this map is mostly optimization.
Back to top Go down
ViralHatred
Radiation Moderator
ViralHatred

PostSubject: Re: rp_forestvillage    rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 7:28 am

Let me know when you've upped it so I can put it on server.
Back to top Go down
Dragon

Dragon

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: rp_forestvillage    rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 11:28 am

It's basically done, I just never bothered to pakrat it yet because auto wasn't working, and it looks like Oskutin crammed in every model he could even if it wasn't used, so I'd rather not just copy the data from the original. I'll figure something out today though most likely.
Back to top Go down
ViralHatred
Radiation Moderator
ViralHatred

PostSubject: Re: rp_forestvillage    rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 1:09 pm

Don't pack any hl2/css content. ep1/ep2/custom do pack.
Back to top Go down
Dragon

Dragon

Character sheet

PostSubject: Re: rp_forestvillage    rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 7:38 pm

Had some troubles getting it packed. Pakrat didn't work, so I tried PackBSP. Didn't work either. VIDE did work, but packed too much content and left me with 100mb sized maps. Anyway, after fiddling with it, the maps work and are 50mb or so each (the old was 45, so a couple additional textures and cubemaps raise it slightly). The bzip2 versions are 20mb or so. Anyway, I'll post a link on the main page.
Back to top Go down
Gambit

Gambit

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: rp_forestvillage    rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 09, 2012 8:51 pm

Sweet thanks for your work
Back to top Go down
https://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm161/v4v_bucket2/12325130553
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: rp_forestvillage    rp_forestvillage  - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

rp_forestvillage
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Olden Roleplay :: OOC Chat :: Development-
Jump to: