Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Asian Katana vs European Long sword

Go down 
+7
Munroe
Psycheandromida
Kain
B3SERK
Mack
Krug
Akusun
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Akusun

Character sheet
Name:
Race: Human

Asian Katana vs European Long sword Empty
PostSubject: Asian Katana vs European Long sword   Asian Katana vs European Long sword Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 9:17 am

I notice on another that that someone said that most European swords are greater then a Katana. I'm here to prove the Katana to be Equal or stronger then the basic Long sword which was the Standard issue in medieval Europe.

By basic uses the Katana is more versatile and has a better blade overall.

" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen >
You don't see a long sword doing that.
http://www.thearma.org/essays/longsword-and-katana.html Proven to be equal at the least

Feel free to send in your own Ideas.

Last edited by Akusun on Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:07 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Krug

Krug

PostSubject: Re: Asian Katana vs European Long sword   Asian Katana vs European Long sword Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 9:21 am

The sword world continues to overlook, in my opinion, the efficiency and power and I'd even say majesty of the greatsword.
Back to top Go down
Akusun

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Asian Katana vs European Long sword   Asian Katana vs European Long sword Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 9:26 am

Ramona wrote:
The sword world continues to overlook, in my opinion, the efficiency and power and I'd even say majesty of the greatsword.
Ah, but the Great sword was a heavy weapon and never standard issue. It would only be used by specific soldiers.
Back to top Go down
Mack
THE GLORY
Mack

PostSubject: Re: Asian Katana vs European Long sword   Asian Katana vs European Long sword Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 9:31 am

I'd like to see your pansy-arse katana-wielding samurai/ninja stand his own in a fight against a member of DIE OKZITANISCHEN ORDER.

You have no chance, Auslander. Bid your time, for soon, your verdict will be issued by the Saints themselves.

no but in all seriousness.
The greatsword is way underappreciated in my opinion. a big sword like this, can make it look easy to make that difficult cut.
Back to top Go down
Krug

Krug

PostSubject: Re: Asian Katana vs European Long sword   Asian Katana vs European Long sword Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 9:33 am

The katana was the best in its own field, much as the longsword was in its own too.

Honestly it all comes down to what you're trying to do.

In short, the katana really only worked in battles involving no armour. (ie, feudal japan)
Back to top Go down
Akusun

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Asian Katana vs European Long sword   Asian Katana vs European Long sword Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 9:56 am

Ramona wrote:
The katana was the best in its own field, much as the longsword was in its own too.

Honestly it all comes down to what you're trying to do.

In short, the katana really only worked in battles involving no armour. (ie, feudal japan)

The Samuri wore a form of plate armor that the katana was still able to damage. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai

Though the major weakness of the Katana was chainmail something flexible and sturdy .Unlike a basic steel plate that could be sliced or stabbed through.
Back to top Go down
B3SERK

B3SERK

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Asian Katana vs European Long sword   Asian Katana vs European Long sword Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 10:08 am

I told you all that katana was better, I was just too lazy to link videos, JOHN UDGRAD KATANA MAKING MODE GO.
Back to top Go down
Mack
THE GLORY
Mack

PostSubject: Re: Asian Katana vs European Long sword   Asian Katana vs European Long sword Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 10:10 am

katanas are bad and you should feel bad
Back to top Go down
Akusun

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Asian Katana vs European Long sword   Asian Katana vs European Long sword Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 10:13 am

Mackalian wrote:
katanas are bad and you should feel bad

Asian Katana vs European Long sword Dnw_zoidberg
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet
Name: Kain Redwell
Race: Human (?)

PostSubject: Re: Asian Katana vs European Long sword   Asian Katana vs European Long sword Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 5:44 pm

Katana vs european sword itself, the latter will survive. Katana has power due to its shape, but it's real strongpoint is due to the style made to use it, not the sword itself ( example: the long handle itself is what allows the user to give it so much power and speed, and its shape makes it a quick-draw sword, since you can swing it out with a twist of your torso), but it's more likely to snap than your regular longsword or broadsword, which are, overall, sturdier and thicker.

I believe Psyche and I have discussed this thoroughly. Leaf blade is where it's at.
Back to top Go down
Psycheandromida
He Who Wears Sunglasses at Night
Psycheandromida

PostSubject: Re: Asian Katana vs European Long sword   Asian Katana vs European Long sword Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 7:43 pm

Kain wrote:
Katana vs european sword itself, the latter will survive. Katana has power due to its shape, but it's real strongpoint is due to the style made to use it, not the sword itself ( example: the long handle itself is what allows the user to give it so much power and speed, and its shape makes it a quick-draw sword, since you can swing it out with a twist of your torso), but it's more likely to snap than your regular longsword or broadsword, which are, overall, sturdier and thicker.

I believe Psyche and I have discussed this thoroughly. Leaf blade is where it's at.

The only possible flaws I see with the leaf blade is that it could be on the heavy side, and possibly difficult to unsheathe, but yeah, Kain has a point. Longsword/broadswords are by no means lesser than the Katana, and the Leaf Blade is a taste of both worlds.
Back to top Go down
Munroe
DEAR GOD DON'T LOOK IN HIS EYES
Munroe

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Asian Katana vs European Long sword   Asian Katana vs European Long sword Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 10:36 pm

B3SERK wrote:
I told you all that katana was better, I was just too lazy to link videos, JOHN UDGRAD KATANA MAKING MODE GO.

For every video that "proves" the katana is better, you could probably find a video that "proves" the longsword is better.

I'm with Kain and Psyche on this one.
Back to top Go down
Monkeyfisker

Monkeyfisker

PostSubject: Re: Asian Katana vs European Long sword   Asian Katana vs European Long sword Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 11:49 pm

Kain wrote:
Leaf blade is where it's at.
Asian Katana vs European Long sword Sceptile
Back to top Go down
Akusun

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Asian Katana vs European Long sword   Asian Katana vs European Long sword Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 12:13 am

I am a fan of the Katana not just for It's blade but for it's fighting style. The purpmose to avoid all daage using quick foot work and Strike on any opening just appeals to me more then the highly Strength based fighting syle of European swords.
Back to top Go down
Psycheandromida
Psycheandromida

PostSubject: Re: Asian Katana vs European Long sword   Asian Katana vs European Long sword Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 12:21 am

Akusun wrote:
I am a fan of the Katana not just for It's blade but for it's fighting style. The purpmose to avoid all daage using quick foot work and Strike on any opening just appeals to me more then the highly Strength based fighting syle of European swords.

You mean the fighting style of the katana being it's not supposed to be used in fights that last longer than three seconds, while European swords, especially rapiers, require actual sword fighting. It isn't a style or preference thing, katanas were made to kill anything vulnerable in one hit, but that's it. The Japanese had many other weapons, y'know.
Back to top Go down
Akusun

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Asian Katana vs European Long sword   Asian Katana vs European Long sword Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 12:33 am

Psycheandromida wrote:
Akusun wrote:

You mean the fighting style of the katana being it's not supposed to be used in fights that last longer than three seconds, while European swords, especially rapiers, require actual sword fighting. It isn't a style or preference thing, katanas were made to kill anything vulnerable in one hit, but that's it. The Japanese had many other weapons, y'know.

The Sport of Kendo still exists. It is japanese style sword fighting and the matches can be quite long. It makes full use of blocking and Timing. I forgot about Rapier's, I like the way they are used too.
Back to top Go down
Rutabega
Rutabega

PostSubject: Re: Asian Katana vs European Long sword   Asian Katana vs European Long sword Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 12:36 am

Ups to your butter knives, give me a medieval war hammer any day.

Asian Katana vs European Long sword KE-2607
Back to top Go down
Psycheandromida
Psycheandromida

PostSubject: Re: Asian Katana vs European Long sword   Asian Katana vs European Long sword Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 12:41 am

Eh, if you want to talk about weapon of choice, then I'd just get upset over how much I want a real light-saber.
Back to top Go down
Akusun

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Asian Katana vs European Long sword   Asian Katana vs European Long sword Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 12:46 am

Psycheandromida wrote:
Eh, if you want to talk about weapon of choice, then I'd just get upset over how much I want a real light-saber.
LOL.
more so I made this thread to prove that katana's are just as effective as European swords.
Back to top Go down
Rutabega
Rutabega

PostSubject: Re: Asian Katana vs European Long sword   Asian Katana vs European Long sword Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 12:48 am

Akusun wrote:
Psycheandromida wrote:
LOL.
more so I made this thread to prove that katana's are just as effective as European swords.

Both kill you just as easily, enough said.
Back to top Go down
Mack
THE GLORY
Mack

PostSubject: Re: Asian Katana vs European Long sword   Asian Katana vs European Long sword Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 8:21 am

Quote :
The Sport of Kendo still exists. It is japanese style sword fighting and the matches can be quite long. It makes full use of blocking and Timing. I forgot about Rapier's, I like the way they are used too.

you do realise that kendo uses very, very, very, very, very thick wooden swords, right?
Back to top Go down
Akusun

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Asian Katana vs European Long sword   Asian Katana vs European Long sword Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 8:33 am

Mackalian wrote:
Quote :

you do realise that kendo uses very, very, very, very, very thick wooden swords, right?

I've done Kendo the purpose of it is to keep what was called the "Art" of Sword fighting alive. The sword fighting styles are the same that were used by the samurai. The only Reason the Sword is larger is for sturdiness and to match the weight of the Katana while using bamboo. There is also a Sting Running down the sword to represent the back side which would not have a blade and therefor would not be be able to get a point for hitting the opponent with that side.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Asian Katana vs European Long sword   Asian Katana vs European Long sword Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 8:40 am

Swords won't save you from BULLETS. Asian Katana vs European Long sword 268153
Back to top Go down
Mack
THE GLORY
Mack

PostSubject: Re: Asian Katana vs European Long sword   Asian Katana vs European Long sword Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 8:41 am

i'm sorry but i couldn't decipher that sentence, like at all
Back to top Go down
Akusun

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: Asian Katana vs European Long sword   Asian Katana vs European Long sword Icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 8:43 am

xeno586 wrote:
Swords won't save you from BULLETS. Asian Katana vs European Long sword 268153

Watch the Second Video. >: D
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Asian Katana vs European Long sword   Asian Katana vs European Long sword Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Asian Katana vs European Long sword
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next