Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RP_Warpevent official

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Omap

Omap

Character sheet
Name:

RP_Warpevent official Empty
PostSubject: RP_Warpevent official   RP_Warpevent official Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 8:59 am

This is the map RP_Warpevent that I've made for olden to be used right after the siege storyline. Unfortunately they decided not to use it. This map was designed to be used for maybe 1-2 days maximum, preferably no more than a few hours as a transition map. Because Olden's administration decided not to use it, I am posting it here so you all can at least see it. If you would like to give me feedback on it, please feel free to do so in a reply. I love to hear constructive criticism.

http://www.garrysmod.org/downloads/?a=view&id=116386
Back to top Go down
Kali

Kali

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: RP_Warpevent official   RP_Warpevent official Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 12:34 pm

When doing destruction, look at the material and break it accordingly. Wood planks wouldn't break into triangular chunks, and nor would brick walls. Breaking them up into individual bricks or planks would make it look a lot better unless there's some kind of funky magical forces causing them to break that way on purpose.

The wall in the inn seems weird too because it's just breaking into weirdly long planks and opening outwards almost. As for the floating island itself, it'd improve it a lot if you used displacements instead of just making it a big cone, then you could shape it more interestingly, and maybe add more flying debris and chunks of land floating elsewhere.

The skybox also seems pretty odd, If you've got your light_environment inside the actual map, then it won't light the 3d skybox, if you have your light_environment in the 3d skybox, it'll still work the same as it would if it was placed inside the map area. A custom skybox texture probably would've helped you out here, too, since most HL2 skyboxes don't have a bottom to them.

More detail like piles of debris and rubble around the buildings would look good, and maybe just some town props scattered around, it's weird how nowhere has windows, and the doorframes are all empty.

When making medieval maps as well, it's a good idea to look at reference material, since currently, to be fair, your buildings are just blocks with stone textures slapped on them, and aren't really very interesting

. If you have your own architectural style to fit the setting, that's fine, but it's a little bland if the buildings are meant to be blocky and simplistic. Detail in buildings always makes them look more interesting and beleivable. I know medieval architecture is hard to do and i'm not amazing at it myself, but it's easy to kind of recreate if you look at reference pictures and try to recreate styles.
Back to top Go down
Omap

Omap

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: RP_Warpevent official   RP_Warpevent official Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 4:26 pm

Thanks for the tips, I made this quickly (Back when I thought the siege event was happening in days, not weeks) but I get where you're coming from

I'm going to post the next map I'm making soon, It's going to be an incomplete work (Not done with it yet) but it's got some actual detailed architecture.

Exept. the Light enviroment.

Code:
The properties of this entity apply to the whole map. Multiple instances of this entity within a map may cause errors. A 3D Skybox does not require an extra light_environment placement. If multiple light_environment entities are placed, Vrad uses the keyvalues from the first placed light_environment to calculate the lighting.

Doesn't matter where you put it.

Last edited by Omap on Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kali

Kali

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: RP_Warpevent official   RP_Warpevent official Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 4:28 pm

Odd.

I only said that since one map i worked on a while back, the 3d skybox wasn't lit when the light_environment was inside the map area, but once i moved the light_environment into the 3d skybox, everywhere was lit.

I must've screwed up something else with that, then.
Back to top Go down
Omap

Omap

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: RP_Warpevent official   RP_Warpevent official Icon_minitimeWed Apr 27, 2011 4:29 pm

Maybe you had a leak or something. No idea
Back to top Go down
ViralHatred
Radiation Moderator
ViralHatred

PostSubject: Re: RP_Warpevent official   RP_Warpevent official Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 9:48 am

Omap wrote:
Doesn't matter where you put it.

Your quote proves nothing however.

It says it applies it "to the whole of the map";

What it infact means is that it applies based on brushwork with the tools_skybox texture applied.

Also placing the light_environment in the void will remove it. Light_environment is not affected by leaks however.

So yes, it does matter where you put it.
Back to top Go down
Http://www.Radiation-Roleplay.com
Omap

Omap

Character sheet
Name:

PostSubject: Re: RP_Warpevent official   RP_Warpevent official Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2011 2:17 pm

Doesn't matter where you put it in the map*

I kind of assume people aren't retarded enough to stick things out in the Void
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RP_Warpevent official   RP_Warpevent official Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RP_Warpevent official
Page 1 of 1