Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Olden Roleplay
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome!

HomeGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Olden Content Pack

Go down 
+9
Dama Oscura
Zaku
Xeloras
Kain
ViralHatred
Krug
Psycheandromida
Cakebread
Dragon
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dragon

Dragon

Character sheet
Name: Evangeline Melwasúl
Race: Half-Elf

Olden Content Pack Empty
PostSubject: Olden Content Pack   Olden Content Pack Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 10:48 pm

Okay, so I'm working on building a content pack specifically for olden. It currently just has a few models I'm pulling from skyrim, but I'll add more to it as time goes by (and as Rutabega requests more).

VERSION: 0.1 (2/3/2012)
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD

To install, drop the Olden Content Pack folder into your addons folder (garrysmod/garrysmod).

Currently it only has two models, but you're still more than welcome to use them. Check back now and then for updates though.

INCOMING UPDATE:
Olden Content Pack DEVPAGEIMG

Been working on more models which will be prepared upon script/server change. The cape and the loin cloth on both player models move. I'm still porting plenty more swords, a couple guard models, and a female version of the steel armor. I'll talk to Pat/Ruta about which models are public and how they'll work, then post back here when I know.

Last edited by Dragon on Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cakebread

Cakebread

Character sheet
Name:
Race: Human

Olden Content Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olden Content Pack   Olden Content Pack Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 11:02 pm

Why don't we use the oblivion content pack and use pac as well to make some nice player models?
Back to top Go down
Dragon

Dragon

Character sheet

Olden Content Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olden Content Pack   Olden Content Pack Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 11:04 pm

This is skyrim, although it uses the exact same tools as Oblivion, so I can pull anything from the game and optimize it. Bethesda sucks with LoD and optimization, that's the main problem, but it's not too hard to fix. Aside from that, PAC should be added, yeah.
Back to top Go down
Cakebread

Cakebread

Character sheet
Name:
Race: Human

Olden Content Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olden Content Pack   Olden Content Pack Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 11:17 pm

We should also use Morrowind swords and helms they were epic stuff.
Back to top Go down
Dragon

Dragon

Character sheet

Olden Content Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olden Content Pack   Olden Content Pack Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 11:22 pm

Not sure about that one, unless they're remade somewhere. Those are from like, 10 years ago.
Back to top Go down
Psycheandromida
He Who Wears Sunglasses at Night
Psycheandromida

Olden Content Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olden Content Pack   Olden Content Pack Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 11:51 pm

there's a giant morrowind model pack on garrysmod.org

tho it all looks bad and would just mean more errors for new people
Back to top Go down
Krug

Krug

Olden Content Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olden Content Pack   Olden Content Pack Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 4:33 am

Yeah the morrowind pack is awfully low res. Seen it in use before and ehhhhhh.
Back to top Go down
ViralHatred
Radiation Moderator
ViralHatred

Olden Content Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olden Content Pack   Olden Content Pack Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 9:56 am

Do remember I have to host this on the server and you're already hitting the memory cap just from the pointless stuff you spawn in your houses.
Back to top Go down
Http://www.Radiation-Roleplay.com
Dragon

Dragon

Character sheet

Olden Content Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olden Content Pack   Olden Content Pack Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 10:33 am

That's why I'm trying to optimize these models best as possible as well, though that may not help with networking them still. If you refuse to change vanilla script, please for the love of god at least rewrite a portion of it. Most likely a good portion of that lag is from the script itself, while the other portion is from the map/props.
Back to top Go down
ViralHatred
Radiation Moderator
ViralHatred

Olden Content Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olden Content Pack   Olden Content Pack Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 10:40 am

I didn't say "Lag"

I said "Memory Cap"

Memory is used up when the map is running, errors through the console log, props are spawned, players are online and such.

It's not the script because when nobody is online the memory usage doesn't increase.

The lag is caused when you get close to the memory cap which results in the "jittering" you get when trying to move around and such.

I then have to manually shutdown and restart the server to lower the memory usage.
Back to top Go down
Kain

Kain

Character sheet
Name: Kain Redwell
Race: Human (?)

Olden Content Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olden Content Pack   Olden Content Pack Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 10:50 am

Actually, people being online can also affect the script since the script pulls up more data for each person that joins. However, this should be negligible... For the server to take such heavy hits from props doesn't speak well of the server. I'm concerned that our box is really shitty.

Last edited by Kain on Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dragon

Dragon

Character sheet

Olden Content Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olden Content Pack   Olden Content Pack Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 11:00 am

That too. I'm not lecturing you or anything, viral, I just know that the script is going to worsen the lag as well.
Back to top Go down
ViralHatred
Radiation Moderator
ViralHatred

Olden Content Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olden Content Pack   Olden Content Pack Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 11:11 am

Kain wrote:
Actually, people being online can also affect the script since the script pulls up more data for each person that joins. However, this should be negligible... For the server to take such heavy hits from props doesn't speak well of the server. I'm concerned that our box is really shitty.

It takes heavy hits because you people fill up like 5 houses full of props and don't remove them when you leave. I have to get Kali to whizz about removing them.

Doesn't help that straight after a restart you instantly go and spawn them all. It's half the reason I've not add the prop saver to the server.

The box is the best reasonable host I can find, and since I'm paying for it out of my own pocket (Pat and Ruta have jobs, can they not get one?)
Back to top Go down
Dragon

Dragon

Character sheet

Olden Content Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olden Content Pack   Olden Content Pack Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 12:13 pm

Fnox offered a server but you declined. Razz
Back to top Go down
Krug

Krug

Olden Content Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olden Content Pack   Olden Content Pack Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 12:38 pm

Dragon wrote:

Yeah cause it runs the troubled Tiramisu.
Back to top Go down
ViralHatred
Radiation Moderator
ViralHatred

Olden Content Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olden Content Pack   Olden Content Pack Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 12:49 pm

Krug wrote:
Dragon wrote:

Yeah cause it runs the troubled Tiramisu.

Actually I think it was more because you would have been guinea pigs again.
Back to top Go down
Dragon

Dragon

Character sheet

Olden Content Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olden Content Pack   Olden Content Pack Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 1:00 pm

Even so, its a free server. At least tiramisu doesn't lag like shit, nor does it clog up after a couple hours of use.
Back to top Go down
ViralHatred
Radiation Moderator
ViralHatred

Olden Content Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olden Content Pack   Olden Content Pack Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 1:11 pm

Dragon wrote:
Even so, its a free server. At least tiramisu doesn't lag like shit, nor does it clog up after a couple hours of use.

It's not free.

Quote :
Adjective: Not under the control or in the power of another; able to act or be done as one wishes.

Granted mine isn't "Free" but if the community asks for changes/mods/etc I add them. Sure I'm not using Tira, but I hardly see the entire community lobbying for me to do it. This community had a really bad time with Tiramisu, especially with the way FNox handled himself and it so it's not surprising they don't want it.

Constantly plugging it won't make them change their minds, it's something you'd have to demonstrate to them.

Cakescript isn't perfect, but It does the job well enough until the community states otherwise. If you wish to talk about this further, simply open up a thread.
Back to top Go down
Krug

Krug

Olden Content Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olden Content Pack   Olden Content Pack Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 1:36 pm

I'm very grateful for the server we have now, and I'm very happy with it.

It works just fine without Tiramisu. There are some nifty perks but there's towering cons to that script. On the whole- would we really ever need it?
Back to top Go down
ViralHatred
Radiation Moderator
ViralHatred

Olden Content Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olden Content Pack   Olden Content Pack Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 1:41 pm

Dragon/Giggles any chance you could look into the morrowind weapons and see if there are any higher res textures?
Back to top Go down
Dragon

Dragon

Character sheet

Olden Content Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olden Content Pack   Olden Content Pack Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 1:43 pm

I'm not complaining about you or the server, I just have a feeling it would be so much better with a different script. Many our outtdated though and openaura is just garbage. With tiramisu, you could simply agree to use it should he customize it how you like. It's much better than before, and should be tested again before rejection. That and he mentioned before something I can help with, ie custom tails and such.
Back to top Go down
Xeloras
Arrogant Prick of an Admin
Xeloras

Olden Content Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olden Content Pack   Olden Content Pack Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 1:46 pm

Last time I looked at Tiramisu 2, there were vision rending bugs that littered about it. But they seem to be fixed by the time I check it now, but I don't know how well it works under the stress we put our server under.

But beyond that, it's not finished. When Tiramisu 2 is finished, feel free to propose it to us, and we'll take a look, maybe even try it. But not now. The cakescript we have is beautiful in its simplicity, and Viral has been incredibly generous in every aspect. I don't think we need any changes. Like Viral said, make a thread about it if you have anything further to say on the matter.
Back to top Go down
Dragon

Dragon

Character sheet

Olden Content Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olden Content Pack   Olden Content Pack Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 2:06 pm

I'm not complaining about you or the server, I just have a feeling it would be so much better with a different script. Many our outtdated though and openaura is just garbage. With tiramisu, you could simply agree to use it should he customize it how you like. It's much better than before, and should be tested again before rejection. That and he mentioned before something I can help with, ie custom tails and such.
Back to top Go down
Zaku

Zaku

Character sheet
Name:

Olden Content Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olden Content Pack   Olden Content Pack Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 3:58 pm

I like Tiramisu.
Back to top Go down
Dama Oscura

Dama Oscura

Olden Content Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olden Content Pack   Olden Content Pack Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 4:32 pm

Here's a fact. Tiramisu stresses the network far less than Cakescript due to Cakescript quite literally networking every single character and player field. This is no joke, you can check the script, I can point you to the lines. It also sends the character list like every time the rest of the data is networked.

So that thing about resource consumption? That's a total lie. You can stop claiming that anytime now cause I can bring you in some charts if you'd like to.

Secondly, about simplicity. Tiramisu 2 provides a GUI for pretty much everything that was once a console command or a chat command, or even crap that had to be scripted an item. Wanna ban somebody? Right click->Admin->Ban. Wanna make an item? Right click a prop, Admin->Turn Into Item. You can write on OOC directly by writing into the OOC channel, you can PM someone by writing on it's channel, and so on. In terms of simplicity, I can bet that Tiramisu wins, and in terms of usability, I can assure it does to.

Third, the guinea pig argument. I NEVER used Olden as some form of testing grounds. Tiramisu was very new then and introduced some concepts nobody else used. This is why the script was rather unstable. The feedback I got for it was rather bad, criticism mostly focusing on how it was different and not what could be done to make it better. I released bug fixes in an almost daily manner, and as far as I recall I acknowledged most suggestions. I didn't ask for admin, in fact, I didn't ask for anything, I wasn't even admin (Like you seem to be, ViralHatred), I literally wanted to just make a script for Olden, the best one it could have.

How about we all stick to the facts, everyone?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Olden Content Pack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Olden Content Pack   Olden Content Pack Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Olden Content Pack
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next